It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18-year-old Florida Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Arrested and Expelled...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

In Cali that may have been the case, both could be charged. In Florida however the 15 yr old has no ability to consent, so it is essentially forced and there is no way to defend against the accusation, judging from what I can find.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Since no one seems to have realized this: this is old news. Much development has been made on this case, your article is from over a year ago. I say this kindly and with no dog in anyone's fight.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican
a reply to: Nyiah

The gap only applies after one turns 14 and can not be more than 3 yrs.

"Florida's age of consent is 18, though the law contains a provision allowing 16- and 17-year-olds to consent to having sex with someone age 16 to 23. To qualify for removal under "Romeo and Juliet," the victim must have been at least 14 years old and the offender no more than four years older."

First you state that if you are 14 it can't be more than a 3yr difference. ((The ages of the couple in debate, when first started dating is age 15 & age 17. That first within the time period you stated))

Then you quoted that if you are 14 then you can't be with someone more than 4yrs older. ((The ages of the couple when the parents laid charges 15 & 18. That still fits within the time period in the quote))

Which is it? What you stated or what you quoted?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

In Cali that may have been the case, both could be charged. In Florida however the 15 yr old has no ability to consent, so it is essentially forced and there is no way to defend against the accusation, judging from what I can find.

Weren't you just talking about the Romeo & Juliet clause? If that exists in Florida then it should be ok & not illegal because of what you said & quoted about the clause.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

Since no one seems to have realized this: this is old news. Much development has been made on this case, your article is from over a year ago. I say this kindly and with no dog in anyone's fight.

I didn't not know that. I thought I had seen that it happened this year.

Update on the case:

In August, a judge revoked Kaitlyn Hunt’s bond after finding out the teen had exchanged 20,000 text messages with her underaged girlfriend in direct violation of court orders.
The Stop the Hate, Free Kate campaign was organized by supporters who believed Hunt was targeted by her former girlfriend’s parents for being a lesbian. Kate's Fight via Facebook The Stop the Hate, Free Kate campaign was organized by supporters who believed Hunt was targeted by her former girlfriend’s parents for being a lesbian.

Hunt was released from a Vero Beach jail in December after serving a 120 day sentence for charges including battery, interference with child custody, and contributing to the dependency of a child, CNN reports. She has to wear an ankle bracelet during the next two years of house arrest. There will be nine more months of monitored probation after that.

I'm curious about the charges of battery, interference with child custody & contributing to the dependency of a child. I'll have to dig around in the morning to see if I can find more information.

Kaitlyn's new girlfriend sounds like a real winner too. Probably met her through her probation officer or some other event after the charges were laid against her. (jail, etc)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Read that section I quoted about Florida. It says right in it that it does not make it legal for a 15 and 18 to have a relationship but gives the elder a method to petition the court for removal after a certain time has passed.

"Florida’s “Romeo and Juliet” Law
In Florida, prior to the passage of s. 943.04354, F.S., if a 15 year-old and an 18 year-old were engaged in a consensual sexual relationship, the 18 year-old was subject to registration as a sexual offender and could not petition the court for removal of the requirement to register for 20 years after the completion of his or her sentence, or if adjudication was withheld, 10 years after being released from all sanctions.
Florida’s “Romeo and Juliet” law does not make it legal for an 18 year-old to have a sexual relationship with a 15 year-old; however, it does provide a mechanism for the offender to petition or make a motion to the court to remove the requirement to register as a sexual offender if certain criteria are met. "
edit on 12-7-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

From December..."Hunt was charged in February with having sex with a 14-year-old female schoolmate when she was 18. A previous plea deal was withdrawn in August following allegations that Hunt exchanged thousands of texts with the girl and sent her nude photos. A judge revoked her bond, sending her to jail, where she remained the past four months." News Story

So was she 15 or 14?

The crime of Simple Battery or Misdemeanor Battery is defined under Section 784.03, Florida Statutes. In Florida, the term battery means:

any actual and intentional touching or striking of another person against that person’s will (non-consensual), or
the intentional causing of bodily harm to another person.
Where there are no aggravating factors or enhancements at play, such as use of a weapon, serious bodily injury, or domestic violence, the offense is known as “simple battery” or “misdemeanor battery.”

The offense of “contributing to child delinquency” is defined under Section 827.04, Florida Statutes. Under the law, any person who:

Commits any act which causes, tends to cause, encourages, or contributes to a child becoming a delinquent or dependent child or a child in need of services; or
Induces or endeavors to induce, by act, threat, command, or persuasion, a child to commit or perform any act, follow any course of conduct, or live in a manner that causes or tends to cause such child to become or to remain a dependent or delinquent child or a child in need of services
commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083 [Florida Statutes].

