It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Monument - A masonic symbol?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have to admit, I know very, very little about freemasonry.

Last night I watched a special on the History Channel about the Washington Monument, and they tied some of it in with the Masons. They mentioned that Washington was a mason, they mentioned that when they started building the monument, and the corner stone was laid that they did it within the tradition of masonic ritual, (both times), and that even the dimensions of the monument had some masonic symbolism.

Anyone have any additional information to add about the masonic symbolism of the Washington monument?

I'm just curious... I'm not looking to bash here.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Very likely.

Here's what little Wikipedia says about that...

en.wikipedia.org...

Excavation for the foundation of the Washington Monument began in the spring of 1848. The cornerstone was laid as part of an elaborate Fourth of July ceremony hosted by the Freemasons, a world-wide fraternal organization that Washington belonged to and that still exists today.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
You might find this link interesting. Masonic influence in the design of D.C. doesn't stop at the Washington Monument.

From the link
In 1791, Pierre Charles L'Enfante(the designer, who was a Freemason), laid out Governmental Center of Washington, D.C., he planned more than just streets, roads, and buildings. He hid certain occultic magical symbols in the layout of U.S. Governmental Center.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I do remember hearing some things about the design of DC being influenced by masonic symbology.

I'm wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on what and why?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I'm wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on what and why?

Uhhh, yeah. Check the link.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Uhhh, yeah. Check the link.

Yeah, I did check the link, and that's one side of it. But what's the other???

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Bendict Arnold, and even Lafayette were all mason who practiced their craft in the same lodge during the war of independence. It's true stuff.
As the idiots in the NWO start to take over you will watch the masons go secret again and start fighting back.

df1

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The Secret Architecture of Our Nation�s Capital
In 1999, �The Secret Architecture of Our Nation�s Capital� was first published � oddly, considering the title, in Great Britain. Written by David Ovason, an astrologer whose other works included two books about Nostradamus (one of which trumpets his discovery of a secret language which had eluded all other researchers and the other, published AFTER the horrific events of September 11th, 2001 in New York claims to have now found a quatrain which foretold the event!). It�s also important, we feel, to remind readers that an astronomer is one who is trained in science to understand the heavens; an astrologer is one who, perhaps even self-taught, determines what a person�s life will be by the position of the constellations at the time of their birth � a fortune teller. None of Mr. Ovason's books reveal his education. Perhaps there's a reason?

[edit on 2-12-2004 by df1]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
From what I have seen, heard and read L'Enfante's design for DC did not contain the Washington monument. So he was not involved in it.

What I did see was that a group was founded called the Washington Monument Society, and that they were responsible for the design and original construction of the monument. Their original design was modified, and trimmed due to cost and time constraints.

I am mostly just interested in the masonic symbolism in the finished product of the monument itself.

I just want to understand what the elements are, and what they mean to masons.

I have seen some of the theories of the whole satanic design features of DC in the past, and all of it just seems to really be stretching it to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Depending on the shapes would depend on the meanings. Masons assign the working tools of masonry, ie the 24inch gage, the plumb rule, the chisel etc as anaolgies for their way of life. To live life by the square, I presume would be to be straight and honest, and other things like that.

The square and compass is the emblem of freemasonry, known the world over.

I think the big misconseption with the use of these symbols can be at times really far fetched. To look at a street map of washington, which is made up of numerous straight lines and corners is you could make any shape you want if you try hard enough.

Even if the gentleman who deisgned the layout did intentionally design it around maonic symbols, why has no one ever thought to apply a good reason for it. In example a mason designed the layout of Washington on the basis of the masonic symbols he lives his life by, truth, honesty, justice, brotherly love, and charity. A town built on these principles is not a bad one to me.

I have noticed that alot of people seem to quote freemasonrywatch regarding points against freemasonry, is this part of ATS are some members trying to boost the hit count on that site. It isn't very informative and is way too biased to give any kind of rational judgement or opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
How about the WHOLE of washington a masonic symbol?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Why not the whole world. Lets face it you will forever find angles, you will always find levels, you will always find something that resembles the symbolic references in Freemasonry.

