It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poppy Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Poppy Project

The Poppy project aims at building an Open-source humanoid platform based on robust, flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software.
Designed by the Flowers Lab at Inria Bordeaux and Ensta ParisTech (France), its development aims at providing an affordable and hackable humanoid robot for science, education, art and geeks

I tried to upload the videos that are on the main page of the website but as they aren't youtube videos, I'm not 100% sure how to add them. I deleted them from here because it was making a bunch of text go missing.

n the Flowers Lab, our current research with Poppy studies the role of body morphology in cognitive development, and in particular in the generation of adaptive movement, as well as physical and social interaction with the environment.

We also study how the DIY and open-source approaches, with tools such as 3D printing, can allow to conduct experimentations where the body becomes an experimental variable that can be changed, tuned, repaired in the lab. This has not only important potential consequences for technology, but also for fundamental science and philosophy related to the understanding of humans.

We are also interested in applying new developmental learning algorithms to learn biped walking and we are exploring physical human robot interaction for both human-robot collaboration and socially guided biped walking acquisition.

This is pretty neat, both software and hardware are available under an open source license for academics, artists and geeks. Plus it's not super expensive, the overall materials needed to build your own Poppy robot costs around 7500€ (($10,890.83 Cad)) (including motors, electronics and 3D printed parts). I thought it would cost way more money.

With all the recent developments in robotics Robot can be programmed by casually talking to it it makes me wonder how much closer we are to having our own Rosie

Of course any time I think of Rosie from The Jetsons I think of this skit:

edit on 9-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: tried to get videos to work, a bunch of text went missing

edit on 9-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: tried again to make videos work but still was missing text

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Rut Roh! Raggy! What will some do with this? I can see some weaponizing this, sexing it, etc. I would! LOL!!! Good post and Thanx for the Share! Syx.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Rut Roh! Raggy! What will some do with this? I can see some weaponizing this, sexing it, etc. I would! LOL!!! Good post and Thanx for the Share! Syx.

There are probably some who will do it for companionship (not for sex, just company) and others who will see what they can make it do and how far they can push it's limits, the tinkerers if you will.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Humans are good at company too and guess what they are already here! Some are lonely and want companionship too!

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a human companion and want a robot companion. You know he doesn't really understand you, he is just programmed to know what to say in certain situations.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
Humans are good at company too and guess what they are already here! Some are lonely and want companionship too!

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a human companion and want a robot companion. You know he doesn't really understand you, he is just programmed to know what to say in certain situations.

I imagine it would be because they fear that a human would leave them eventually but a robot wouldn't leave them. They could also be sick of different human flaws like lying, cheating, etc & want something that will be never changing & always honest.

top topics

join