It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future concepts - the transformer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
First off sorry if posted already did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Secondly the title of the thread is from the YouTube video so don't pick on me

This popped up on my fbook it's from BAEs YouTube channel. Apparently BAE are looking at working on or already are working on a project where 3 aircraft can fly can connected as one aircraft but upon receiving a mission can split up into 3 separate aircraft. The shapes of the aircraft are interesting, one diamond shaped, for those who are into UFOs and read reports of diamond shaped aircraft could this be a possibility for those sightings.
The shape of the other two aircraft could be from what people have seen over the US recently, triangular in shape with a designed back to it. I'm not an aviation expert I'm posting this just so people can discuss so let's keep it civil. Anyway here the vid, let's see what people think

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Kind of interesting. I don't see much point in it myself. I certainly don't see how it would save time, when 3 aircraft can travel just as far and just as fast as 1 larger aircraft, if not farther and faster. And I would also doubt that it would save on fuel, but others that are much smarter than I am can comment on that.

Also I think to attribute this to recent sightings is a long stretch of the imagination. I think there is plenty of evidence to explain those recent sightings as aircraft totally unrelated to the "Transformer".

After watching how difficult it can be just to refuel an aircraft in the air, I can't imagine how difficult and dangerous it would be separating 2 aircraft from a 3rd. I am pretty sure separation of a drone crashed an SR-71 blackbird during testing.

Also I just broke my personal record for the amount of times using the word "aircraft" in a single post.
edit on 7/7/2014 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

I was about to say that. Its hard enough to get two aircraft in position for air refueling much less in a perfect position and attach itself to another jet. Crazy design though.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's a really good idea IMO

Just recently the USAF was talking about its B-2 replacement having laser weapons and controllable drones to confuse radar defense systems, Miniature Air Launched drones which use radar reflectors to create a bomber-like signatures that divert attention from the actual bomber. The decoys fly on alongside and also may carry radar jammers to further confuse air defenses.

The BAE proposal is very similar to what the USAF wants

edit on 7-7-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
What makes you think this is new technology?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135

I was about to say that. Its hard enough to get two aircraft in position for air refueling much less in a perfect position and attach itself to another jet. Crazy design though.

One word.

Velcro.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I would suspect high current electromagnets could keep then together without issue.
Joining of the different lifting surfaces together might help to boost efficiency of the whole craft as a whole. Sort of like multiple craft, or cars for that matter, drafting each other, mutually decreasing drag on each other.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I truly think we can make just about anything that we can dream about. Also lookout for self healing crafts.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
I would suspect high current electromagnets could keep then together without issue.
Joining of the different lifting surfaces together might help to boost efficiency of the whole craft as a whole. Sort of like multiple craft, or cars for that matter, drafting each other, mutually decreasing drag on each other.

A chevron of geese comes to mind.

I think the biggest problem would be structural integrity of the connection.

It would be like having a pieced together main wing spar.

edit on -05:0003147202014-07-08T09:20:03-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Moderator, please delete.
edit on -05:0012147252014-07-08T09:25:12-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Cheers guys thanks for all your input
for those in the know of aviation I'm sure these concepts arnt anything new. I understand it's a concept and may never see any kind of production (not that I know of) but i really posted it to show what some aviation companies get up to when thinking of new ideas

I did wonder about the whole joining together especially when you watch things dock at the ISS in space there's no room for error. I'd like to ask though regarding the shapes of the aircraft in the video, the diamond shape, is it even possible to make something fly with that shape

Thanks again and sorry if it isn't anything great to talk about

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Absolutely, the diamond plan form could fly.

It's just a vee with a long tail.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I did think this I imaged a from of a b2 but it's rear end made into a diamond end just wasn't sure if the aerodynamics was possible .. Sorry got a simple mind here

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
I did think this I imaged a from of a b2 but it's rear end made into a diamond end just wasn't sure if the aerodynamics was possible .. Sorry got a simple mind here

Google 'Lifting Body Aircraft'.

It's amazing what can be made to create lift.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

With today's super computers running aircraft they can make almost anything fly. The F-117 when originally designed was a diamond, called the hopeless diamond because skunkworks at first didn't know if they could even get it to fly.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If a part turns into a sub another into a plane and another into a boat the concept may be more usable... Place them on a space based platform or part and. Interesting design however like the triangles

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Suppose the two flight computers were linked to one another and were running a program to solve for the aerodynamical control actuators of both craft simultaneously? (That would be a very interesting hardcore PhD thesis!)

Obviously there's no weather up there, but it ain't easy to get a capsule to dock with the ISS either but they do it.
edit on 8-7-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Use magnetic connectors precisely aligned then no need to fit in slits and slots just connect or disconnect...

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Sorry for treading on your thread, I missed it.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

Suppose the two flight computers were linked to one another and were running a program to solve for the aerodynamical control actuators of both craft simultaneously? (That would be a very interesting hardcore PhD thesis!)

Obviously there's no weather up there, but it ain't easy to get a capsule to dock with the ISS either but they do it.

I was one of the first booms to do air refueling envelope tests with the x-45 and eventually the x-47 UCAV's. Its not easy to program a computer to fly in a flight much less to air refuel. They had a real hard time at first closing in from 200 feet away to 50 feet. It kept overcorrecting and undercorrecting itself. They eventually got it worked out with later classified uav's but even with the advanced autopilot the Kc-135 has, even a plane as small as the x-45 distorts the jet stream enough to mitigate a pre-programmed flight course. That's where autonomy comes into play

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join