I do not see a problem with this

So what if there is Masonic influence in the design, what would you expect if it is being designed by a mason. Is it not reasonable for a designer to put a bit of himself into something he creates, I cannot see the error or the conspiracy in it. Some one of authority would of selected the design, and someone would of appointed the person to select thr designer etc etc all the way up to the top, and who chooses the person at the top, you do, the public, the voters.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bondi
So what if there is Masonic influence in the design, what would you expect if it is being designed by a mason. Is it not reasonable for a designer to put a bit of himself into something he creates, I cannot see the error or the conspiracy in it.

You keep arguing this point.

If the guy had been asked to design a small country house and he put one or two symols in it fine.. your agument would stand and I would not see much conspiracy there either.

This however is Washington DC. and not some tiny part of it either.. we are talking about the whole governmental district of the City is one big Masonic symbol.

If this had been a gang of youths it would be graffitti the kids tagging up every last clean surface, the masons however specialize in stone work and building... so how do you expect them to advertise their presence? Skywriting with stunt planes?!?!

Stop trying to play these facts down.. it is clear that the masons are advertising the reach of their influence by scattering obvious symbols like
that around their haunts.
I am not trying to say (and i stress this again) that I am not using this as proof of some crazy world take over plan being hatched in some underground James Bond villain lair, but I am trying to show that they have a VERY influential role in todays western world. So influential in fact that they are quite happy with their position and well.... consider the "take over" done, finished, complete...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

So what if there is Masonic influence in the design, what would you expect if it is being designed by a mason. Is it not reasonable for a designer to put a bit of himself into something he creates, I cannot see the error or the conspiracy in it.

You keep arguing this point.

As do you, what's your point. I am making mine, I don't see what the problem of some one putting a bit of themselves in the designs, you and no one esle, still haven't said why a designer cannot do this regardless of what they are creating.

If the guy had been asked to design a small country house and he put one or two symols in it fine.. your agument would stand and I would not see much conspiracy there either.

This however is Washington DC. and not some tiny part of it either.. we are talking about the whole governmental district of the City is one big Masonic symbol.

So a couple of smaller symbols would of been okay, but one big one is not? Where is the sense, or logic, in that. What does it matter what is being, or has been built, as to whether there can be symbolism in it. The fact that it is governmental should negate the point even further, the people vote the government in.

If this had been a gang of youths it would be graffitti the kids tagging up every last clean surface, the masons however specialize in stone work and building... so how do you expect them to advertise their presence? Skywriting with stunt planes?!?!

Flyers and posters like any normal advert probably, but seeing as they don't recruit the point of advertising is irrelevant. Wouldn't mind seeing a plane trying to do the square and compass in the sky though.

Stop trying to play these facts down.

This fact is moveable to any symbol you care to make, can you not see that.

it is clear that the masons are advertising the reach of their influence by scattering obvious symbols like that around their haunts.

That wouldn't be very secretive seeing as everyone has noticed it.

they have a VERY influential role in todays western world.

What, what do they influence exactly?

"take over" done, finished, complete...

What take over? Taking over what?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The influence of the masons is evident in our government form symbols in the money to edifications, it was never hidden as a secret it was there always to be seen.

They are not taking over the government they never did, and they never will.

Having influences on symbols it has nothing to do with a government take over.

If that was to be done it would have been done a long time ago. Unless the real power behind the government the one that we know is there but have not seen, is all mason, but to me they are not.

So our forefathers were masons so what not big deal, masons are not evil maybe if people read more into their humble beginnings will understand the their influence has always been around since the beginning of this nation.

Read the pilgrims path.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Bondi when you start your with "whats your point" (i believe its the very first statement of yours) you must have missed the biginning, middle and end of my previous post. Don't bother replying.