787.03 INTERFERENCE WITH CUSTODY
(1) Whoever, without lawful authority, knowingly or recklessly takes or entices, or aids, abets, hires, or otherwise procures another to take or entice, any minor or any incompetent person from the custody of the minor's or incompetent person's parent, his or her guardian, a public agency having the lawful charge of the minor or incompetent person, or any other lawful custodian commits the offense of interference with custody and commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(2) In the absence of a court order determining rights to custody or visitation with any minor or with any incompetent person, any parent of the minor or incompetent person, whether natural or adoptive, stepparent, legal guardian, or relative of the minor or incompetent person who has custody thereof and who takes, detains, conceals, or entices away that minor or incompetent person within or without the state with malicious intent to deprive another person of his or her right to custody of the minor or incompetent person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) A subsequently obtained court order for custody or visitation does not affect application of this section.

(4) It is a defense that:

(a) The defendant had reasonable cause to believe that his or her action was necessary to preserve the minor or the incompetent person from danger to his or her welfare.

(b) The defendant was the victim of an act of domestic violence or had reasonable cause to believe that he or she was about to become the victim of an act of domestic violence as defined in s. 741.28, and the defendant had reasonable cause to believe that the action was necessary in order for the defendant to escape from, or protect himself or herself from, the domestic violence or to preserve the minor or incompetent person from exposure to the domestic violence.

(c) The minor or incompetent person was taken away at his or her own instigation without enticement and without purpose to commit a criminal offense with or against the minor or incompetent person, and the defendant establishes that it was reasonable to rely on the instigating acts of the minor or incompetent person.

(5) Proof that a person has not attained the age of 18 years creates the presumption that the defendant knew the minor's age or acted in reckless disregard thereof.

(6)(a) The offenses prescribed in subsections (1) and (2) do not apply in cases in which a person having a legal right to custody of a minor or incompetent person is the victim of any act of domestic violence, has reasonable cause to believe he or she is about to become the victim of any act of domestic violence, as defined in s. 741.28, or believes that his or her action was necessary to preserve the minor or the incompetent person from danger to his or her welfare and seeks shelter from such acts or possible acts and takes with him or her the minor or incompetent person.

(b) In order to gain the exception conferred by paragraph (a), a person who takes a minor or incompetent person under this subsection must:

1. Within 10 days after taking the minor or incompetent person, make a report to the sheriff's office or state attorney's office for the county in which the minor or incompetent person resided at the time he or she was taken, which report must include the name of the person taking the minor or incompetent person, the current address and telephone number of the person and minor or incompetent person, and the reasons the minor or incompetent person was taken.

2. Within a reasonable time after taking a minor, commence a custody proceeding that is consistent with the federal Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act, 28 U.S.C. s. 1738A, or the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, ss. 61.501-61.542.

3. Inform the sheriff's office or state attorney's office for the county in which the minor or incompetent person resided at the time he or she was taken of any change of address or telephone number of the person and the minor or incompetent person.

(c)1. The current address and telephone number of the person and the minor or incompetent person which are contained in the report made to a sheriff or state attorney under paragraph (b) are confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution.

2. A sheriff or state attorney may allow an agency, as defined in s. 119.011, to inspect and copy records made confidential and exempt under this paragraph in the furtherance of that agency's duties and responsibilities.

3. This paragraph is subject to the Open Government Sunset Review Act in accordance with s. 119.15 and is repealed on October 2, 2011, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
imo the statitory rape laws just mess up peoples lifes

it dosent mater the sex of the 2 this should not be part of it

its simple kids in highschool should be exempt from this law

the law is just to broad circumstances are everything

if where talking about a 18 yr pricking up girls on there way home and having a one night stand than yea not right

talking about someone engauged in a relationship a real relationship lasting months theres not exacaly a victim its 2 kids in a relationship nothing more i highaly doubt the 18yr made the younger girl her targeted prey

with how this system works now most who are on the offender list are infact from highschool

just my pespective the war on drugs isent geting people in the system so lets hook em when there young
how nice would it be for the goverment to have everyone they can on the sex offfender list
it gives them unlimited acsess to you to protect children

way to go for the children thats how u get them even if it hurts the children

in no way am i saying pedos shouldent be persicuted tied to a cross and burned but the list should be for them not the guy or girl that had sex in highschool its just wrong

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I utterly and entirely disagree. Not to pry but do you have any children? A 15 year old is a child, children have no ability to consent; why you ask, because their brains are not fully developed. New studies say not till 25 are you done developing mentally. Smart kids do stupid things so they say. Good judgment and comprehension can not all be taught by parents, it develops. What age did you stop taking wanton risks? How do your action effect others around you? I know I did not fully realize the ramifications of my actions until much later in my adult life, some adults never get it.

