It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama and race: why Eric Holder's words stirred such anger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Obama and race: why Eric Holder's words stirred such anger

Is racial animosity behind some political criticism of the Obama administration? That’s what Attorney General Eric Holder said on Sunday. The exact phrase he used was “racial animus,” which he said motivates some of his and Obama’s political opponents.

“There’s a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that’s directed at me, directed at the president,” Attorney General Holder told ABC. “You know, people talking about taking their country back.... There’s a certain racial component to this for some people. I don’t think this is the thing that is a main driver, but for some there’s a racial animus.”

Much of the opposition to President Obama’s policies is ideological, Holder added. He said that 50 years after Freedom Summer, when civil rights activists moved into the South to try and register African-Americans to vote, the US has made “lots of progress” on issues of race. But there is still some distance to travel on the issue, said the attorney general.

Nothing like hiding incompetence by throwing down the race card.

I do not Like President Obama.
I do not like Eric Holder.

Do I not like them because they are black / etc? Absolutely not.

I don't care for either because of the manner in which they refuse to accept responsibility for their incompetence. I don't like either because of their arrogance and disdain they show towards the American people. I don't care for either because of their above the law mentality. I don't care for either because they go after people who do not share their ideology. I don't care for either because of their failure to enforce laws. I don't care for either because of their inability to investigate criminal wrong doing on their side of the fence.

Most importantly - I really do not like either of them for constantly trying to use the race card to cover their own stupidity and incompetence.

Based on Obama and Holders statements, they would describe me as a person who does not like them because I am racist.

In reality it is the farthest from the truth and quite frankly its an insult to the black community to have real race issues coopted for political smear.

edit on 16-7-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Does he really think that Obama is the ONLY President ever where citizens disapproved of him and talked trash about him??
He needs to go back in history
Even JFK was talked bad about in his time by opposing groups

Sorry, but skin color has nothing to do with politics nor does it belong there
There is enough tension as is with the 2-party system, without having to throw the race card around

Mainly it's to divert attention from the problems at hand and make white people feel guilty for complaining
It just makes them -- this administration-- look desperate IMO

edit on 16-7-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

The guy's actions and inactions are polarizing. Then he uses words to say it's racial divide ... creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's no forgiving either of them ... as I know they're both smart enough to know _exactly_ what they're doing and what effect it's having.

S&F for holding the moral high ground. Not sure what that's worth at the moment, but it's better than lowering yourself to their level.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I am not blind and realize that racism still exists today for many but it probably always will sadly enough. I am sick of seeing the race card played as a (successful) method to shut the negativity down pretty swiftly. It works like a charm too. PEOPLE are so terrified to be called a racist,

They tend to keep their mouths shut even if race is a non issue. When the race card is pulled, it means to me that the argument has been lost and the pocketed ace is played. It definitely diminishes the severity/weight of the term IMO. It's used so often, it's like the boy who cried wolf. When racism is legit and a legitimate action is taken for it... It will eventually fall flat because of the overuse of it.

There are MANY reasons that this administration is going to hell in a hand basket! but I firmly believe that race does not even register on the list of those reasons. Those who resort to throwing out the race card like beads during Mardi Gras are doing any true issues with it a disservice IMO.

edit on 7/16/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/16/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I will have to admit that nothing gets someones attention quicker than throwing out the old tried and true "code words".
It doesn't matter if it is race or ethniticty, these words have been used for a long time in attempts to paint those who disagree with someone as being bigoted.

On the other hand, it also reminds me of the old "hit dog syndrome".
You see if you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, or others, the only one that knows a rock was thrown is the one that was hit and yelps. None of the others in the pack know anything happened.

Not casting any stones myself, but...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
IF there is evidence to suggest racial hatred is a factor then by all means, if a crime was committed, investigate.

However, Holder will only do that when it works in his favor. As an example in the article, the DOJ won their first court case against the new black panther party for voter intimidation by standing outside the door of a polling station with clubs. Instead of continuing that court battle on appeal, Holder ended the DOJ's involvement, dropping a case they already won - based on race.

In this instance, what Holder, and Obama (who has made similar comments), are doing is creating a diversion to the scandals themselves by throwing down the race card.

