It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle of the Boyne marches?! Passionate/angry after 300+ years? Grow up and get over it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Is it religion or political government of land you are crying about?
There is a tourist monument thing going on not far from where I live, at Brixham S.Devon England, where William of Orange landed in 1688 to start his fight against the then Catholic King James. No-one really gives a # about it here, but I see the Orange Order are having their drummer-led marches again in Northern Ireland and all the media are (as usual) expecting clashes after the (so far) 3 stabbings today.

If it really is all about arguments of Protestants or Catholics these days then all the people involved are no more evolved than the Sunni/Shia bull#. How can anyone involved claim any different? I'd love to be enlightened.

The most tragic bit for me is that William of Orange was a Dutchman and not even from these islands, yet many people fight over nationalistic disputes in his name over UK/ROI land.

...almost as pathetic as me (a Welshman) bleating about Llywelyn ap Gruffudd being killed by the English in 1282, lame, and tragic.
First world problems.
Get over it.

edit on 12-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It is tribalism but the traditions for these people are very much part of there heritage and asking them to give them up is like asking them to go and piss on there ancestor's graves to it is never going to happen.
The old tit for tat attitude is still very much alive and had there not been secret and very large government pay off's and bribes to the leaders of the IRA and UDF they would still be fighting today as they where in the 1980's.
It is the element whom try to take it through the heart of the opposing community (Tribe) area's that cause the problems but it does serve as a pressure valve or simmering traditional hatreds would grow until the blew like an overstocked pressure cooker.
There will alway's be war mongers on both sides of the sectarian divide though.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
How far do we go back to cry about the past though?
I'm puzzled about the bitching when I see the landing point of Williams assault, and seeing the continuing celebration in N.Ireland I realise that the war never really ended.
I think both Protestants and Catholics need to get over it.

*Edit*
I cannot see any difference between Protestant/Catholic hatred and Sunni/Shia hatred, but if you can, please do explain it to me.

edit on 12-7-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Most of us celebrate seasonalstivities which have came from religious events, ceremonies and rituals.

What about the...
4th of July
Guy fawkes
Easter
Trafalgar day

I'm sure we'll have commemorative days for WW1/2 long after people can even remember those who had memories of the last veterans (our generationin fact).

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DodgyDawg
You didn't say if you think that is a good thing or not?
...or have you no opinion for whatever reason?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You have a good point and I suppose it is much the same but I also think the religious flag is abused for tribal hatred in northern ireland, most protestants can trace there origin back to scotland where the catholics are more indiginous.
(though ethnically they are essentially the same people as the scots originated in Ireland before invading Caledonia which was afterward renamed Scotland and all Irish were once called Scots)
The truth is that the Irish love a good arguement but when both sides love the argument thing's get out of hand and the Irish are also slow to forgive if they ever do and bitter resentment sits in there breast to be past down to there children generation by generation but today at least in this more connected world with more and more foreigners settling in Ireland they are starting to realize that they are fighting themselves at the cost of there own country, of course the Protestant Royalists want to remain part of the UK but the catholic unionists want to transferre power to the irish republic and in they age of the EU no one really know's what the hell they are arguing about.
I am partially descended on one side of my family from both sides by the way but thankfully grew up in England where they are slightly saner (though only slightly).

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
I am partially descended on one side of my family from both sides by the way but thankfully grew up in England where they are slightly saner (though only slightly).

Compared to Scotland and N.Ireland for sure.
I grew up in South Wales and was never exposed to any Protestant/Catholic sectarianism, even as a child I thought how pathetic it was. We would sometimes fight with the local Catholic school of course, but it was just because it was a rival school, the religious thing never came into it.
Consider football in Scotland with the childish and violent Celtic/Rangers thing, get over it I say.
Take the city of Liverpool in England with it's massive Irish population and yet much more mature local derbys between Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Yes, the Orange Order with their ridiculous marches celebrating something 300+ years ago need to catch up with the modern world, and likewise the Catholics should do the same.
We're all quick to condemn the Sunni/Shia pathetic dispute but when looking closer to home I see the UK/ROI Christians are just as backward in many ways.

new topics

top topics

join