It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build me a 'Solar Clothes' dryer.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Last Friday I get this call from a lady...asking--- How much would it cost to build her a 'Solar Clothes' dryer?
Now this lady and her husband are big city transplants a youngish couple and from the accent I'm guessing Chicago maybe?

anyway while driving around town...
she and her husband saw the most remarkable thing... A solar clothes dryer!

Well they never saw anything like that back home... Didn't know such a remarkable invention had been created!
On the phone with me she sure sounded excited about having one of these...and she's so excited I had a bit of trouble figuring out just what she wanted...

"There's this thing connected to another thing and it sort of looks like a ... you know... a thing!"

To be honest there really are a number of 'Solar' clothes some look a lot like a regular clothes dryer only the use the sun for heat rather than gas or electric.

Needless to say I had no idea just what the lady wanted... and she lacked the langue skills to convey what it was...
So I asked her to go take a picture of it for me ... you know... so I have someplace to start...

guess what she sends me?

City folks... go fig...

edit on 14-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
She was amazed by a washing line?

Oooookay

EDIT: Although im now going to give this actual thought which might be a mistake and make me look like a nerd, however: "Solar clothes driers" DO in fact fade colors over time.

edit on b35351151 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
LOL as soon as I saw the thread title, I thought, isn't that just a clothes line?

I cannot believe there are people that don't know this.

link   
Solar heated, wind powered.
Very eco-friendly, must be very expensive.

link   
Haha

Even though most here where I live have electric or gas clothes dryers, many still use "solar dryers" too. You just can't get that kind of freshness from an electric dryer.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Well it is a lot prettier than the one I have in my back yard...

If I were a government contractor that would easily be a two point five million dollar job at least!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yeah, that was kind of my tip off that these were city folk....

Granted their a young couple too
and now that I think about modern life... I can see where a lot of people could grow up never seeing an old fashioned clothes line...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Number 9 galvanized wire is the proper size.

And don't forget a couple of clothesline props to temporarily place under a sagging line once it is loaded with heavy, wet clothes. Oh, and there is the clothespin bag that suspends/slides along the wire. Such a system fosters a need to keep an eye on the weather, of course.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I don't know how much money they have for this yet?

If their loaded then were talking about a revolving base that tracks the sun keeping the clothes at the optimum angle of...

If on the other hand their broke like all the rest of us... I'll hook them up with some 2x4's and old speaker wire...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I can't believe I clicked on this thinking, neat a solar dryer, I might look into that!

Lol, I grew up in Amish country Illinios, duh. Just don't do laundry on a rainy, snowy, or humid day. Which, in IL, is 60% of the time.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Well it is a lot prettier than the one I have in my back yard...

Its a wire/cable/string/rope/whatever strung up to hang stuff on, its not exactly rocket science or meant to be pretty.

Big whoopty whoop

I dont really like how red brick houses look, but im not about to paint each one in pretty colors and smiley faces

edit on b44441142 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Just remind them, if it is NOT a windy day, don't hang out jeans.
Nothing worse than scratchy, stiff jeans that stand up by themselves, when clean!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

On those cold days... the wife and I will hang our clothes in our little green house...

it up's the humidly for the plants... and they will dry, even on snowy days... just takes longer...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

My philosophy is... as Long as the check clears ...I'll build you any damn thing you want!

Regardless of how stupid it looks...

mine is not to reason why...only to pay my bills at the end of the month.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yup saw that coming from a mile away and yet I still clicked the link.

It just surprises me the things some people have never seen and find magical that I find common.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Dunno bout this, "solar clothes dryers" can be found in every big city I can think of.
This lady and her brood must have been sequestered.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Just remind them, if it is NOT a windy day, don't hang out jeans.
Nothing worse than scratchy, stiff jeans that stand up by themselves, when clean!

You can still line-dry jeans on a calm day, then tumble them in the dryer on the no heat setting.
That's what I do anyway.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

That's awesome, hah!

Reminds me of when I read this rant from a guy about his girlfriend lamenting on how there's not a place like Blockbuster Video but for books. He was all like "IT'S CALLED A LIBRARY AND IT'S FREE!!!"

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When I read the title, I thought to myself 'it can't be that a clothes line surely?' ... long story short ... i over-thought it and wondered who had solar clothes, saw the pic and realised, we all have solar clothes

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I had a girlfriend in high school that was from chicago. I worked part time on a dairy farm and gave her a tour one day. She could not believe how big cows were. She had only been close to calves in the petting zoo. So this solar dryer thing is not a huge surprise to me, but still damn funny..haha

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join