It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transhumanism - The Future is Now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm not interested in the negative possibilities of Transhumanism we are well aware of them - but there is a negative side to all progress - this is the price of progress - But progress will go on. First let us define what we mean by the term Transhumanism:

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international cultural and intellectual movement with an eventual goal of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.[1] Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as the ethics of developing and using such technologies.[2] They speculate that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".[1]

The contemporary meaning of the term transhumanism was foreshadowed by one of the first professors of futurology, FM-2030, who taught "new concepts of the Human" at The New School in the 1960s, when he began to identify people who adopt technologies, lifestyles and worldviews transitional to "posthumanity" as "transhuman".[3] This hypothesis would lay the intellectual groundwork for the British philosopher Max More to begin articulating the principles of transhumanism as a futurist philosophy in 1990, and organizing in California an intelligentsia that has since grown into the worldwide transhumanist movement.[3][4][5]

Influenced by seminal works of science fiction, the transhumanist vision of a transformed future humanity has attracted many supporters and detractors from a wide range of perspectives.[3] Transhumanism has been characterized by one critic, Francis Fukuyama, as among the world's most dangerous ideas,[6] to which Ronald Bailey countered that it is rather
the "movement that epitomizes the most daring, courageous, imaginative, and idealistic aspirations of humanity".[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

And where did this transhumanism actually begin? They say it was the 1960s and better defined by the late 1980s. But in fact it begins a long time before that. We can trace it to the first artificial limbs and the first spectacles [eyeglasses] - those are its early manifestations. And where is it going to now? An artificial limb that is better than the original limb; An artificial eye that will be able to see better than
your original eye; Artificial body parts better than the original, not prone to wear out and replaceable when they do; Brain implants that will fix problems of cognition. An ability to extend human life in powers and years.

Does this scare you? It scares many but it will happen and is happening now. So let me ask you, if we could give you the power to live longer, stronger and better with less disease and yet still maintain that which makes you human, a soul if you believe in one, would you take the opportunity or would you let the fear of your own human nature stop you? Tell us Man are you afraid of evolving into the Future Man

edit on 9-7-2014 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Lets not forget the internet. Along with all of these technologies also come wireless access to pretty much everything We know. Right now it is in our homes and in our pockets, but how long until it is literally inside of our heads? We are all connected to each other through the internet and I don't see that trend slowing down anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yes humanity is stupid enough to invent its replacement GRIN technologies DARPA and military x-men is the primary focus of these new technologies but you wish to discuss positive aspects so yes with robotics and nanotechnology there will be advances but artificial intelligence and genetic modification will lead to immortalism,postgenderism,cryonics,designer babies,chimeras,neurohacking,mind uploading and all sorts of things that probably will lead to disaster.
edit on 9-7-2014 by khnum because: needed to expand

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
Yes humanity is stupid enough to invent its replacement

Humanity stupid? History does show that doesn't it? Smart enough to create a better replacement - remains to be seen.
The negative side we can do a lot worse - But Transhumanism is based on the optimistic view that we can do a lot better.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

sorry I edited my post to be more specific see above.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's almost cliched at this point, but one of my major concerns is the wealthiest people becoming so much smarter, faster, stronger, healthier and longer lived than those who cannot afford augmentation (through implantation, genetic engineering, whatever) that upward social mobility effectively ceases.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