And then you question my point in size... "so a small symbol is ok" etc..

puhlease! Of course scale matters if a mason had scribbled a compass and set-square on a wall in my 'hood fine... but if i suddnely find the whole City i live in has been built into one big Masonic symbol... well thats different isn''t it. Scale matters for the argument i was making.

Look if a group of people have the liberty to shape the capital of the US according to thier symbols, you can safley assume they are close to the decision making process if not actally in conrol of it.

[edit on 3/12/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Corinthas,

I think it is yourself who has missed some of the posts.

In response to you how about the whole of DC, I stated how about the whole world blah, blah

And stated my opinion that I did not see anything wrong with it, and there was no conspiracy. And basically implied all creators will put a bit of themselves into what ever they make, and again didn't see anything wrong with it.

To which you went to state I always argue this point, which I am not, I merely want someone to tell me what is wrong with some putting a bit of themselves into something they are doing. Then to follow up said it would of been different if they were building some else, and I do not understand what difference it makes to what they are making, surely the principle is the same

Scale matters for the argument i was making.

You didn't make any argument, just made a statement using a retorical question.

There is no argument there. A single line posts are bad netiquette.

Look if a group of people have the liberty to shape the capital of the US according to thier symbols, you can safely assume they are close to the decision making process if not actally in conrol of it.

Your forgetting, one person doesn't make an organisation, and how the use of symbolism give you evidence to assume anything. Do you know the gentleman?, do you know why he incorporated the symbols?. Does America not pride it self on freedom of speech, freedom of expression, isn't this what the designer has done. Expressed himself through the symbols of a fraternity he holds dear.

Don't bother replying

Dont post if you don't want a response. Especially not directly to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
OK Bondi the "scale argument"copied pasted from my original post:

"If the guy had been asked to design a small country house and he put one or two symols in it fine.. your agument would stand and I would not see much conspiracy there either.

This however is Washington DC. and not some tiny part of it either.. we are talking about the whole governmental district of the City is one big Masonic symbol. "

Please point out the rhetorical question here... I cant even see a question mark.

Trying not to jump to conclusions here.. ha forget it.. there is no questrion really is there, so please stop. It will just make you look silly, ok?

BTW
One line answers to one line questions seem fine to me net or not.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
This however is Washington DC. and not some tiny part of it either.. we are talking about the whole governmental district of the City is one big Masonic symbol. "

What difference does the scale matter, the principle should still be the same. If it is conspiracy that they include symbolism, it should be where ever it is done. That is what I don't understand about your scale argument. Why is it different? Surely if it was a conspiracy and allowed to be small it would only encourage it to get larger. Do you understand what I mean? Conspiracies don't start off state size, they begin small, one house, one village, then one town and so on, therefore scale shouldn't matter, and all would be classed as consipiracy.

Please point out the rhetorical question here... I cant even see a question mark.

The rhetorical question i referred to was your first post, as quoted.

It will just make you look silly, ok?

To who, I do not feel silly in any way, I am trying to understand your post. I could of just posted that you are being stupid, don't know what you are talking about etc etc like so many do on this forum, but I didn't. I questioned and I enquired.

I think we've been through this before on a different post.

One line answers to one line questions seem fine to me net or not.

This isn't your forum, nor mine, but the remark about the one line answers is in the board rules.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Scale matters for the argument i was making.

You didn't make any argument, just made a statement using a retorical question.

There is no argument there. A single line posts are bad netiquette.

Ok then just have a peek at what you said (i am reminding YOU of what YOU said!!)

It seems the only fault with the "rhetorical" question was the one line aspect of it.

As to my "scale argument" it is to this you said something about a rhetorical question. Even if you did mean my one line rhetorical question you'd be hard pushed finding the word "scale" in it so that can't be the "scale argument" I was referring to now can it?

In case you can't remember have a look...

I am loosing interest in this, you seem to suffer from short term memory and this really impairs communication.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join