It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over Half a Million Rally in Hong Kong Against Chinese Rule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I always wondered how long this would take. It appears slightly tardy by my reckoning, however, China has played slow and nice... I sincerely doubt China will give up control and continue nice play... The question is how far will the movement go or is this a prelude to another Tiananmen Square affair at some point in their future ?

A 10 day unofficial referendum organized by activists ended Sunday. With more than 780,000 voting — over a fifth of Hong Kong voters — the referendum’s success surprised even the organizers and galvanized their cause.

China’s communist leaders have said in the past that it will ‘allow’ Hong Kong’s residents to vote for the chief executive beginning in 2017, but in a “white paper” issued last month, Chinese leaders made clear that Beijing would retain control and allow only “Chinese patriots” to be nominated for the election.

Humm only allow those selected by the party to be voted for....... Why would anyone expect something different ?

revolution-news.com...

Initial reports stated that 196 people had been arrested overnight up till 6:30am. After 10am on Wednesday police announced that 511 people had been arrested on Chater Road. They were accused of illegal assembly and obstructing police officers in the due execution of duty.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Humm only allow those selected by the party to be voted for....... Why would anyone expect something different ?

Sounds like Chinese and US politics aren't very different. You get the illusion of choice between party approved candidates.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
yeah, a lot of people were out.

my wife wanted to go. i said, ya right.
they want to do an occupy hong kong too. i think it's a bad idea.

anyone see the new transformers movie?
there is a scene in it that china said had to be in it, if they wanted to release the movie in china.

it was the line; "we better call the central government for help" then china sent jets. no big spoiler here.

anyway, hong kongers are not happy with the way things seem to be going.
the PLA is here but very low profile, so far.

but it's no surprise that mainland gov is exerting more and more control.

the south china morning post is usually very good about covering the politics.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think this is going to be trouble. Mainland China, in my opinion, will not give in to Hong Kong in any way, shape or form , as that would not play well in their minds, as far as the global stage is concerned...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Demonstrations / protests against the Chinese government have been occurring on a frequent basis, and have included large numbers of people. Chinese state media does not report on it for obvious reasons. They are hitting the point now where the Chinese government can no longer hide the protests.

As for Hong Kong the Chinese government apparently has been violating the 2 system 1 rule agreement when Honk Kong was returned to China.

they have been stacking people in the Chinese government favor ever since to control what's going on in Hong Kong. Its one of the reasons citizens are upset.

If China wants a vast galactic empire then they are going to need to find a better way to do it because what they have going on now is not going to work. Right now the only thing thing I see holding China's fractured psyche together is crazy glue.

China sending troops into Hong Kong would expose the difficulties the central government is having. Introducing free market aspects into their economy has resulted in everyday Chinese people being able to travel more, purchase those things that were once out of reach, etc. They have tasted freedom and I don't think China can stop it.

top topics

join