That is a political/social issue but even without Transhumanism don't the wealthiest get the best doctors, better medical care and the ability to afford youth enhancing alternatives that the rest of the world doesn't? That money rules is the nature of the current economic paradigm - sure Transhumanism of the future would favor the rich - But for now as it is developing many not so rich will be recruited for trial programs of the technology. I once met someone who was getting paid to be a medical guinea pig for the drug companies.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is a Pandora box. This can be great like it can be the worst idea in transhuman history. With great power comes great responsibility, are we responsible now with the current powers and knowledge?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Personally I want no part of this future. I am content to be what I am now.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Amen.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Nature without us is perfect. There's a reason why evolution is slow. A lot of trial and error goes into it. We human think we're superior but our lifespan is so short compared with the grand scheme of things that too often our advances create long term problems. Think of fossil fuels, or actually most technologies, we always fix problems we create with new tech that brings its own set of more complicated problems. All we had to do is enjoy life and eat the fruits. We're trying to make everything better and we're killing ourselves in the process.
edit on 9-7-2014 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
OK people I knew there would be naysayers but the future is coming and how any of us feel about it will not change it. This is not to say that we should not try to influence it to prevent more of the negative consequences of technology some or you are concerned with - we should try to ride the dragon rather than be devoured by it. Here is an interesting declaration written by some Transhumanists some years ago.

Transhumanist Declaration

"Humanity stands to be profoundly affected by science and technology in the future. We envision the possibility of broadening human potential by overcoming aging, cognitive shortcomings, involuntary suffering, and our confinement to planet Earth.
We believe that humanity’s potential is still mostly unrealized. There are possible scenarios that lead to wonderful and exceedingly worthwhile enhanced human conditions.
We recognize that humanity faces serious risks, especially from the misuse of new technologies. There are possible realistic scenarios that lead to the loss of most, or even all, of what we hold valuable. Some of these scenarios are drastic, others are subtle. Although all progress is change, not all change is progress.
Research effort needs to be invested into understanding these prospects. We need to carefully deliberate how best to reduce risks and expedite beneficial applications. We also need forums where people can constructively discuss what should be done, and a social order where responsible decisions can be implemented.
Reduction of existential risks, and development of means for the preservation of life and health, the alleviation of grave suffering, and the improvement of human foresight and wisdom should be pursued as urgent priorities, and heavily funded.
Policy making ought to be guided by responsible and inclusive moral vision, taking seriously both opportunities and risks, respecting autonomy and individual rights, and showing solidarity with and concern for the interests and dignity of all people around the globe. We must also consider our moral responsibilities towards generations that will exist in the future.
We advocate the well-being of all sentience, including humans, non-human animals, and any future artificial intellects, modified life forms, or other intelligences to which technological and scientific advance may give rise.
We favour allowing individuals wide personal choice over how they enable their lives. This includes use of techniques that may be developed to assist memory, concentration, and mental energy; life extension therapies; reproductive choice technologies; cryonics procedures; and many other possible human modification and enhancement technologies."

The Transhumanist Declaration was originally crafted in 1998 by an international group of authors: Doug Baily, Anders Sandberg, Gustavo Alves, Max More, Holger Wagner, Natasha Vita-More, Eugene Leitl, Bernie Staring, David Pearce, Bill Fantegrossi, den Otter, Ralf Fletcher, Kathryn Aegis, Tom Morrow, Alexander Chislenko, Lee Daniel Crocker, Darren Reynolds, Keith Elis, Thom Quinn, Mikhail Sverdlov, Arjen Kamphuis, Shane Spaulding, and Nick Bostrom. This Transhumanist Declaration has been modified over the years by several authors and organizations. It was adopted by the Humanity+ Board in March, 2009.

Source link:
humanityplus.org...

But of course its a big world with all kinds of people - I sometimes admire the Amish who reject almost all modern technology and drive around with a horse and buggy - If you really don't like technology you might try to joins them.
But if you are going to stay in the modern world face it - we are not going to go backwards and the future should be meet with a positive slant - there may be many good things that will come out of the technology of the future.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
And next Generation Consoles don't glitch.

So it not really worth trading my humanity for an all. Thanks for the offer. Maybe when Windows 3999 comes out, but would it still be called windows by that time. Maybe they will make creation myths about it.
edit on 9-7-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

BIg time S & F for you on this one. I wish that this thread would get more attention, because this is the future whether we like it or not. Simply saying you want no part in it by either dismissing it or pointing out the possible negative consequences is no different than putting your fingers in your ears and talking loudly hoping some annoyance will simply go away.

