It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Initiative Would Make Pot a Legal, Exportable Cash Crop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Marijuana advocates say the Bible Belt state could reap an economic boom

Marijuana reform advocates hope Oklahoma will live up to its nickname – the Sooner State – by becoming the first U.S. jurisdiction to both legalize cannabis for personal use and allow it to be exported as a cash crop.

In the best-case scenario for pro-pot campaigners, there will be two initiatives on the November ballot: One that would allow medical marijuana and another more far-reaching initiative that would comprehensively dismantle status quo pot policies.

The medical marijuana initiative is further along. On May 18 supporters will begin collecting the required 155,216 signatures for ballot access – if opponents do not file a challenge with the state’s supreme court.

The outright legalization initiative is currently being finalized and its backers – led by state Sen. Connie Johnson, a Democrat – hope to file it with the Oklahoma Secretary of State’s office as early as Friday

For full story look Here

Oklahoma could be the first commercial producer for all the legal marijuana states!!! How cool would that be? Also maybe with the new tax revenue and new jobs made maybe we can fix our terrible roads and better equip our schools.

I'm all for it and support any change in the laws around Marijuana. Oklahoma currently has the most brutal anti marijuana laws in the country and are basically a police state when it comes to the issue. I seriously doubt it will happen but you never know stranger things have happened please support Oklahoma in changing there draconian laws any way you can.

It feels good to see so much change happening with marijuana laws around the country its a small victory for the people in an other wise screwed up system imo. keep the faith

edit on 12-7-2014 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is the kind of step forward needed in all states in re-taking our access to resources and our freedom in general. You're doing fine Oklahoma, GO!

edit on 12-7-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Oklahoma would be taking some bold steps ahead of the others already enacting recreational use laws. The people of the state recognize the fallacy of their current laws. The people would be able to grow pot at home and share it with friends, not for profit but FREE!

www.usnews.com...

“There is quiet, silent support, not only because our laws are ridiculous but because people either have used it or know someone who has, and all of the doomsday expectations just are not true,” says Johnson.

If the initiative makes the ballot and wins approval by voters it would legalize possession of 1 ounce of marijuana for personal use by adults 21 and older – or 1.5 ounces for doctor-approved medical use. It would allow residents to grow six plants at home.

Localities would be able to regulate the location of recreational marijuana stores, but unlike Colorado’s legalization law they would not be allowed to block stores altogether. Unlike Washington state’s legalization law, residents will be able to give – but not sell – pot to friends.

I think maybe 2012 really was the year the veil began to lift and a new paradigm of liberty begins, and now it is coming to some of the strictest and most regressive states. This action would virtually turn the clock and calendar back to a time when the US was a free country. Wouldn't that be nice? Just the news that it is under serious consideration gives me hope for a bright future. It certainly has my support.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuarothan
It would be so nice I pray it happens and will continue to spread the word to any that will listen and support freedom for our people thank you for ur kind words and support it means alot to me. I will star any contribitor to this post that agrees and posts there support in this thread.

edit on 12-7-2014 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro

“There is quiet, silent support, not only because our laws are ridiculous but because people either have used it or know someone who has, and all of the doomsday expectations just are not true,” says Johnson.

I'm wondering if all is right in the universe. A politician speaks and makes ACTUAL sense? Been quite a long while since I've seen that happen.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: pez1975

I'm surprised Kentucky hasn't legalized the growing and exportation of marijuana. From a report I saw recently (unfortunately I can't remember where) farmers have started growing it to supplement their income. Makes sense for a state to legalize it in order to cash in on the revenue.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

As a resident of the state, I'm not holding my breath, at least until we can get Mary Fallin out of the Governor's office. She signed a new law for the Koch brothers placing a surcharge tax on the purchase and use of solar panels. Do some research on her previous actions, horrible "person."

There was an initiative last year just aiming for medical use that got SLAMMED down by our state government.

However, there is a swelling of support amongst the people. Lots of folks taking it to the streets for petitions, in fact it just made the front page of the local paper in my very small, conservative, more-churches-than-schools town. I'd say the most harsh laws are in Texas, by a very slim margin, yet.. I have a friend who was charged as a felon upon a second charge of possession, each time less than a quarter of an ounce...

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

I hope all of the states get struck with the same dose of sensible-i-tus and legalise this valuable crop for personal and medical usage, and export too.

Earn and aid is infinitely superior to spend and incarcerate.

The money made in tax revenues, job creation and equipment sales is literally the tip of the iceberg.

The money saved in policing costs, court and lawyer costs, prison and probation costs, loss of earnings (and taxes paid by) of those thrown into prison for possessing or growing a little pot for personal use will be gone, paying benefits to the families of pot prisoners will be gone...a sensible, rational approach to adults using pot will be a mega earner and not just in taxes raised.

It's way past the time the world should have grown up and looked at this issue with sensible eyes, hopefully that time is now.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
He going to end up like kennedy it will upset the c.i.a him cutting into their business ..

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
While I think this is a progressive idea, the logistics of exporting pot would be a nightmare.
If this is illegal in a neighboring state, the transportation across the State line would be illegal. Which country s could you export to?Any country with legal pot would likely be a net exporter already.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Another good step forward for MJ laws.

