It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church allows Bishops to be Female Now in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Well I am thinking this leaves other religions in the dark ages now. As the majority of religions do not allow spiritual leaders to be female . Now women have equality what will other religions make of this and is it a step into a right direction?
www.theguardian.com...

"The Church of England has finally agreed that women may become bishops next year, breaking with nearly 2,000 years of tradition and ending 20 years of bitter compromises since women were allowed to become priests in 1994."

Any thoughts on this

Church allows Bishops to be Female Now

edit on 14-7-2014 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Thats true but it only applies to the UK not the rest of the Christian world where there are far more followers.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Evolve or die a very simple rule for everything including religion.
I mean where are the Odin followers (If some very few).
Hate religion but If it was for equality I would be more favourable towards the good it can do.
Next step gay Bishops.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FreedomEntered

actually - the CoE allows females to be bishops

it might allow bishops to be female too - but that's another issue

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Evolve or die a very simple rule for everything including religion.
I mean where are the Odin followers (If some very few).
Hate religion but If it was for equality I would be more favourable towards the good it can do.
Next step gay Bishops.

but most do not evolve all that much over time. Wonder why its only the church of England that have accepted this and not other countries. I expect this will be heavily condemned by other denominations within Christianity then.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FreedomEntered

I expect this will be heavily condemned by other denominations within Christianity then.

Not likely -- apart from the Catholic and Orthodox churches, most other denominations have female clergy and superiors. When I was a United Methodist, our District Superintendent was a woman.

I don't know what the Church of England's state in the UK is, but the American branch, the Episcopalians, have been torn apart by the liberalization (read "modernization") of the church in the past twenty years, and will likely be mostly gone as a denomination in the next twenty, while denominations that tend towards the traditional, like Pentecostals and Catholics, are growing or at least holding their own.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

A little late on the Gay Bishop thing. Church of England (and the Episcopals in the US) has been getting weirder and weirder. They're provoking a world wide split, and membership is falling drastically. Many think that Gay and women Bishops is are helping to destroy that denomination. Of course, that's just fine with many.

Oh, the first gay Bishop of the Episcopals? Vicky Gene Robinson. No wonder he writes that his sexuality was confused. He was "Bishoped" in 2003. And the current head of the Episcopals is a female Bishop.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

And the current head of the Episcopals is a female Bishop.

Not to mention that she's a heretic.

The Heresies of Episcopal Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori

Nothing to do with her being a woman, of course. She's just teaching liberalized (read: "modernized") nonsense.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
Thats true but it only applies to the UK not the rest of the Christian world where there are far more followers.

No it only applies to the Church of England.

new topics

top topics

join