It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aldrin: First Man On Mars 'Shouldn't Come Back'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
On the topic of Aldrin & Mars, here is an older NASA scripted video from 1989 with the crew of Apollo 11 on the anniversary. The first 12 minutes of the video are glittering generalities.

Fast forward to the 12:00 mark for the questions about the future of manned space exploration...
Some discussion about the global environment at 24:00 mark.
The meaning of moon rocks at 27:00 mark.

Neil Armstrong is an expert but here he speaks in nothing but glittering generalities... hiding his real thoughts behind those enigmatic smiles and truth's protective layers.

Mike Collins is much more casual than Neil, but his spreading of the glittering horse sh-- generalities is just the same. Do these guys ever get a tough question? No, they don't.

Buzz Aldrin is quite the talker... and it seems that he has always been the most outspoken member of the Apollo 11 crew. He says his advice on Mars exploration would not be 'pertinent' to his experience! Buzz is an actor who has recited his lines many times. See the Q & A at the 16:00 minute mark.

So why should we listen to Buzz Aldrin now??? He told us in 1989 that his advice wasn't 'pertinent'

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Here's a nice graphic presentation of what Buzz said in 1989 about us listening to his advice on future Mars missions...

Why should we care what Buzz Aldrin has to say about Mars? Does anybody know if Buzz volunteered to go to Mars?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
if we expended the capital to build long service life general purpose solar system cruisers no mission to the planets need be one way.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What was Neil Armstrong's answer?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
What was Michael Collins' answer?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yes because if they don't come back, we won't know what really happened to them... O.O

Was that Logans Run where they live underground and have a lottery set up for the winners to go tout a vacation in paradise but really they were all clones for rich people and when they win the llottery it really just means they were harvested for their organs to save the life of the rich person on the surface? Actually now I think it was a different movie...not sure.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I totally support the Mars mission. Maybe Elon Musk should team up with Richard Hoagland, build up all sorts of curiosity for the Mars mission, get people interested in the "Tetrahedral Geometry", the ancient artifacts that may be on mars, and all the funny business with NASA (that may be a touchy subject).

Also, I hope that we don't simply talk about going to Mars but Actually send people there, for the first time publicly, we will finally have some humans (publicly acknowledged) on mars.

They can even turn the first publicly acknowledged humans on Mars into a reality show, imagine the ratings!! You will see history in the making, almost live (delayed by about 13 minutes), that would be very interesting. The money made from the reality show may completely pay for the mission!!

There you go, SpaceX goes to mars, makes a couple bucks, puts a couple of nickels together and we get to see history
made.

Just like Arnold in the 1990 version of Total Recall, it's time to get our asses to mars!

edit on 10-7-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SayonaraJupiter
On the topic of Aldrin & Mars, here is an older NASA scripted video from 1989 with the crew of Apollo 11 on the anniversary. The first 12 minutes of the video are glittering generalities.

Fast forward to the 12:00 mark for the questions about the future of manned space exploration...
Some discussion about the global environment at 24:00 mark.
The meaning of moon rocks at 27:00 mark.
Neil Armstrong is an expert but here he speaks in nothing but glittering generalities... hiding his real thoughts behind those enigmatic smiles and....
Mike Collins is much more casual than Neil, but his spreading of the glittering horse sh-- generalities is just the same. Do these guys ever get a tough question? No, they don't.

Buzz Aldrin is quite the talker... and it seems that he has always been the most outspoken member of the Apollo 11 crew. He says his advice on Mars exploration would not be 'pertinent' to his experience! Buzz is an actor who has recited his lines many times. See the Q & A at the 16:00 minute mark.
So why should we listen to Buzz Aldrin now??? He told us in 1989 that his advice wasn't 'pertinent'

All the same answers because they were space astronauts and only on the Moon, and they trained for that, and expected to be back home for tea-time...so to speak.
Mars is a different ball-game altogether.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Sign me up!

Man I can find all kinds of things to do on the red planet, I would never be bored.

I'm the kind of guy who can entertain himself for hours.....and that is just the corner of my house, lol, but a whole planet? and other projects to boot?

Sign my up RIGHT NOW!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Because someone asked him the question and he answered it with his opinion which is at least worth double yours as he has experience that you don't have. I'm not saying he's qualified to give an authoratative answer, but if someone asked him on camera, would you rather he refused to comment so you could imply he's not allowed to?

You're very keen on expressing your views on space travel over the last half century or so, is there a reason you allowed to opine more than Aldrin?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
You're very keen on expressing your views on space travel over the last half century or so, is there a reason you allowed to opine more than Aldrin?

Thank you for the compliment but there are probably 50-100 other ATS users who are also "very keen" on expressing their views on space travel.

I'm just posting source material. You may interpret it any way you like.

If this thread gains any momentum it would, I think, be best if we just focus on Buzz Aldrin and his views on Mars, how his views have evolved over 45 years, and to let the readers decided what they want to believe. Maybe you would like to participate by searching the internet for transcripts of old interviews and posting them here in this thread.

Maybe YOU could contribute some content here to this thread? I think it would make a dull thread into a very interesting project thread if someone, or a team of someones, built this thread around Buzz Aldrin quotations about Mars.