Just wondering how they'd get it to Washington. They couldn't truck it there, wouldn't that be trafficking? (If they are caught with it in a zero tolerance state)

edit on 12-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
There are shortages of MJ in other areas,of course they want to export the product,it is legal,not really a big deal anymore.

This is simply another Global suppression action being uncovered and corrected.

Everyone should simply support it and then prepare themselves for the next major societal change because more are on the way and big ones at that.

We all should know by now that gangs and organised crime use drugs to fund themselves.We also know MJ is SOCIETALLY ACCEPTED ,so the only path is legalisation,and the primary driver of this in terms of societal concerns is DISENFRANCHISING THE DRUG CRIMINAL GANGS WHICH ARE GLOBALLY ORGANISED TODAY.

Organised crime has been hitting HUMANITY in the pocketbook , now Humanity is hitting back and HARD.

Now we will be building Hospitals and Schools and repairing roads and infrastructure with BILLIONS of tax dollars every year.

Instead of drug Lords building mansions and business empires using the proceeds of crime,we are now seeing communitys building the things they need.

There is no moral basis upon which to question or in any way impede this progress,none at all.

Times change and America has needed positive changes for a very very long time.

Legalising MJ,has resulted in the disenfranchisment of Criminals Fiscally AND has led to societal progress on every level.

The TRUTHS of MJ are now being revealed and the organised and untruthfull demonisation and suppression of these truths will no longer fly,people will no longer remain voluntarily un-informed of these truths.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well I think the states are looking at how it's going in the two test bed states before passage of legalization. Most don't want to jump in too quickly and find out it was a mistake.

To me, it just makes sense in a monetary and job creation sense.

a reply to: Mystery

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I hope that Oklahoma passes this, I live right on the border, Im an Advocate for marijuana. I find it crazy that a plant with so much potential in helping people with cancer, eating and sleeping problems, seizures, depression, etc... Personally I think marijuana is one of the most beautiful flowering plants, with so much untested advantages in the medical feild. I think the pharmaceutical industry has a vested interest in keeping it Illegal, so they can keep pushing toxic pills. To me thats one of reasons it is still illegal. Its about time states start to wake up, this is a major cash crop. Im suprised Oklahoma hasnt passed this law yet, becaus you know that Indians love their marijuana. LOL

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Legalization, I think, may be a red herring.

It might have been legalized decades ago. Made sense then and has made sense all along. But it wasn't even with progressives pushing for it for decades and conservative smoking it for longer.

I'm not so sure that legalization wasn't held up this long so that when the legalization finally comes about it will be hailed as a victory for the people and we all will think that things are getting better, which they aren't. We can all sit around happy while other more important rights are taken from us.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Legalization, I think, may be a red herring.

...when the legalization finally comes about it will be hailed as a victory for the people and we all will think that things are getting better, which they aren't. We can all sit around happy while other more important rights are taken from us.

Like the right to get shaken down, locked up, lose your livlihood, to have your door busted in, your dog shot, your family terrorized, and your children taken away for having a few house plants. You could lose your right to be protected from having potential cancer cures, better building materials, superior textile products, and using a much safer and less toxic recreational substance than alcohol. Yeah, let's play it safe and just keep things the way they are.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I wish OK the best with this and hope they make progress.

What gets me is pot is classed on the federal level as a narcotic - yet it does not meet even the federal definition of a narcotic. This is what We The People should be fighting to change and when done, it will help open the doors for all other states to change their pot laws.

I recently got into trouble with alcohol and did something stupid. We all know alcohol kills by impairing judgment. We The People want a safer recreational alternative drug that does not cause the problems alcohol causes. We see it on TV every day, people go home from work and pour themselves a drink as if this use is supposed to be normal in our society but for most it backfires at some point in their lives and causes heartaches. Use of pot is not ever been shown to cause this type of trouble. We The People have a right to use a recreational drug that is not prescribed/controlled by a corrupt pharmacudical industry or government. Many of us would welcome seeing all alcohol made illegal and use pot in it's stead - but this is all about Money and alcohol is big business for the producers, retailers as well as for the health care professionals and law enforcement that do make money off of peoples misfortune. It's sad and assbackwards.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro

Oh Eron. I think you got me wrong. I encourage legalization, and you list many reasons why,and let's not forget a much more mellow populace. I was just offering my own speculation on why it has taken soooooo long to even get this far.

And if the mods will allow me a little side drift here, any time you want to talk Phillip K Dick. A man after my own heart. What was that Valis character based on himself? Hoss Fat Lover or something? No maybe not. Hoss Fat was an old Count Basie tune. " Blues in Hoss Flat." Can you tell I'm drifting here? I wonder what the mods would do about a single post that drifts to much.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Everyone pokes smot here, so this has a chance.

Though, I'm sure a lot of negative propaganda will be bought to convince people not to do this.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Good for that and that will help with the decriminalization. Washington state needs some help right now due to being short on retail product. One source says due to failed regulation hurdles and limited harvests -more here, maybe due to tighter growing laws? If that remains an issue surely they'd order a lot from out of state if allowed. As already mentioned wonder how they can import it out of state to another legal state, plane?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join