To them it will be easier to stir up a BS issue on race than it would be to try and defend their failures to do their job in a competent manner. Al Sharpton is a professional race baiter as well, using the "plight" of the black community to further his own goals. Instead of asking questions as to why Holder or Obama aren't doing there job, they instead attack those asking that question on the grounds of race.

As I stated in another thread on race -
A black person is not a criminal.
A white person is not a criminal.
A Hispanic person is not a criminal.
An Asian person is not a criminal.

A person who breaks the law is a criminal.

A person of a certain color not agreeing with the policies / actions of a person of another color does not a racist make.

To make that argument while invoking the race card to hide incompetence is just as criminal and racially inciting as a Grand Imperial Wizard in the KKK to blame all problems on people of color.

In laymen's terms -
Its always someone else's fault, no matter how wrong the person hiding behind the race card is.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I am sick of seeing the race card played as a (successful) method to shut the negativity down pretty swiftly. It works like a charm too. PEOPLE are so terrified to be called a racist,

Is it successful? Does it shut anyone up? I've never seen people shut up because they're called racist. They come back even stronger. And why are people so terrified of being called racist? These are some questions I have about the issue.

Secondly, if race is not an issue where Obama is concerned, why did everyone say he was born in Africa? Why do they continue to this day to claim that he's not a natural born citizen? That's never happened with any other president. Why did they even question his place of birth BEFORE he was even elected?

I'm not saying that people who disagree with Obama are racist, but I do think there's an underlying racial aspect to how this president was treated even before he was elected.

I don't think race is much of an issue anymore. People hate him so much, race doesn't even enter into it in many cases. I also think the left pumps the race card for all it's worth, and more, and I think it's sickening. But there's an element of racism that has clouded this administration since the beginning. Before the beginning.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I've never seen people shut up because they're called racist. They come back even stronger.

It's natural for people to defend themselves against false accusations and to get pissed off when it's continually insinuated that they are something evil that they clearly are not.

And why are people so terrified of being called racist?

So you'd enjoy being called .. let's say homophobic ...even when you clearly aren't?
You can't see why people HATE being called something that they aren't? Really?

why did everyone say he was born in Africa?

'Everyone' didn't. Many people questioned where he was born. Considering Obama's fuzzy history, and his own historical paperwork (school documents) stating he wasn't an American (and that he was a Muslim), it was a legitimate question.

Why do they continue to this day to claim that he's not a natural born citizen? That's never happened with any other president.

He's not the first POTUS to be questioned about his history. Many on the left still claim Bush43 was AWOL during Vietnam even though he's produced the military papers showing he wasn't. Obama doesn't get a free pass from people not believing him.

Chester A. Arthur had his citizenship severely questioned. Info Here

Chester A. Arthur (1829–1886), 21st president of the United States, was rumored to have been born in Canada.[64][65] This was never demonstrated by his Democratic opponents, although Arthur Hinman, an attorney who had investigated Arthur's family history, raised the objection during his vice-presidential campaign and after the end of his presidency, publishing a book on the subject.[66] Arthur was born in Vermont to a Vermont-born mother and a father from Ireland, who was naturalized as a U.S. citizen in 1843, 14 years after Chester was born. Despite the fact that his parents took up residence in the United States somewhere between 1822 and 1824,[67] Arthur additionally began to claim between 1870 and 1880[68] that he had been born in 1830, rather than in 1829, which only caused minor confusion and was even used in several publications.[69] Arthur was sworn in as president when President Garfield died after being shot.

Others who ran for POTUS and who had their citizenship questioned - Christopher Schürmann (1896), Charles Evans Hughes (1916), Barry Goldwater (1964), George Romney (1968), Lowell Weicker (1960), and John McCain (2008).

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
It's natural for people to defend themselves against false accusations and to get pissed off when it's continually insinuated that they are something evil that they clearly are not.

I know it is. I didn't say anything about defending themselves or getting pissed. I said they don't let it shut them up, they come back stronger. It is not successful.

So you'd enjoy being called .. let's say homophobic

I didn't say anything about enjoying or hating it. I asked why people were TERRIFIED. Did you read my post or are yopu just eager to argue?

Many people questioned where he was born. Considering Obama's fuzzy history, and his own historical paperwork (school documents) stating he wasn't an American (and that he was a Muslim), it was a legitimate question.

