It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Robots Reporting For Duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It looks like the future of warfare is finally here.

As early as March or April, 18 units of the Talon -- a model armed with automatic weapons -- are scheduled to report for duty in Iraq. Around the same time, the first prototypes of a new, unmanned ambulance should be ready for the Army to start testing. In a warren of hangar-sized hotel ballrooms in Orlando, military engineers this week showed off their next generation of robots, as they got the machines ready for the war zone.
-Wired December 01, 2004 By Noah Shachtman

This is just the begining folks. We will not stop improving and developing this until our enemy stops sending humans to fight.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think this was reported in another thread actually.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Different forum though...applies here as well I'd think...

I'm just imagining the look on a terrorist's face when confronted with a terminator, hehe...

In his best Arnie voice..."Osama Bin Laden?"

RATTA-TAT-TAT-TAT!!!!

Of course, one has to wonder, how do they identify targets? Are they remotely piloted? (or do I just need to read the link...???
)

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I think this was reported in another thread actually.

No, the other thread was talking about China's thirst for robots.

This is the about the US actually deploying ground robots and their armed. I have seen a lot of good stuff on these little packbot type ones, they are very strong, you can though it out of a 2 story building onto rocks and it wont break. Arming them is a step in the right direction, whats the point of seeing the enemy if you cant kill it. This will also help lower the risks to the troops, like if the suspect an IED they can drive the robot up for a closer look why they sit in their humvee.

Another new Army thing I like is the Unmanned Ambulance.

The REV (Robot Ectraction Vehicle) carries a second, smaller robot that can drag the wounded off the battlefield. So basically the the smaller unmanned one comes out of the bigger umanned one and has a claw type of grip and would grab your uniform and pull you into the bigger one and then drive tou to the nearest hospital.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I posted it in the Waeponry forum:
HERE

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
ehhh, big deal- just robots, can always be put down

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
No, the other thread was talking about China's thirst for robots.

I don't know about that but i do recall posting in another thread about armed robots that were going to be deployed in iraq.

This will also help lower the risks to the troops, like if the suspect an IED they can drive the robot up for a closer look why they sit in their humvee.

Another good thing is that it will allow the number of civilian casualties to be dropped. Instead of havign a human being fighting for his life, its someone controlling a machine, not distracted by the danger of gunfire and threat of death, carefully killing the enemy

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Thats just too cool. So why the heck have these dudes not been sent ,if they were ready a month ago? We should already have info concerning the aftermath of the tiny terminators....lol
Why waste our tax money?
Great inventions. Can hardly wait for the outcome.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by krt1967]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
Thats just too cool. So why the heck have these dudes not been sent ,if they were ready a month ago? We should already have info concerning the aftermath of the tiny terminators....lol
Why waste our tax money?
Great inventions. Can hardly wait for the outcome.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by krt1967]

huh? your post is kinda confusing, it seems like you want them but then you talk about wasting the taxpayers money

I think that there arival is overdue, but I dont want them to be rushed in there design or production, and have them in iraq and having people evac a house so it can be searched but then the robot malfunctions and spins in circles while shooting.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think they'd be pointless in Iraq, the war in my opinion is about 2/3rds of the way through, seeing as they still need to create and uphold an effective government to control the militia groups...

So sending robots in would be a waist of money because they are not needed at the moment. Maybe when a war starts they would be handy to take out big enemy targets, but until then, tanks and soldiers will have to do!

top topics

join