What other things can we find on the internet? What other things can we find in books? I am very curious to know what else Buzz has said about Mars over the last 45 years. Perhaps there are some ATS scholars out there who can drop some knowledge on this thread with some "Buzz Aldrin Mars Quotes!"

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Mars gravity is 1/3 that of earth so a return trip is possible but whats the benefit in sending humans for say a ~4 week stay when for 1/1000 the cost, robotic rovers can travel around mars for years at a time. Better to invest in the discovery of alternatives to chemical rocket propulsion instead of wasting it all on an ego trip.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
All the same answers because they were space astronauts and only on the Moon, and they trained for that, and expected to be back home for tea-time...so to speak.
Mars is a different ball-game altogether.

NASA scripted questions, NASA scripted answers. That is what the 1989 video is about.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
frankly we would be better served developing a fast general purpose solar system cruiser. then any place could be visited quickly. expeditions could go to places of interest dwell on them for extended missions and load up and return or go on to another location. the ships could have a service life like navy capital ships. 30 50 or even 100 years.

then we wouldn't have to talk of one way missions. if someone wanted to establish a permanent colony they could. but going home would be as easy as booking passage on an old steamer ship.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Thank you for the compliment but there are probably 50-100 other ATS users who are also "very keen" on expressing their views on space travel.

I'm just posting source material. You may interpret it any way you like.

If this thread gains any momentum it would, I think, be best if we just focus on Buzz Aldrin and his views on Mars, how his views have evolved over 45 years, and to let the readers decided what they want to believe. Maybe you would like to participate by searching the internet for transcripts of old interviews and posting them here in this thread.

Maybe YOU could contribute some content here to this thread? I think it would make a dull thread into a very interesting project thread if someone, or a team of someones, built this thread around Buzz Aldrin quotations about Mars.

What other things can we find on the internet? What other things can we find in books? I am very curious to know what else Buzz has said about Mars over the last 45 years. Perhaps there are some ATS scholars out there who can drop some knowledge on this thread with some "Buzz Aldrin Mars Quotes!"

Not sure I paid you a compliment, it wasn't my intention. A pilot who was part of the journey to the moon was asked his opinion, he gave it. Your contribution doesn't add to it, it just shows your own opinion.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Not sure I paid you a compliment, it wasn't my intention. A pilot who was part of the journey to the moon was asked his opinion, he gave it. Your contribution doesn't add to it, it just shows your own opinion.

Not true. Buzz was not asked for his opinion... he was asked "what advice would you give" to future mars astronauts.. The video from 1989 showed that all three Apollo astronauts did not want to offer any advice to future mars astronauts. Now, in 2014, Buzz is offering advice for mars. Why should we listen to him now...? He told us 25 years ago that his advice wasn't pertinent. Neil and Mike say the same thing in different words...

I'd love to see Buzz on a talk show... where the host is asking him questions about future mars missions... the talk show host whips out this tape from 1989 ... plays it back to Buzz... and what would Buzz's reaction be?? Huh? What? Derp?

It would be priceless, am I right?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Not true. Buzz was not asked for his opinion... he was asked "what advice would you give" to future mars astronauts.. The video from 1989 showed that all three Apollo astronauts did not want to offer any advice to future mars astronauts. Now, in 2014, Buzz is offering advice for mars. Why should we listen to him now...? He told us 25 years ago that his advice wasn't pertinent. Neil and Mike say the same thing in different words...

I'd love to see Buzz on a talk show... where the host is asking him questions about future mars missions... the talk show host whips out this tape from 1989 ... plays it back to Buzz... and what would Buzz's reaction be?? Huh? What? Derp?

It would be priceless, am I right?

Bit sad and pathetic really - do you stand by everything you may have said over 20 years ago? If you don't, then that's normal the world changes as does your experience. If you do, well, that's sad.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

sure there is but it would take generations to teraform but simply melt is polar ice caps plus direct huge comets into it on regular basis for water or just get the water from its ice moons. and their is plenty of fuel out there last i cheched jupiter was a great big ball of hydrogen thow in some oxygen and there you go . but the real key to success would be devoting the cash to mission. its why the moon landings worked but since then nasa has been blah why . because no money

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It's fine saying you'll go on a one way trip while you're sat in a chair in an office. But when it comes to actually doing it, I suspect it would be a different ball game.
You're not coming back. I'll repeat that. You're not coming back. One way trip. no going home. No escape. When you think about it, is it something you would want to do? Mentally you would have to be so sure of yourself.

I always take astronauts opinions on board because they've been there and done it.

So much would have to be right for it to even get off the ground. I do feel it will happen, but for it to do so you'll have to a massive amount of planning.

Should it be a one way trip? By the time we get to the point of building the transport vehicle, technology could have found a way to bring them back. Technology moves very very quickly.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Bit sad and pathetic really - do you stand by everything you may have said over 20 years ago? If you don't, then that's normal the world changes as does your experience. If you do, well, that's sad.

Neil, Mike and Buzz all agreed "don't take my advice". It was unanimous. They were united in that. There was no question about it.

The biggest space heroes of ALL TIME say "don't take my advice".

Maybe you want to make this personal but that's really not the most productive strategy if your goal was to provide a commentary on history.... most people tend to believe first, ask questions later. Are you one of those people?

The sad and pathetic clown act has got to go. Offer up some sources, commit to them and learn some gosh darn history. What have you got so far, what have you earned in this thread? Looks like nothin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join