It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comic Character 'Archie' To Die Saving Gay Friend from Gun Violence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I wonder where the outrage was here when Archie's gay friend, Kevin, married and kissed his boyfriend in the comic books last August... Did anyone know about that?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
A politically charged statement via comics. We never see that happening, do we?

/end sarcasm

On a side note, does this mean the comics are drawing to a close? Kinda pointless to continue a series without the protagonist. Particularly when the series is NAMED after the protagonist.
edit on 14-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw
Well some 42% of the nation is democrat and only some 31% are republican.

When you look at a graphic for the nation that shows red for republicans and blue for democrats what you see is republicans are fewer.

The nation is more liberal than conservative.
edit on 14-7-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
he looks like Lafayette from True Blood.

Ha! I don't know who that is, either. I'm going to have to research.

OK, I don't see the problem with Freedia. It's a man who shakes his bootie and yells "music". That's what I'd tell my kid. It is what it is.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
why complain about something humans will one day share, and then look back at this generation with regrets as we did in our teen years.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I wonder where the outrage was here when Archie's gay friend, Kevin, married and kissed his boyfriend in the comic books last August... Did anyone know about that?

No I didn't and quite frankly I could have cared less.

What bothers me is that this ending is all over the news, as news , which it is not , the great fuss over the ending is manufactured for 2 reasons.
1. to get attention so the sales will be good

2. might as well create controversy by writing using the most blatant propaganda and polarizing issues out there today.

3. sure to generate tons of profit (oops nasty capitalism creeping in here)

4. while spreading the "message of the day" as approved by the government

I'm certain a movie will come out of this one, then the author and publisher will really rake it in,
I think Michael Moore will be the one to take on the project, right up his alley.

OMG, just realized, it is capitalism at its finest ; spreading the progressive message, what an irony.
edit on 14-7-2014 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
does this mean the comics are drawing to a close?

Archie isn't as popular as it was, so we are guessing it's not making money anymore and they are going to kill him off and make a political statement at the same time.

OTHER comics are doing a booming business. Especially Marvel. The movies based on the comics are huge. Take a look at ComicCon numbers sometime ... really ... it's a big money maker. We went last year and the level of interest is intense. (it was fun ... we saw folks like William Shatner and Kevin Sorbo and everyone from Charmed and James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) and .... etc etc .... )

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Guess I'm shocked that kids even GAF about Archie.

Go fig.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Ha! I don't know who that is, either. I'm going to have to research.

Meh. The current (and last) season of True Blood is not worth your time.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
I knew about the Green Lantern turning gay in the new comics. They tossed out the history of the character. He used to be straight and married. Now he's suddenly gay. That happened two years ago.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

When you look at a graphic for the nation that shows red for republicans and blue for democrats what you see is republicans are fewer.

And your point is????????

So it is ok to paint all conservatives as homophobic and gun-toting murderers? Just because they are a minority in the population?

So it's ok for the liberals to shamelessly use this propaganda for capitalistic reasons, just to line the pockets of the corporation that publishes the comic, as long the propaganda is in there then it is fine and bound to be a good story line and not a sappy propaganda piece?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: jonnywhite

And your point is????????

So it is ok to paint all conservatives as homophobic and gun-toting murderers? Just because they are a minority in the population?

So it's ok for the liberals to shamelessly use this propaganda for capitalistic reasons, just to line the pockets of the corporation that publishes the comic, as long the propaganda is in there then it is fine and bound to be a good story line and not a sappy propaganda piece?

I didn't know the gunman in the comics was going to be portrayed as a conservative...?

link   

The True Blood books are MUCH better. But even better than True Blood are the Kim Harrison 'Dead Witch Walking' books. Excellent series. Best out there. I'd love to see that a series.

link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
I knew about the Green Lantern turning gay in the new comics. They tossed out the history of the character. He used to be straight and married. Now he's suddenly gay. That happened two years ago.

Greenie probably had an experience similar to this clip and the curiosity was killing him

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight
Maybe because the propaganda is so obvious.

Archie comics have christian roots: check
Gay friend: check
Gay friend is a military veteran: check
Gay friend is campaigning against gun violence: check
Archie is killed in attempt to save gay friend: check

And what else?

Like others have said, propoganda is everywhere.

I myself don't really care a huge amount about this, but I know others do. I also know there's propoganda that bothers me too. I can relate.
edit on 14-7-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

link   

does this mean the comics are drawing to a close?

Archie isn't as popular as it was, so we are guessing it's not making money anymore and they are going to kill him off and make a political statement at the same time.

OTHER comics are doing a booming business. Especially Marvel. The movies based on the comics are huge. Take a look at ComicCon numbers sometime ... really ... it's a big money maker. We went last year and the level of interest is intense. (it was fun ... we saw folks like William Shatner and Kevin Sorbo and everyone from Charmed and James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) and .... etc etc .... )

Makes me wonder why they don't do an Archie movie and try to revitalize the series.

link   

I didn't know the gunman in the comics was going to be portrayed as a conservative...?

It comes out on Wednesday. Considering the set up .... Archie dies saving the left wing Gay senator who is fighting 2nd amendment rights because his partner was killed .... I'd say it's a high probability. Then again, it could be a gay lover who the senator rebuffed .... but that wouldn't fit in with the tolerance and diversity thing that the comic folks admitted that they were trying to teach.

We'll find out Wednesday.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The True Blood books are MUCH better. But even better than True Blood are the Kim Harrison 'Dead Witch Walking' books. Excellent series. Best out there. I'd love to see that a series.

Never seen an episode of the show, but I happened to pick up the first book in the series. I try to read it before I watch it, and even then, I don't always watch it.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
What bothers me is that this ending is all over the news, as news , which it is not

When is the last time you saw actual news on the Entertainews channels?

, the great fuss over the ending is manufactured for 2 reasons.
1. to get attention so the sales will be good
2. might as well create controversy by writing using the most blatant propaganda and polarizing issues out there today.
3. sure to generate tons of profit (oops nasty capitalism creeping in here)
4. while spreading the "message of the day"

The first three speak to capitalism (which I have NO problem with, by the way). Controversy gets attention and they want attention to generate profit. Who DOESN'T do that?

OMG, just realized, it is capitalism at its finest ; spreading the progressive message, what an irony.

Isn't it beautiful? The right and left coming together at last! LOL (Very good observation!)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Makes me wonder why they don't do an Archie movie and try to revitalize the series.

Archie is so .... well .... 1940s. The little gang of friends are all very 1940s/1950s Americana. I think it's an outdated comic and doesn't resonate with todays youth. But I suppose you never know.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join