All of that only came up AFTER the birth questions. WHY did they even question where he was born??? Why did people start looking into it and find all this supposedly fuzzy stuff? This is where I think race comes in.

Many on the left still claim Bush43 was AWOL during Vietnam even though he's produced the military papers showing he wasn't.

That was after he was president for a time. I'm asking why people started looking into it BEFORE Obama was even elected. Jesus! Read. I was asking Kangaruex4Ewefor their opinion on what they wrote. Nothing wrong with answering, but at least answer the questions I asked.

Others were questioned and dropped. The birthers are alive and kicking yet today.
edit on 7/16/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I saw this coming from a mile away. We have a half black man for a president. Therefore if you don't agree with everything he does you are a racist. Eric Holder should be in jail for selling weapons to Mexican cartels. He has a lot of blood on his hands.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

WHY did they even question where he was born??? Why did people start looking into it and find all this supposedly fuzzy stuff? This is where I think race comes in.

- LIke I showed, others have had their backgrounds and their citizenship questioned. Why should Obama be special and not have his background checked into?
- People started looking into it because he ran for POTUS .. just like everyone else is vetted who runs for POTUS.
- There is nothing 'supposedly' about his fuzzy background. The dude was a 'community organizer' and junior senator, who hadn't been vetted by the American public. His background had his school paperwork listing him as not being American and as being a Muslim while being raised in a foreign country. That's obviously going to raise red flags.
- Not everything has to do with race. In fact most things do not. Clearly the people I posted information on, who came before Obama, weren't black and they were questioned about the same type of things. Not race related.

I'm asking why people started looking into it BEFORE Obama was even elected.

For the same reason those other people I listed had their backgrounds questioned during the election process. The time to question is before someone is elected .. not afterwards.

Jesus! Read.

I did. Did you read what I posted? It fully answered your complaint.

Others were questioned and dropped. The birthers are alive and kicking yet today.

Those people were questioned and dropped because the people in question weren't elected. Unlike them, who faded from the spotlight, Obama got elected. Therefore he is still in the news and still relevant. Those people never got that far. And as far as some 'birthers' being alive and kicking today .... yep .... and there are still some democrats on democraticunderground (the DUmp) who claim Bush43 was AWOL during Vietnam, even though it's been proven he wasn't. Some people hang on to their ideas on 'the enemy' even when proven wrong. It happens to all politicians, no matter their skin color.

Having read your posts for the past 8 years, I"m sure you will still think race has a play in it all. If you wish to think that, go ahead. It's just not there - IMHO. Oh .. and apologies for having somehow frustrated you with my response. 'just want to argue' wasn't my intent. I thought I was being direct. Moving on ....
edit on 7/16/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
One last comment

I asked why people were TERRIFIED.

When people are falsely accused of things they don't always get their names cleared. Accusations tend to stick even when they aren't true. Everyone gets all uptight and screams and points at someone being accused ... 'racist racist!!' and it makes a big splash. But when the truth comes out and the person is shown not to be racist, then the ones doing all the screaming 'racist racist' don't recant their stories and don't issue apologies. And the facts showing the person not to be racist don't get the front headlines like the accusations do.

The person is stuck with that cloud hanging over their head ... a totally undeserved cloud ... all because of false accusations.

It happens with news stories all the time .... big splashy headlines on the front page .... but when the news people have to print a retraction it gets put in small print on page 58 in the 'D' section of the paper. The damage is done. Reputations are ruined. And no one needs the unwarrented extra stress piled in their life.

That should more fully answer your question.
I thought I had before, but apparently not.
So this should.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
For a lot of white people, being called a racist is almost like being called the "N" word for a black person. It's denigrating and insulting to be put in such a category, and rather than be called that name, many white people just stay hushed.

People like Eric Holder and Obama know this, so they pull the race card forcefully and often, especially regarding real issues that need and should be investigated. No telling how many things have had the brakes put on real investigative efforts because of the fear of being called a racist.

I do know this. Obama sat in Rev. Wright's church for 20 years soaking up Black Liberation Theology. The influx of Latin Americans pouring into this country right now includes members of the MS-13 gang. Over the decades this gang has become increasingly politically savvy and more and more violent. And guess what! Their leaders have made no beans about the fact that Liberation Theology is behind their dirty deeds.

new topics

top topics

join