Guess what? It's not.
It's progress. If we fail to get active now, then the nightmare scenario of this technology becoming exclusionary and not widely available will happen.

I have been writing a page about this idea under the frame work of Luciferianism at another site, and I put forth the argument that transhumanism can be traced back to St. Lucifer of Cagliari, the Catholic Bishop.
Lucifer Caglaritanus opposed the Roman Arian ruling class, who ruled the church and Rome during his day.
The Arians believed that God and man could not coexist and that the Son of God, Jesus, did not exist before he was born.
The trinity was not doctrine at that time and neither was the idea that we were created in God's image.
In fact, the Roman Empire and church at the time of Lucifer Caglaritanus thought the idea that man and God could be the same was heresy.
Eventually, under pressure from St. Lucifer and his contemporaries, the church buckled and the ideas of the trinity, man being in God's image and Jesus as divine became doctrine. Jesus became God and thus man could be imagined as God, but while still remaining man. The very nature of humanism is secular, but due the efforts of St. Lucifer, this idea became doctrine and the seeds were sewn for the transhumanist movement.
Prior to him, we could not have imagined that we could be like Gods. Now we will become them.

Cheers.

edit on 10/7/2014 by kyviecaldges because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kyviecaldges

And if man ever does become, or think it self's as Gods, something better comes along, making the views of superiority dwindle, realizing no matter how far they think they are from being mortal, that they are still human.

Personally, I'd love to stop going to the bathroom, but still eat delicious dishes. Others might just carve out their heart, not able to withstand emotion, or maybe the pitiful soul just forgot, or never learned how to handle it.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen

And if man ever does become, or think it self's as Gods, something better comes along, making the views of superiority dwindle, realizing no matter how far they think they are from being mortal, that they are still human.

Personally, I'd love to stop going to the bathroom, but still eat delicious dishes. Others might just carve out their heart, not able to withstand emotion, or maybe the pitiful soul just forgot, or never learned how to handle it.

I am sorry to be confused, but what exactly are you saying here?
How exactly does this apply to anything that we are discussing?

I am not trying to be a jackass. I genuinely don't see you making any sort of applicable argument.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Im just sayin, when humans thinks it reached some stage of evolution, or have thought itself God. Thats when it will fall so hard.

It no different then a fish thinking it the top of the lake, or ocean. Then an even a bigger, or more adaptable fish comes along. Just saying, that there always someone stronger.

Added: Hell it doesn't have to be bigger, it could just be more voracious and fast fish. Or it could be a fish with survival mechanisms like spines on it body, and it could eat that Top fishes foods, with no worries. Or hell, maybe those small fish that get eaten could survive them both if the water ever changed temperature.

Biological Warfare, no different then technological warfare, there always something bigger or better, even though it could be half way across the world.

edit on 11-7-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
And now fellow travellers and for further understanding of the skeptics, a couple of Transhumanist quotes:

“I expect to see the coming decades transform the planet into an art form; the new man, linked in a cosmic harmony that transcends time and space, will sensuously caress and mold and pattern every facet of the terrestrial artifact as if it were a work of art, and man himself will become an organic art form. There is a long road ahead, and the stars are only way stations, but we have begun the journey. To be born in this age is a precious gift, and I regret the prospect of my own death only because I will leave so many pages of man’s destiny — if you will excuse the Gutenbergian image — tantalizingly unread. But perhaps, as I’ve tried to demonstrate in my examination of the postliterate culture, the story begins only when the book closes.”
― Marshall McLuhan

“But this was the real world wasn't it? Miracles must happen in some parallel universe.”
― Clyde Dsouza, Memories With Maya

“What is a human being, then?'
A seed'
A... seed?'
An acorn that is unafraid to destroy itself in growing into a tree.”
― David Zindell

Source:
www.goodreads.com...

top topics

join