It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Cites Deep Rift With U.S. Amid Second Spy Case

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So a 2nd US spy has now been caught in Germany. This is either a supreme failure of our foriegn policy, more evidence of out of control intelligence agencies or both. I'm going with both. This is bad. We're rapidly losing any goodwill we have with our global allies. If anyone thinks that's a good thing they would be wrong. Pretty soon it's going to be the world against the US.

Germany Cites Deep Rift With U.S. Amid Second Spy Case

German authorities announced the second investigation into espionage within a week as Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman signaled an escalating rift between the U.S. and Germany over intelligence practices.

The Federal Prosecutor’s office said it’s investigating a possible espionage case after the Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported that a German working in a military-related area was suspected of spying for the U.S. The chancellery is in contact with U.S. officials, said Steffen Seibert, Merkel’s press secretary.

The Karlsruhe-based prosecutor’s office said police had searched rooms and offices in the Berlin area of an unidentified male under preliminary suspicion of engaging in espionage.

So it's a "prelininary" investigation. If verified I believe the POTUS needs to step in and end this practice of spying on allies while we still have some left. Of course that's assuming he actually has the power and the will to control or intelligence agencies. I'm thinking he has neither.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Im pretty sure they (Germany) has spies in the US too. Every major government has them, you would be absolutely brain dead to not have spies gathering critical intel on your enemies and ALLIES.

You cant expect your allies to share everything with you, especially after you had taken a collective crap all over them (WWII and the following decades).

Just dont get caught

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
LOL !

Germnay crying about spying ?

That is what WEST Germany did for decades before they finally decided to 'unify'.

Germany's BND !

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That is what WEST Germany did for decades before they finally decided to 'unify'.

Germany's BND !

I think Angela Merkel may have been helping out the eastern side during that time. Maybe not as a spy but perhaps in the ministry of propaganda?

former German Transport Minister Günther Krause -- an eastern German politician who worked with her in the final months of the GDR and as a fellow minister in the government ex-chancellor Helmut Kohl in the early 1990s -- contradicts her in the book and says she propagated Marxism-Leninism.

"With Agitation and Propaganda you're responsible for brainwashing in the sense of Marxism," he said.
How Close Was Merkel to the Communist System?

Maybe Angela is worried about the info in those US intelligence files?

edit on 852pm2929pm22014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

I think Angela Merkal may have been helping out the eastern side during that time.

That makes it even more funny !

The Ministry for State Security (German: Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, MfS), commonly known as the Stasi (IPA: [ˈʃtɑːziː]) (abbreviation German: Staatssicherheit, literally State Security), was the official state security service of the German Democratic Republic or GDR, colloquially known as East Germany.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ex Stasi crying about spying!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm more than sure the POTUS DEEPLY regrets that ANY intelligence assets were caught.Other than that it seems it's all apathy to our allies.I personally don't really KNOW why they are there but once again, sloppy work, honest people should be thankful it is being halted perhaps.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Pretty sure China has more spies in Germany than we do.

Second verse.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Second verse.

I highly doubt it.

I doubt it for the same reason that I doubt that the US has more spires in China than China has in the US. Ethnicity.

Very easy to slip a spy into a country that has the same (or exceedingly similar) ethnicity as the bulk of your population. Not so easy when you have that extra hurdle to cross.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I highly doubt it.

I don't China has more people, and money than we do.

Chinas MSS:

en.wikipedia.org...

Even Germany has an entry there.

Just for snips and giggles:

zeenews.india.com...

The WORLD'S top 10.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We already dealt with ALL of that during the first part of the cold war,it has been going ever since. Our politicians don't engage like they did in the passed, they FEAR confrontation,so everything is remote ,at a "safe" distance,by any means necessary to maintain it. That is why they thought electronic assets ONLY are the way to go and we have effectively lost our HUMINT knowledge buy ingnoring it away bureaucratically. It's more P.C. than dealing with the riff raff of the world and it won't be their fault.

