It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18-year-old Florida Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Arrested and Expelled...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I realize that this has already been made a thread but I noticed some errors in the information that was said.

18-year-old Florida Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Arrested and Expelled From High School Over Gay Relationship; Charges Pressed By Her Girlfriend’s Homophobic Parents

In a modern day Romeo and Juliet family feud, a family has been torn apart by the homophobia of their daughter’s girlfriends parents who pressed “lewd and lascivious battery” felony charges on her after finding out about their gay relationship. Earlier this school year, Florida’s Sebastian River High School senior Kaitlyn Hunt, who at the time was 17, began a relationship with her classmate, a 15-year old girl.

On February 16, Police arrived at the family’s home and put her daughter in handcuffs, charged with two felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12–16 years of age, according to Examiner.

“These people never came to us as parents, never tried to speak to us… and tell us they had a problem with the girls dating,” Kaitlyn Hunt’s mother, Kelley Hunt-Smith, wrote in a statement posted to Facebook. “…They were out to destroy my daughter. [They] feel like my daughter ‘made’ their daughter gay.”

In the other thread they had the girls ages as 18 & 14. Kaitlyn was 17 when she started dating a 15yr old girl who went to her high school. The parents of the 15yr old, waited until Kaitlyn turned 18 to press charges.

According to Examiner, the state attorney’s office has offered Kaitlyn Hunt a plea deal which includes two years of house arrest and a year of probation, which would stay on her adult record and limit her career choices.

If the charges go through, Kaitlyn will have to register as a sex offender.

Kaitlyn’s Mother also wrote the following statement on a Change.org petition, which has over 39,000 signatures, urging Florida State Attorney Brian Workman to “Stop the prosecution of an 18 year old girl in a same-sex relationship.” Her statement reads:
My daughter Kaitlyn is a wonderful 18-year-old who is not guilty of anything other than a high school romance, but is being prosecuted for 2 felony counts of “lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12–16 years of age,” because she has a girlfriend who is 15.

I really hope the charges get dropped. This is a really ludicrous situation where clearly the other parents girls are attacking Kaitlyn because they are upset that their own daughter is gay and was in a relationship with their daughter. Kaitlyn's life shouldn't be ruined because of some homophobic people.

(((For those who are assuming I'm only mad because it is happening to a lesbian, you are wrong. I would still think it is stupid if it were happening to a heterosexual couple. Two high school kids should be able to have a consensual relationship without charges being laid just because the parents don't approve)))
edit on 11-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I don't think one should be demonized for disagreeing with the homosexual lifestyle. We are all entitled to our opinions. Homophobe is a hater's label.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispowert

This happens to straight kids all the time. Why not to gay kids? They want equality, right?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

This happens to straight kids all the time. Why not to gay kids? They want equality, right?

My Thoughts exactly. IF she were a boy and it was an 18 year old boy dating a 15 year old girl, would we be this upset?

ONLY if we are that upset than I agree, but as society we try to bend the rules a bit when it suits us, but when it scares us we have to "go by the letter of the law"

Can't have it both ways. Either we make exceptions in obvious situations like the one I mentioned and the one in this story, or we continue down the dangerous path of treating everything like a bureaucracy with no human sympathy.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

No special privileges. It's messed up but they need to change the law not give special treatment. I have known people prosecuted under the exact same laws. Lesbians should get no break. They want equal rights there's your equality. I'm sure there are lots of cases of someone who got sent to jail because they were a year too old and not good enough for the parents. Nobody was protesting these laws then. Just sayin.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Statutory Rape it happens all the time....why should this situation be any different. Florida has much stricter consent laws than other states...

"Florida's age of consent is 18, though the law contains a provision allowing 16- and 17-year-olds to consent to having sex with someone age 16 to 23. To qualify for removal under "Romeo and Juliet," the victim must have been at least 14 years old and the offender no more than four years older."
edit on 11-7-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
I don't think one should be demonized for disagreeing with the homosexual lifestyle. We are all entitled to our opinions. Homophobe is a hater's label.

There is a difference between disagreeing with the homosexual lifestyle & trying to ruin someone's life.

When you are personally going after a homosexual in order to ruin their life then yes you deserve to be called homophobic because that is what you are: afraid.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Perp should have thought about consequences of actions. Period.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I don't think it should happen to straight kids. I don't see a problem with teenagers being in a consensual relationship when they are in high school. I dislike it when a parent disagrees with the relationship so they decided to press charges against them.

My Mom threatened to do that to me because she didn't like a guy I was dating at the time. I told her she would destroy our (my Mom's and mines) relationship if she did that. I told her that because I'm 16, obviously this relationship won't be lasting long so just wait it out.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican

Statutory Rape it happens all the time....why should this situation be any different. Florida has much stricter consent laws than other states...

"Florida's age of consent is 18, though the law contains a provision allowing 16- and 17-year-olds to consent to having sex with someone age 16 to 23. To qualify for removal under "Romeo and Juliet," the victim must have been at least 14 years old and the offender no more than four years older."

When the girls started dating, one was 17 and the other was 15.

