It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did Colorado do with all the folks in jail who were busted for marijuana?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
In Louisiana there is a group who are trying to get the penalties for being busted with pot lessened.. i assume in light of Colorado's and Washington's new stance on recreational use of marijuana. This got me thinking.. I haven't heard what if anything these places are doing with those in jail for the "crime".

Say you got busted fo having a 1/4 bag of pot and went to jail. A week later your state makes recreational use legal. Do they let these people out? Do they get any type of compensation?

Our jails have an overcrowding problem and a large number of folks who could be let go are simple pot users. This would save millions on the system if these folks were let go. What if anything is being done about this?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix
Because the state has been reforming its drug policies over the last decade, Way said, "It’d be pretty difficult to find many people doing hard time in Colorado simply for marijuana possession. But there’s still room to assess the issue -- whether we’re talking about pardons, clemencies, or commutations -- there’s probably some people doing time in Colorado prisons who are considered habitual offenders and marijuana charges were part of that analysis."
Not releasing them....

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
i do not think its should have ever been illegal!
but they knew it was illegal and still did it that is the issue
they was punished for not following the rules

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Colorado Approves Retroactive Reversal of Marijuana Convictions

The Colorado Court of Appeals has ruled that residents there convicted of marijuana possession before recreational weed was legalized may be eligible to have those decisions overturned.

Sounds like a case-by-case thing.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Awesome news.. thanks for the info.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

On a similar note, Now that it is a legal product to use, are employers still drug testing for it and can they legally fire you if you test positive?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

On a similar note, Now that it is a legal product to use, are employers still drug testing for it and can they legally fire you if you test positive?

Wouldn't that depend on company policies?

Beer is recreational, but I can still be fired for drinking at work.
Cigarettes are legal, but my workplace prohibits smoking on the property.
And smoking marihuana might be legal, but fact still remains that it will impact your learning and your reaction time if you are under the influence.

So yes. In some cases there will be grounds for being fired. If you are a "recreational drug addict" then you should perhaps use it friday night and saturday. That way it should be almost gone from your system monday morning, when you show up for another gruelling interval between fixes.

Edit:
Perhaps I should add that I don't regard recreational drugs as good. Not even the "safe drug" that marihuana is supposed to be.
The legalization has nothing to do with government being sensible and realizing that marihuana isn't bad. Plenty of scientific work proves that it is.
Legalization is merely an indication that the government has lost the "war against drugs", and have realized that prisons only have so much space inside (unlike the Tardis in that way as well).
You could argue that a vast number of US citizens have no regard for law and order and have forced the issue by disregarding the law to such an extend that the only other option would be to declare almost the entire nation criminals.
edit on 12-7-2014 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Do they let these people out? Do they get any type of compensation?

Maybe.

They broke a law (as much as I disagree with it). That's what they're locked up for ... breaking the law. The state could decide to let 'em off, or they could decide to make 'em serve the full term. Compensation is _highly_ unlikely.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

It also depends if they are in a state or federal prison. If they are in a federal prison they will have no hope in hrll of getting out

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have read enough that I am beginning to really enjoy listening to the people who have been on the MJ demonisation and suppression bandwagon and who have been lied to and misdirected,SQUIRMING LIKE WORMS ON THE HOOK,there is no going back now and YES you have been lied to abput MJ and its effects and impacts for your entire lives,ha ha ha haha,I sooooo love the sudden shock these people are given,it is poectic,simply poetic.

The truths of MJ are now being openly revealed,and nothing can stop the process.

It is now politiclly incorrect to pick on MJ,ha ha haha.it is about time.

Hospitals and schools and infrastructures are ALREADY being built with MJ tax dollars,no moral bandwagon is stopping that type of progress,not when it is a societally accepted issue we are talking about.

Eat your crow,all those who have conspired to support the suppression of MJ truths for so many years,and who have grown so comfortable with their lies that they have treated them as reality,welcome to the true reality you have been intentionally ignoring.

I wonder how many more times we will have to listen to those sorry wailing cries for the Status Quo majoritys support that is NEVER COMING AGAIN, this sad sad sound is now actively emanating from the mouth of every anti-MJ person in America.

It is simply time to get with the Program and let it go,it is not Politiclly correct to slander MJ now,it is now societally accepted and this is not changing .

Lets start feeding the White Wolf and talk about the clemency programs and how much societal progress we are making with the millions and soon to be BILLIONS of new tax dollars we are seeing pumped BACK INTO AMERICA for the FIRST TIME.

Yes, get together and find expedient ways to clear kids records,all MJ offenses which do not involve violence or other drugs should be wiped from the record ASAP.

Also face the facts, MJ is SOCIETALLY ACCEPTED and this means a MAJORITY OF AMERICANS accept it is non-criminal and not harmfull to them.

The Country was not able to function from a manpower perspective,no one could be found to hire who was willing to stop doing an action which they deemed to be societally accepted and which society via their opinions and actions ALSO deemed to be acceptable,no FBI recruits,no Police recruits,no federal employees,the list is lengthy and it was crippeling America.

When you cannot run a country because of intentionally misguided and misdirected legeslation aimed at preventing a SOCIETALLY ACCEPTED action , you obviously change the legeslation and tell the detractors to shut up,no matter what group they are,across the board you shut them all up with sweeping legalisation.

No one will listen to pleas for OLD STATUS QUO SUPPORT now,so to anyone who thinks they can keep yipping anti-MJ propoganda,you might as well save your breath because you are now OFFICIALLY IDENTIFIED AS THE MINORITY YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN,and boy that felt good to say.

Societal acceptance has now defined anti-MJ missionarys as a distinct and very small minority.

No one is going to be listening to the moral MINORITY now.And they should never HAVE been listening to what has ALWAYS BEEN a minority voice shouted from the top of a soapbox.

I am glad to have been alive to see these changes happening,it is a privilage to witness lies and suppression being corrected,and I am quite sure there are many many people just like me who are enjoying the show as more and more cockroaches who have been lieing and supressing knowledge for so many years are CORRECTED.

The power grid and Edisons artificially supported and inferior methods will soon give way to Teslas optimal and superior methods,the changes we will be seeing over the next 5-10 years will make the last 100 years of progress pale in comparison.

Just wait till the truths of MJs medical impacts are well known,AS THEY SOON WILL BE ,people will drop out of their chairs when they learn what MJ can do for you if you DONT SMOKE it,but use it in other curative manners.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Can you be fired if you are found to be drunk at work? Same answer.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Yes you can. If it is in their policy they can fire you for testing positive. The guy who was filmed as being the "first guy to buy legal marijuana" in Washington was fired from his job for it but apparently got it back.

With marijuana it's kind of weird because you can test positive and not actually be feeling the effects of it so it does kind of suck esp if you do it at home on your own time. If a company says no marijuana and that you will be drug tested you better not do it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and jobless.

I mean people take their LEGAL prescription drugs at work and those effects can be far worse than anything marijuana will do, yet no firing over that because it's a prescription!

Here is a link to his story.
First person to legally buy weed in Spokane Wa gets fired then gets his job back....

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
i thought it stored in the fat and you would test positive months after the fun had stopped

top topics

join