It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
a reply to: 727Sky

I wonder what effect it would have on electronics, if any?

Just turn your GPS upside down and all will be fine

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
im sure this will amount to nothing.. just more hype to force the world to believe we can change things by human involvement of restrictions and right losses.
Obama will spin this somehow to make it the US responsibility to create more magnetism on the earth..

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA
You are probably right. But I have been thinking about my theory again today. What if the Earth acts as a giant generator or alternator with the molten iron core acting as the armature spinning inside the earth, with the Earth' mantle and crust acting as the field circuit. Veins of iron ore may act as the field windings and the core spins within this field to generate electricity. Now if the field winding is broken or dug away by mining, you now have an open circuit in that winding. The generator cannot produce the same power.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: GallopingFish

No. The Sun's cycle is 11 years. The Earth's flip is many thousands.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

Here is a more precise timeline on how long between reversals.
I got curious so I went and looked it up quick.

A geomagnetic reversal is a change in Earth's magnetic field such that the positions of magnetic north and magnetic south are interchanged. The Earth's field has alternated between periods of normal polarity, in which the direction of the field was the same as the present direction, and reverse polarity, in which the field was the opposite. These periods are called chrons. The time spans of chrons are randomly distributed with most being between 0.1 and 1 million years with an average of 450,000 years.

Most reversals are estimated to take between 1,000 and 10,000 years. The latest one, the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, occurred 780,000 years ago. A brief complete reversal, known as the Laschamp event, occurred only 41,000 years ago during the last glacial period. That reversal lasted only about 440 years with the actual change of polarity lasting around 250 years. During this change the strength of the magnetic field dropped to 5% of its present strength.[1] Brief disruptions that do not result in reversal are called geomagnetic excursions.

en.wikipedia.org...

This could just be a blip or since we have not had a full blown reversal in 780,000 years, it could be the real thing.
We look to be due.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm no expert but I'm getting a feeling that this is something to do with the 'Radiation' we are emitting and our Planet is dying as we are killing all the Nature!

Cool your socks bunny, that has nothing to do with it.

This is a natural process that happens every 500k years or so, give or take a few hundred thousand years.

The north magnetic pole is currently moving towards Siberia from its location in Canada.

The field averages a strength of around 40,000nT, so even the loss of 80nT is small. However, this is in a period of just six months.

A weaker magnetic field would expose the planet to increased radiation, both from distant supernovae and from the solar events, although there is no evidence that the doomsday scenario of a planet temporarily without any magnetic field at all has ever occurred.

(wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp...)

The changes are driven by a complex set of sources, from the core, mantle and crust of the Earth and influences in space. The largest influence is thought to be the convection currents in the molten iron of the core causing expansion at some points and contraction at others. Thee convection currents may sometimes lead to domains where the magnetic field runs in the opposite direction to the main field, canceling part of it out.

(www.esa.int...)

So, if the trend kept up of 80 nT decline every six months, at 160 nT/year, you'd be talking about a 2% drop after five years, 20% after fifty.

But the drop is not constant, it get weaker and stronger as the decades go, gradually growing weaker of course.

Or, you know, Aliens did it.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This might be a sign of a coming pole shift. Something that happens periodically as from study of geological records. This is likely the first time it will happen in recorded history, where we have the scientific instrumentation to keep track of it.

Other pole swaps have happened without negatively affecting life on Earth in the long term. I think humans were even around for the last one or so, but our technology then was no better than banging rocks and rubbing two sticks together.

It could be that the weakening of the field does allow for more radiation during the swap, which causes more mutations (along with bad stuff like cancer). Perhaps this natural process may have helped keep an evolutionary pace for life on this planet that wouldn't occur otherwise.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

July 2014 – GEOLOGY - Earth’s magnetic field is a protective shield for our planet from cosmic radiatio

Silly me i thought part of the protection from cosmic rays was the fact the earth rotates.

So fast if provides gravity.

That gravity keeps most of the air in place.

That air depending on the volume is natural radiation protection source.

Since radiation exposure depends on TIME, and DiSTANCE, and whatever 'barrier' is used.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's all good... just break out the sunblock SPF 5000.

The cumulative data about climate and ecology ...and now Geo-magnitism... is enough to make me want to nullify my nervous system even more than usual.

Skoal... here's to facing the massive food shortages and melanomas with style!

It does make me wonder about some of the bigger extinction events... asteroids and radiation... who picked this planet anyway?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Solar Maximum + a weakening Earth's field is not a good combination.

What is interesting is how the weak areas rotate with the earth.

Earths poles also flip, but not as frequently as the sun. As we approach the flip, (I hear) the holes in our Earth's field become a lot worse.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

The weakening field is a symptom of pole shift. We are due for one around now.

We know they happen and happen on a regular basis, every 100,000 years or so, as I recall.

