It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Super Moon is upon us. Lock your doors and stay away from the Pub.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Well, the title more or less sums it up. And as I will show the moon does have an impact on us. The full moon at the moment is the first of 3 "Super Moons". Essentially this means the moon is at perigee, the closest it gets to Earth.

Linkifaction is Here

It's certainly a powerful thing and by that I mean having more than just the capacity to generate the tides.

Sifting through the available information that's hanging around on the interweb, it's clear to see that there are numerous sites and reports decrying the proposition that the moon has the capacity to affect humanity. Ironically I found this information tucked away on a skeptics site.

Firstly the source article;

Linkifaction Here at Skepdic.com. The Skeptics Dictionary

Scrolling down on this page reveals this little gem;

researchers Hans-Joachim Mittmeyer of the University of Tübingen and Norbert Filipp from the Health Institute of Reutlingen claim that "a study of police reports for 50 new and full Moon cycles" shows that the moon is "responsible for binge drinking."

According to Hall, Mittmeyer and Filipp claim in their paper "Alcohol Consumption and the Moon's Influence" to have studied police arrest reports and blood-alcohol tests of 16,495 people and Mittmeyer said "The results show there is a definite correlation between new and full Moons and the amount of alcohol consumed."

Noted and all but hidden on the same page is a link to this information;

Human agression and the Lunar Sydonic Cycle

From the above abstract;

The existence of a biological rhythm of human aggression which resonates with the lunar synodic cycle is postulated

So then it's clear that there is a deep and fundamental relationship between humans and the phases of the moon.

Considering this reality it does beg the questions, 3 Super Moons in a row ???. I suspect that locking your doors and staying out of the Pub may not be enough.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Well, super moon or not, it is Saturday today, and so there will be a greater number of people in the bars and clubs tonight, than there were yesternight. The day of the week has more to do with increased alcohol consumption than the phase of the moon does, by an awfully long way.

If the researchers discounted any numbers attained during a weekend super moon, any possible effect that would have been shown in the data, would be far more valid than if the data was taken from weekend days which fell on super moon days. If the super moon falls on a weekend, or a bank holiday, then of course there will be more drinking done on those days, but one cannot say with certainty that this fact has anything to do with the moon!
edit on 12-7-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removal.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
This is the last thing we need with all the crap going on in the world at the moment.

We are already run by lunar-tics. Isnt this where that word (lunatic) came from?

That bloody moon (shaking fist).

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I'm locking myself inside the pub. At least I'll know which crazies I'm dealing with.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Now, just think about a super duper moon?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Considering the 7 minutes between the OP and your post I'm guessing you didn't actually read all of the thread and supporting links;

Data on five aggressive and/or violent human behaviors were examined by computer to determine whether a relationship exists between the lunar syndoic cycle and human aggression. Homicides, suicides, fatal traffic accidents, aggravated assaults and psychiatric emergency room visits occurring in Dade County, Florida all show lunar periodicities. Homicides and aggravated assaults demonstrate statistically significant clustering of cases around full moon. Psychiatric emergency room visits cluster around first quarter and shows a significantly decreased frequency around new and full moon. The suicide curve shows correlations with both aggravated assaults and fatal traffic accidents, suggesting a self-destructive component for each of these behaviors. The existence of a biological rhythm of human aggression which resonates with the lunar synodic cycle is postulated.

I'll leave you to ponder that. Whenever you can put that beer down

ETA: I'd also like to note that the entire essence of this thread was completely lost on you. Perhaps, ironically, you've demonstrated the point I was making in the first place.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 12-7-2014 by myselfaswell because: the usual crap that seems to pop up more and more regularly here

edit on 12-7-2014 by myselfaswell because: none of your beesknees

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, super moon or not, it is Saturday today, and so there will be a greater number of people in the bars and clubs tonight, than there were yesternight. The day of the week has more to do with increased alcohol consumption than the phase of the moon does, by an awfully long way.

If the researchers discounted any numbers attained during a weekend super moon, any possible effect that would have been shown in the data, would be far more valid than if the data was taken from weekend days which fell on super moon days. If the super moon falls on a weekend, or a bank holiday, then of course there will be more drinking done on those days, but one cannot say with certainty that this fact has anything to do with the moon!

Admittedly with the week end more whoopie-conducive,
the extra pull of Luna will probably get this first date with
a marvelous Gaelic lady and YT home on the train instead
of the highway. That damned extra gravitational pull should
too well assist levitating the caps off the barbiarian US
overgassed Guinness bottles. Medic.

We old sots over here, any excuse at all.. blame the Moon, right.

I did however pledge on the phone earlier in the week I'd be
on my best behavior. Considering my recent years of expeience
and present circumstances, this could now turn out like Katie Elder
v. Hyde. Either my marital status or gender could experience
some sudden if not traumatic adjustment from this. Charming...

ps. On Hyde-- Bruce D just said the Maiden is too loud to play at
the Park. I say preposterous. Set up under that dinner plate the
next time around as full and let fly I say. Cue fissures/bones/Eddie
whomever. THAT combination could be metaphysically provocative:
at least more than a couple of near-geriatric saturated wierdos.

