It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says no plans to sign new climate change pacts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The United States, considered an environmental laggard by its critics, is unlikely to sign any new pacts on climate change at a key environmental meeting this month, a senior U.S. official said on Thursday.

Signatories to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change will meet between Dec. 6-17 in Buenos Aires, where many environmentalists hope new far-reaching targets will be made.

Russia's recent life-giving ratification of the Protocol, an international pact that aims to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 2012, has energised conference participants like the European Union, seen as a world leader in the fight against global warming.

But the United States, which backed out of the Kyoto agreement, feels it is too early to assign post 2012 targets, senior U.S. climate negotiator Harlan Watson told reporters.

www.alertnet.org...

For all the talking Bush does about being environmentally friendly, and with the nomination of his new energy chief being trumped up as an environmentally friendly man, the refusal to back the Kyoto agreement, and now having no plans to sign this new climate change pack doesn't jive. Bush is just protecting and favouring his big business friends who are the large polluters.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by sensfan]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
this is part of the issue when it comes to why the world is so critical of us now. We are a major contributer to the pollution of the earth, but we're above trying to help fix the problems we help create. The hypocracy of this administration is frustrating and doesn't contribute to changing how the world sees us and why so many hate us.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yeah, I hear ya....

Despite China, Australia, India, and a few others not signing on to the Kyoto Accords, its always the U.S., eh?
Despite the mere factoid that Canada, the UK, Greece, Russia, Finland, and a few others admitting to not being able to meet emission requirements of the Kyoto Accords, its still always the U.S.....
Even despite this:
Greens Concede Kyoto Will Not Impact 'Global Warming'

Its still the hypocritical U.S., eh?

seekerof

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
We are the biggest polluters in this world and as a major power our governments has never done anything to fix the problem but empty promises.

We really are giving their right message to the rest of the world.

Our country careless of the how our earth is being poisoned as long as US base industries can make a profit of it.

Then when other countries complain we are outrage for them complaining, how dare them to tell the mighty US how to do their business. Right?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Hey marg, how you been?
Still the U.S., eh?
I see no mention of China (the second largest polluter), no mention of the others, no mention on those that won't meet the Kyoto emissions requirements, etc., just the continuation of your U.S. "setting the example"....

Are these contries setting "an example", also?

Yep, yep, I hear ya......

seekerof

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
seekerof,

No my fellow ATS member or my fellow American, you "did not hear me" or may I suggest, "read" my post well, perhaps it may be my lack of better english grammar.

I said, "we are the biggest polluter in this world" and "we are giving the right message"

What do you expect seekerof when the major power in this world does nothing to help with pollution.

How do you expect then other countries from helping out with pollution.

Can you denied US influence in the world?

I guess you did not really read my post well after all.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Where does it stop? We already have some of the most strict pollution laws in the world. How much more do you people want? Should we take away more freedom in this country so the liberal minority is pleased on this issue as well?

Quit making it out like the world is going to end. Global warning is a scare tactic, it hasn't been proven yet. Take a deep look into the subject and see for yourself, or believe a bunch of scientists who are trying to make a living off the issue.

I do believe the Earth's average tempurature is higher right now, but does that "have" to be global warming? I mean what makes you so sure that pollution is the reason? It couldn't just be a natural occuring fluxuation or cycle that the Earth is going through...

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Where does it stop? We already have some of the most strict pollution laws in the world.

Really lostsailor where do you got your information from, bush itself.

Quit making it out like the world is going to end. Global warning is a scare tactic, it hasn't been proven yet. Take a deep look into the subject and see for yourself, or believe a bunch of scientists who are trying to make a living off the issue.

I guess you have nothig to give to your children and their future. Right? perhaps you have not children at all, and that is why you don't care.

I do believe the Earth's average tempurature is higher right now, but does that "have" to be global warming? I mean what makes you so sure that pollution is the reason? It couldn't just be a natural occuring fluxuation or cycle that the Earth is going through...

Whao, can you feel the heat? then you are not so uninformed after all, yes lost sailor the earth is getting warmer the seas are dying and everyday we are losing animal species to enviromental changes.

We are destroying this earth and guess what the earth will suvived but do you think we will survive too?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Where does it stop? We already have some of the most strict pollution laws in the world. How much more do you people want? Should we take away more freedom in this country so the liberal minority is pleased on this issue as well?

Global Warming is a scare tactic! Look at the weather across the US right now. Where are the Global Warming freaks now? We can have a colder than normal winter, but if we have a hotter than normal summer, watch out, the Global freaks would be partying!

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Carseller4]

new topics

top topics

join