It doesn't sound like it was statutory rape, it sounds like pissed off parents who are vindictive & are attacking the girl because they disapprove of the gay relationship.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with you people, agreeing with this? It was a high school romance. Just a couple of kids- no one should have their lives ruined because of who they love (even if it's just puppy love).

As for the 'fair is fair' crowd- None of it is 'fair'. Neither the boys nor the girls. What's 'fair' is leaving people the hell alone to live their lives as they wish to, so that you may do the same.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

When you were in high school, did you think about ever single consequence of every action you ever did? When you were in high school, did you avoid dating some kids because their parents might press charges against you?

I know when I was in high school, I never thought about being careful about who I dated because it might offend the other persons parents.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

A 15 year old can not consent. That is all there is to it. Whether the older is 17 or 18 matters not. I am not trying to be an ass about it but that is the law....I have seen many young adults convicted of this.....an I do agree my daughter has no ability to consent to an adult relationship.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's like you people were never kids before.

What the hell happened to you to make you like this? What the hell happened to make people so hateful as to wish ruin to a young girl? Two young girls, really. How is this going to effect the personality of the younger one? Not positively, that's for certain.

Oh wait- I think I know what it is: Yep! I do! The religions of peace and brotherly love happened!

edit on 15u0003pmb14America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

When you were in high school, did you think about ever single consequence of every action you ever did? When you were in high school, did you avoid dating some kids because their parents might press charges against you?

I know when I was in high school, I never thought about being careful about who I dated because it might offend the other persons parents.

Actually, yes, I used my head. It's something my parents, responsible people, taught me.

When I was a kid during the Dark Ages we didn't spend all our time thinking about f***ing. We actually paid attention in school and dated appropriately.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't think it should happen to straight kids. I don't see a problem with teenagers being in a consensual relationship when they are in high school. I dislike it when a parent disagrees with the relationship so they decided to press charges against them.

My Mom threatened to do that to me because she didn't like a guy I was dating at the time. I told her she would destroy our (my Mom's and mines) relationship if she did that. I told her that because I'm 16, obviously this relationship won't be lasting long so just wait it out.

That's just it!

This isn't an issue about gay versus straight, but an issue of the Law!

Two days ago this was posted.

AboveTopSecret

It was about a 17 year old boy whom was dating a 15 year old girl. The girl sexted him pictures of herself, he then sexted her pictures of his "member". The girls mother flipped out and now the prosecutor and cops are trying to ruin his life! They have gone as far as requesting that the boy be medically aroused so that they can take a picture of his willy!

How sickening is that?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Actually, yes, I used my head. It's something my parents, responsible people, taught me.

When I was a kid during the Dark Ages we didn't spend all our time thinking about f***ing. We actually paid attention in school and dated appropriately.

I never had sex in school but I still didn't think about the possibility that someone would press charges against me for dating someone a couple years younger.

That doesn't mean that I'm an idiot or my parents were irresponsible people, my parents didn't see that as an issue. Maybe because I only dated someone who was 2yrs younger than me. If I had dated someone way younger than me then I could see them discussing it with me.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

That's just it!

This isn't an issue about gay versus straight, but an issue of the Law!

Two days ago this was posted.

AboveTopSecret

It was about a 17 year old boy whom was dating a 15 year old girl. The girl sexted him pictures of herself, he then sexted her pictures of his "member". The girls mother flipped out and now the prosecutor and cops are trying to ruin his life! They have gone as far as requesting that the boy be medically aroused so that they can take a picture of his willy!

How sickening is that?

Again I will restate that I think it is stupid to happen to any child, LGBTQ+ or heterosexual.

That story is ludicrous & the case should be tossed out. It's a classic example of parents overreacting and someone's life shouldn't be ruined because of it. If the guy had raped the girl then that is a completely different story and the kid should face criminal charges but for dating someone a couple years younger....that's just stupid.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The law is the law. Nobody ever cares about these laws till they are the one getting prosecuted. Shoulda been protesting these laws when it was straight people going to jail for it all the time. Now that it's "cool" to be gay I suppose we shouldn't apply the same laws to them. Are they going to remove all the old people prosecuted under these same circumstances from sex offender registries? I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying why the uproar today because it happened to a lesbian? It's like they have a special status now and none of the ills of society that the normal American faces are supposed to ever affect them. Lol.
edit on 11-7-2014 by rustyclutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican

A 15 year old can not consent. That is all there is to it. Whether the older is 17 or 18 matters not. I am not trying to be an ass about it but that is the law....I have seen many young adults convicted of this.....an I do agree my daughter has no ability to consent to an adult relationship.

That's stupid, why can't a 15yr old consent? Are they incapable of making decisions for themselves, no.
They know what they are getting into and what goes on in a relationship, if they don't that's the parents fault and not the fault of the 15yr old.

What difference does one year make? None.

I could see it being an issue if the child was 15 and the other person was 19+ but that's not the case here.

I also think it's dumb how at 18 you are classified as an adult but you can't drink yet, for some dumb reason you have to wait a couple more years to drink, even though you are an adult. Where's the logic in that?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join