And such stupidity ROLLS on.

edit on 9-7-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Germany, France, China the entire Middle East, Half of Africa, most of South America, Russia. Do we know anyone we (the USA) have not pissed off?

Running out of friends quickly..... Sooner or later we had best build a wall to isolate ourselves from those we have isolated.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Second verse.

I highly doubt it.

I doubt it for the same reason that I doubt that the US has more spires in China than China has in the US. Ethnicity.

Very easy to slip a spy into a country that has the same (or exceedingly similar) ethnicity as the bulk of your population. Not so easy when you have that extra hurdle to cross.

Valid as far as it goes perhaps but in the first case we actively turned one of their people into a double agent. Looks like it may be the same with the second one. That seems to me a hostile act against an ally.

edit on 863pm0000pm22014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I highly doubt it.

I don't China has more people, and money than we do.

Chinas MSS:

en.wikipedia.org...

Even Germany has an entry there.

Just for snips and giggles:

zeenews.india.com...

The WORLD'S top 10.

Ooooo...Chinese spies spying on Chinese xpats...I wonder how they slipped into those communities.

The US, in the past month, has had more spies caught in Germany, than China has...in her existence.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Ooooo...Chinese spies spying on Chinese xpats...I wonder how they slipped into those communities.

Pretty much like the KGB did since the MSS was modeled after it.

Hell forget all those 'American cities' built in 'Mother Russia' to train their spies ?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

This is either a supreme failure of our foriegn policy, more evidence of out of control intelligence agencies or both.

How is it either of those things? Both "spys" were citizens of Germany and both allegedly approached the US and volunteered up information.

one unnamed politician told Reuters news agency the suspect had offered his services to the US voluntarily.

www.bbc.com...

Sounds more like the German version of Edward Snowden to me. So they got caught, how is that either a "supreme failure" or "out of control intelligence"? The US can't help it if incompetent foreigners share their government's secrets and get caught.

edit on 9-7-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Plus the fact the US didnt give germany back its gold. I think germany gave up asking..

I wouldn't trust the US either.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

How is it either of those things? Both "spys" were citizens of Germany and both allegedly approached the US and volunteered up information. Sounds more like the German version of Edward Snowden to me. So they got caught, how is that either a "supreme failure" or "out of control intelligence"? The US can't help it if incompetent foreigners share their government's secrets.

First we spied on them (big time) and when we were called on it all Germany got was a bland statement that we wouldn't tap their communications. Which was a lie.

Then we actively paid the first spy to procure documents when we just had that fiasco. Instead of telling our "ally" that maybe they had a leak we actively leveraged it against them. Not the act of a friend.

Oh sure you're right, US intelligence isn't out of control. They're the good guys... and as soon as the CIA finally stops clamming up about these issues we'll all know the truth. Just right now they're too busy posting funnies on Twitter for them to own up to the potential break they just caused in our foreign affairs with Germany.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mamatus
Germany, France, China the entire Middle East, Half of Africa, most of South America, Russia. Do we know anyone we (the USA) have not pissed off?

Running out of friends quickly..... Sooner or later we had best build a wall to isolate ourselves from those we have isolated.

Hmmm Alrightie

Germany-BND
France- DGSE
China-MSS

The Middle East

Israel- Mossad
Saudi Arabia- GIP
Iran - VEVAK

Russia GRU

They all spy on each other.

And when it comes to nation states ?

None has any 'friends' because a nations self interest will ALWAYS over ride any 'alliance'.
edit on 9-7-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

So it's a "prelininary" investigation. If verified I believe the POTUS needs to step in and end this practice of spying on allies while we still have some left. Of course that's assuming he actually has the power and the will to control or intelligence agencies. I'm thinking he has neither.

Yeah imagine the president taking action on anything other than giving his fellow americans the shaft.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just makes one wonder, for every one "caught", how many aren't?

Especially if these people were just Germans that offered? How many do we already "own" over there and everywhere else?

Ooooh, maybe we had them get "caught", so one of ours didn't? (mind wanders.......)
edit on 9-7-2014 by chiefsmom because: addition

top topics

<<   2 >>

join