It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'World's First' Recreational Marijuana Advertisement

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IXIXI

Yeah exactly, its just as bad as alcohol except for all the alcohol deaths, alcohol violence, children growing up witnessing and being victims to the violence, all the rape and sex crimes committed by drunks, underage girls getting pregnant while out drunk and partying and dont remember the sex that got them pregnant let alone who got them pregnant or how many guys they had sex with that night, etc etc etc... but yeah other than all that basically harmless stuff, its just like alcohol.

People sitting around getting stoned just because its fun, with no medical necessity? Oh the humanity!! D:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Those studies have nothing to do with carcinogens in marijuana. It just says that cancer is at an increased risk. YOU are putting up a strawman. I asked for evidence that there are 3 - 4x as much carcinogens in marijuana than in cigarettes and you give me studies saying that the risk for cancer is increased. Just because the risk of cancer is different is NOT evidence that there are more carcinogens in marijuana, let alone 3 - 4x as much. It could just be the effect of different substances interacting differently than with cigarettes.
edit on 17-7-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Cannabis smoking may have a greater potential than tobacco smoking to cause lung cancer 1–4. Cannabis smoke is qualitatively similar to tobacco smoke, although it contains up to twice the concentration of the carcinogenic polyaromatic hydrocarbons 1. Cannabis cigarettes are less densely packed than tobacco cigarettes, and tend to be smoked without filters 2 to a smaller butt size 3, leading to higher concentrations of smoke inhaled. Furthermore, smokers of cannabis inhale more deeply and hold their breath for longer 4, facilitating the deposition of the carcinogenic products in the lower respiratory tract. These factors are likely to be responsible for the five-fold greater absorption of carbon monoxide from a cannabis joint, compared with a tobacco cigarette of similar size despite similar carbon monoxide concentrations in the smoke inhaled
Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case–control study

The abstract makes it quite clear what the outcome of this is:

In total, 79 cases of lung cancer and 324 controls were included in the study. The risk of lung cancer increased 8% (95% confidence interval (CI) 2–15) for each joint-yr of cannabis smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking, and 7% (95% CI 5–9) for each pack-yr of cigarette smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cannabis smoking. The highest tertile of cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of lung cancer (relative risk 5.7 (95% CI 1.5–21.6)), after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking.

In conclusion, the results of the present study indicate that long-term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adults.

That's from 2008. Is that fresh enough for you? Here's one from but a few months ago:

The link between cannabis use and psychosis comprises three distinct relationships: acute psychosis associated with cannabis intoxication; acute psychosis that lasts beyond the period of acute intoxication; and persistent psychosis not time-locked to exposure. Experimental studies reveal that cannabis, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and synthetic cannabinoids reliably produce transient positive, negative, and cognitive symptoms in healthy volunteers. Case studies indicate that cannabinoids can induce acute psychosis that lasts beyond the period of acute intoxication but resolves within a month. Exposure to cannabis in adolescence is associated with a risk for later psychotic disorder in adulthood; this association is consistent, temporally related, shows a dose response, and is biologically plausible. However, cannabis is neither necessary nor sufficient to cause a persistent psychotic disorder. More likely, it is a component cause that interacts with other factors to result in psychosis. The link between cannabis and psychosis is moderated by age at onset of cannabis use, childhood abuse, and genetic vulnerability. While more research is needed to better characterize the relationship between cannabinoid use and the onset and persistence of psychosis, clinicians should be mindful of the potential risk of psychosis, especially in vulnerable populations, including adolescents and those with a psychosis diathesis
Link

Don't throw up a strawman. I never said marijuana outright caused psychosis, I said it became an eventual result and reason why some people I know had to quit. It's a factor in the genesis of some psychotic events that unfold in susceptible individuals. There is no way that I'm aware of, for knowing with certainty that this would or would not be an eventual outcome without marijuana. What I observe, and the data clearly shows, is that disproportionately, regular cannabis consumers end up going a bit psychotic.

Well I have a been a happy intaker of green now for well over thirty years, really chilled and relaxed, but never psychotic............

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

It's no better than alcohol except for the fact that you don't have marijuana related overdose deaths and stoned drivers killing people every night after 2am when the clubs close and the drunks pile in their cars.

Your liver wont rot as quick as well as what you post, but yeah its no better, no one dies, no one overdoses, bodily damage from excessive use is no where near as bad but its no better than alcohol.

and once more

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Especially considering that marijuana has actually been shown to be GOOD for you?

In moderation like any other substance used by us humans and the effects can be beneficial.

In excessive use of anything be it food or drugs or conspiracies is a harmful.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

If every American would start to smoke pot and making it "the norm" in our already frayed society it will hurt the younger kids who are in school watching their older brothers/sisters/relatives/peers getting stoned and saying hey its OK it's legal now, come alter your state of mind! Smoking pot changes your behavior, I don't want a mass of lazy unmotivated stoners who would rather roll up some joints than crack open their books and study to get good grades and have a shot at a good college education.

Well it wont be forced on people,

The rate of Pot smokers wont increase or decrease in any high numbers, yes some that were to afraid simply because it was illegal will try it but there wont be some epidemic of stoners as it seems that you worry of such.

It doesn't need to be outright legal in my opinion

Can you agree that at least should be De-criminalized?

Many in prison for dime bag in their pocket, yes it might have a 3rd strike but still its quite ridiculous in my opinion to be jailed because of possession and personal use, its a human rights violation actually.
edit on 17-7-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Also psychosis? That's also not true. Most people who fly off the handle when taking drugs (especially marijuana) would be predisposed to do it anyways even if they weren't high.

Yes excessive use can create a chemical imbalance in the brain.

But this is excessive use more so than what studies undertaken about the effects of cannabis call excessive use.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join