So, by YOUR reasoning, being the other person was ONLY 18, they shouldn't be charged, being they have no ability to consent or be in a relationship, right?

I know a couple, the guy is a convicted sex offender because of the Romeo and Juliet law, the day he turned 18, her (she was 15) parents pressed charges against him.
Guess what? They've been married 10 years and have three children.
It's a bullcrap law

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

So was she 15 or 14?
The three different articles I read about this case, the ages were 15 & 17 when it started & 15 & 18 when it ended.

The offense of “contributing to child delinquency” is defined under Section 827.04, Florida Statutes. Under the law, any person who:

Commits any act which causes, tends to cause, encourages, or contributes to a child becoming a delinquent or dependent child or a child in need of services; or
Induces or endeavors to induce, by act, threat, command, or persuasion, a child to commit or perform any act, follow any course of conduct, or live in a manner that causes or tends to cause such child to become or to remain a dependent or delinquent child or a child in need of services
commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083 [Florida Statutes].

By this law here, the parents of the 18yr old should press charges against the parents of the other girl.
They committed an act which caused & contributed to the child becoming a delinquent, they followed any course of conduct that caused the child to become/remain a delinquent child.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I'm see 14 in the more recent ones is why I ask. They might be able to especially if they could prove any act took place in their house, but that could also go the other way as well then.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

What an 18 year old can consent. You do not understand what Romeo and Juliet Laws are it would seem....that clause allows an 18 to petition to be removed from the sexual offenders list after certain criteria are met, that is all it does provides a method to petition the court.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
In Washington State, my legal guardians tried to have my sisters boyfriend arrested. He was 18. She was 15. Nothing could be done since the age difference was less than 3 years (36 months). Maybe their age difference is over 36 months or the laws are just different there.

I'm guessing other people have been arrested in the past for breaking the same law, or I could be wrong and this could be the very first time this law was enforced. Actually, it must be the first time that this law was enforced in the case of an 18 year old dating a 15 year old, because otherwise we would have heard the same uproar and had a change.org petition with over 39,000 signatures.

It's not like there is anything different or special about this case that would require all the extra attention compared to past cases. Therefore it stands to reason that there must be no past cases similar to this one in the state of Florida with a 15 year old in a relationship with an 18 year old. Because to think otherwise... I mean, jeez... how unfair to all the other people who got prosecuted and have to live their life as a sex offender and they didn't have thousands of people on their side outraged about it...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Authorities say Hunt was 18 when she had sex with her then-14-year-old girlfriend.
www.wctv.tv...

There you go. She was 14 at the time. Hunt was 18. Now, is that wrong or is that OK?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Authorities say Hunt was 18 when she had sex with her then-14-year-old girlfriend.
www.wctv.tv...

There you go. She was 14 at the time. Hunt was 18. Now, is that wrong or is that OK?

I'm going to stick with what the 18yr olds Mom said for age, 15 & 17 when they started dating & when the girl turned 18 the younger girls parents pressed charg

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
www.wctv.tv...

the fact they where i the same class makes them peers imo therefor legal

classmates oh the same intelectual level

to say 1 persion of a age is the same as another is obserd

there is to many factors to even consider in a court of law

just let it go both where of conssent and same class in school its all bs

if this law where to be held to the fullest most of you/high school population would be in prision

go figure sex happens in highschool deal with it the age diferance is almost nonexsistant

ffs where not talking about a 18 yr having sex with a prepuessent teen

if you can honestaly i mean absolutaly honistaly say you where not wanting and willing to be with a senor when you where a freshman you are a minority in the debate we have all been there

there where 2 in the relationship both willing unless you can prove it was rape its inoccent umm experment nothing more

if you disagree i chalenge you to polygraph to say in highschool no i mean none at all persion who was age aise wrong for you to be with

let kids be kids ffs this whole law on age is wrong completaly wrong its a hook to get you in the system

if they reazlly wanted to protect kids they would hit pedos with hard sentences even death and leave kids messing with other kids alone they dont just proof its part of get you in the system early

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join