EDIT:: and OP, your first flag for much more than gravity issues...
and well substantiated!
edit on 12-7-2014 by derfreebie because: Crazy Moon is not a cunard

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Now I know why I got my rib broken yesterday
Been to pubs hundreds of times, never even gotten to a fight. This time, night was ending, I went out before my friend. As I had to wait a bit, I started a conversation with some random girl standing alone there, smoking. Suddenly some guy comes, does not even say anything, just hits me with his leg, straight to ribs. Other people interrupted then, I did not even take a hit back, he just got arrested immediately by the security, still damage got done. First broken bone ever and out for the season.

Either just unluck or your theory gets some backing. There is a reason for everything, after all.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I dont need to go to the pub--I have 4L of boxed wine right here

The pub is across the road if I need it tho

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
As for a demonstration of the concept so far ?. I'm starting to think Q.E.D, early I know, but the response to date seems to make the proposition postulated seem to be self evident.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

On the contrary.

I am quite capable of reading the amount of information you provided in a very small amount of time indeed, even with a beer in hand

However, what I said still stands. The people who are doing this research entirely fail to take into account other factors in their research, with the day of the week that a given result was encountered being given no heed what so ever. As pointed out in one of the links you provided, the studies which showed the most correlation between lunar cycles and drinking, were numerically inaccurate because they failed to take account of important variables, like how many people who were pulled over for drink driving were ACTUALLY drunk, and the results were averaged out using twenty eight days as a base, rather than the more accurate twenty nine point... three was it?

In any case, the majority of the findings are easily contestable and do not stand up to close scrutiny.

I am not missing the point, I just so happen to disagree with the premise. There IS no correlation between human behavior and the phases of the moon, in any realistic sense what so ever. Your reply to me, contained a quote in which it is stated that a computer examined some data to establish whether or not there is a link between these things, and reported a possible relationship between human behavior and the phases of the moon. However, the machine is even LESS likely to have taken into account the day of the week, placement of public holidays, the day the majority of people got their pay checks, the timing of sporting events, and a whole host of other relevant factors, than would be a human examiner!

Personally speaking, I think that the methods and thought behind these studies is not nearly effective enough, that the results can be trusted on face value. I think more comprehensive, and therefore better data, which takes all these factors into account, is required before anyone ought to step over the fence, or indeed discontinue sitting upon it, where this issue is concerned.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

When I went into labor for the birth of my son, the hospital ward was FULL of women in labor. They were rushing to and fro with all these women.

We were in the hallway trying to get me into the OR for delivery and having to wait a min. before the room was free... I looked up and the nurses around me and said... what's going on?

She told me, it's a full moon, we are ALWAYS busier on full moons - it makes women go into labor. As a beside, both of my children were born on full moons. I have worked in many a hospital and all you have to do is ask any nurse their perspective on full moons and women going into labor, most tell you there is a connection, and the hospitals I have worked in I saw the same thing time and time again, when the moon is full, the hospital is busier.
edit on 12-7-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
A super moon Saturday brings out the party in the young. They will flock to the bars. It will be a wild night here in Negaunee, with fireworks for for the Pioneer Days festival tonight. Thursday was night on the town . I see an energetic night tonight, hopefully it will be clear so the moon can add to the festivities.

You should always lock your door at night, especially when people around are drunk. They can try to get into the wrong house sometimes....because they are drunk. Most instances aren't a problem, wrong party address at the bar is one of the biggest culprits.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
This is the last thing we need with all the crap going on in the world at the moment.

We are already run by lunar-tics. Isnt this where that word (lunatic) came from?

Correct you are.

The term lunatic derives from the Latin lunaticus ("of the moon" or "moonstruck") which originally referred mainly to epilepsy and "madness" as diseases caused by the Moon. By the fourth and fifth centuries astrologers began to commonly use the term to refer to neurological and psychiatric diseases.

Philosophers such as Aristotle and Pliny the Elder argued that the full Moon induced insane individuals with bipolar disorder by providing light during nights which would otherwise have been dark, and affecting susceptible individuals through the well-known route of sleep deprivation.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I'm locking myself inside the pub. At least I'll know which crazies I'm dealing with.

Oi !!! lemme in !! I need a beer .. or at least have the courtesy to set out a couple cases of beer..

@ myselfaswell .. ask anyone thats worked a&e or er duty during full moon theres alot more patients come in for treatment ..
edit on 12/7/14 by Expat888 because: typo .. need more beer ..

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Tell that to the POM, clearly he's not fully understanding and fairdinkum he bangs on a bit. Clearly suffering the effects of the Super Moon if you ask me.

Cheers
MSAW

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

Interesting, I never thought about the origin of the word lunatic.

Origin

Middle English: from Old French lunatique, from late Latin lunaticus, from Latin luna 'moon' (from the belief that changes of the moon caused intermittent insanity).

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

originally posted by: skunkape23

Oi !!! lemme in !! I need a beer .. or at least have the courtesy to set out a couple cases of beer..

@ myselfaswell .. ask anyone thats worked a&e or er duty during full moon theres alot more patients come in for treatment ..

G,DAY PAT.
RGR DAT. i'll sit with you and if he wont keep us supplied i'll let his bloody car tyres down or we could raid RIFRAAF'S fridge and then takre over the pub across the road.
All joking aside
both you and Myselfaswell are right.
i used to take out a lady that worked in a hospital with locked doors and her comment to me was.
i hate full moons. they all go really off. we will have to sedate the lot tonight

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I have a nice bottle of wine, amaretto, and a six pack of Landshark beer. I don't have to go out at all to get plotzed. It's Saturday night, don't care if it's a full moon or not.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Super moon + heat wave = Might as well go out, too hot to sleep.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join