I am not talking 2012 crap here, just one of natures little treats for us.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Interesting, but I think longer than a 6 month study is warranted before everyone flips out on this.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Silly me i thought part of the protection from cosmic rays was the fact the earth rotates.

So fast if provides gravity.

Gravity has nothing to do with spin. It's a force proportionate to the difference between the mass of two or more objects, relative to their distance from each other.

That gravity keeps most of the air in place.

Air is not in place, it's rather fluid and does depend on gravity, but not spin.

That air depending on the volume is natural radiation protection source.

"air" is comprised of atmospheric particulate matter, not sure what volume has to do with this, perhaps you are mistaking density, and molecular shape of specific particulates.

Since radiation exposure depends on TIME, and DiSTANCE, and whatever 'barrier' is used.

Radiation exposure does depend on these things, but I'm not sure how that relates to the rest of your reasoning.
edit on 12-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JoeTheJoe

I did say 'I wasn't an expert'.

I was just offering up a possible cause.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If there was a pole shift you had better be at least 200 miles inland, because tsunamis would wipe out every coastal area around the globe. As the planet rolls out of its current orbit, and the poles readjust, it would create a sloshing effect of the worlds oceans and cause 200 foot (or higher) waves that would decimate all coastal areas.

Massive earthquakes would also occur, along with new volcanic activity. So many volcanoes would erupt at the same time, there would be huge amounts of ash blown up into the atmosphere, which would darken the planet (block sunlight) to a degree, for at least 10 years after this event.

But as in all times of darkness, the sun would eventually reappear, and the survivors would build a new world based on the values of peace and brotherhood. For through their tribulations they will have learned the value of cooperation, compassion, kindness, acceptance, tolerance and sharing with one another for the benefit of all, and not just the few.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

So what happens. Did they miss the 2012 mark by a couple of years. Maybe another Toba Catastrophe Assassins Creed style.

Yeah if the field weakens and a solar flare happens, the power grid goes down all electronics and power grids will be burned. You need a bunker and a Faraday box.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: starborn
If there was a pole shift you had better be at least 200 miles inland, because tsunamis would wipe out every coastal area around the globe. As the planet rolls out of its current orbit, and the poles readjust, it would create a sloshing effect of the worlds oceans and cause 200 foot (or higher) waves that would decimate all coastal areas.

Massive earthquakes would also occur, along with new volcanic activity. So many volcanoes would erupt at the same time, there would be huge amounts of ash blown up into the atmosphere, which would darken the planet (block sunlight) to a degree, for at least 10 years after this event.

But as in all times of darkness, the sun would eventually reappear, and the survivors would build a new world based on the values of peace and brotherhood. For through their tribulations they will have learned the value of cooperation, compassion, kindness, acceptance, tolerance and sharing with one another for the benefit of all, and not just the few.

I remember seeing this type of confusion quite a bit during 2012.

What you just described is: Crustal Pole Displacement.

What the thread is talking about is the MAGNETIC poles. Not the physical locations of where the Earth's axis of spin is.

Magnetic poles and physical poles are two different things.

The Earth's magnetic poles have reversed many times over the Earth's history and has left it's foot print of doing so in volcanic rock as it cools.

The Earth's physical poles have never "flipped" as far as we know (and there is no geological indicators that the Earth has ever done so).

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

You hit those points dead on, but I'm concerned about your definition of Gravity. It has nothing to do with other massive bodies. A single massive body will have its own gravitational force. It's simply a warping of space around a massive body.

That being said, Gravity is still very much an unproven theory. Clearly it exists, but "why" it exists is still a mystery to scientists, especially on the quantum level. Most people don't know that

Here's a very quick and "dirty" overview of how gravity (supposedly) works:
Gravity

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

The earth has it's own gravity, pulling the moon into orbit around it, and yet the Sun pulls the Earth into orbit around it.

That's a very easy understanding of what I was talking about.

The object need not be massive, merely the object with the highest mass for quite some distance, to pull in another object.

In the most accurate truth, every object in the universe is attempting to pull in on every other object in the universe, but is limited by it's mass and location in comparison to each and every other object.

We can model this out and imagine it to be a folding of space, but even then I tend to view this is merely a relative and limited tool for our puny minds. I think it's more accurate to view each object as emitting their own gravity waves, which seem to warp space. The more mass an object has, the deeper the ripples, which lessen over each cycle (distance).
edit on 13-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I have heard a theory that the Magnetic Field of Earth reacts with the Solar Cycles, and the Sun is at a weak point in its cycle. So it would make sense that the earths magnetic field is also at a weak point.

How would that factor in with or explain the Western Hemisphere weakening, while the field has strengthened over areas like the southern Indian Ocean? Wouldn't the whole magnetic field be affected if this were true?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join