It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colours and Religious meanings.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Colours( Or Colors in some cases) can have many different meanings. Whether it symbolical with certain figures in cultures to express characteristics/attitudes, or even meant to express feelings in some cases.

A light red could be used to symbolize love, while a dark one could represent rage. While a Light blue could be used to feel cool or calm, while a dark blue could represent sadness in some cases. One could view colour in anyway they wish really, and I do see it being used in religion quite extensively. Hell, a nations pride, and expression usually based on a coloured flag for that matter.

Usually in religious cases, most figures are ether Gold, and Silver, ether meaning divinity, maybe even royalty in some sense, or just status. Especially since Gold and Silver are valuable metals back then, as they are today.

Like Set and Osiris. Osiris is depicted with a green face, and white robes. In some cases, green could represent death, which in Osiris case makes sense, since he is the God of the Underworld in Egypt. Then you look at Set, whom is of a black scheme, which kind of hints some thing secretive, or something missing about the God of Chaos. Maybe this is because he more revered as villain in this case, where as Osiris is more popular.

Then there is Ra, whom is often depicted as Gold or Orange due to the connection the God has with the Sun. And again, Gold is usually a symbol of status, where as Orange is a colour of communication(Btw, this just assumptions due to a website Im looking at). And Sun God are always the popular one, hell just look at the Sun of God these days. Then there is Toth, whom was an adviser and counselor of the Gods, and his main scheme is blue, which could be associated with knowledge and wisdom.

Now when looking at Hebrew myths, two colours do seem to go hand and hand. Red and white. Cherubs, Seraphims are often associated with Red or Gold( which look great together anyways) which again could be a symbol of authority. Then there is Lucifer, whom is of a white scheme, which could represent purity(or purification).

And the two colours do have some revelant meaning in Christianity, however, it has switched in other words. Im not gonna to indepth about, but how Lucifer changed in depiction is a weird. The red devil, with a trident and hooves is said to be an image mocking the devil which slowly took over as time went on.

And here my prove of it.

All the Angels fly on gold wings, while Death ride a pale Horse.( Srry just trying to sound bibically epic. Lmao)

Anyways, I hope the read was somewhat enjoyable since I did this out of boredom.

Here tht website btw.
www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com...
edit on 6-7-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Created out of boredom?
Yawn...

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
For Christians, red can symbolize rage or war. White is the color of righteousness. Silver is often symbolic of the word of God and gold is wisdom.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Why is this in skunk works?' There have been studies done on color and our emotional response to it. As with aromatherapy where scents evoke an emotional response color seems to do the same. I ask why skunk works because I know how some scents can take me right back to a past event including what I felt then. Of all our memories scent seems to hold one of the stronger ties to the events.
Color has been used in advertising to reach certain clientele or customers. Restaurants design their dining rooms to increase appetite and speed up the eating process. You seldom find light blue and white in commercial eateries. Though those colors along with a bit of coral would be ideal to invite you in , nudge your appetite and relax you into enjoying the experience.
LOL color is kind of my thing. So in my opinion this should be moved though where I'm not sure. Grey area maybe. No pun intended.
edit on PMu31u0772737312014-07-06T13:37:16-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
i believe it goes back to primal human concepts. we fear the dark so we create that label. light allows us to see so it is good. im sure a psychologists could articulate this point better.

as far as the satan archetype goes. in christianity, Lucifer was the light bringer.
edit on 6-7-2014 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

Yes, and no. White is often a good thing in the West, but in the Eastern cultures, it can be the color of death.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
oh i had no idea. i guess different cultures express their beliefs different ways. it would make sense to.

edit on 6-7-2014 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Correct. In Wicca the color for love is green but in pop culture it is red. In Wicca the color gold is for wealth but in the US anyway it's green.
Color plays a big role in civilization. Soooo I'll ask again why this is in skunk works.
???????????????????????????????????????????
a reply to: ketsuko

edit on PMu31u0772709312014-07-06T14:09:04-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

In Wicca the color for love is green but in pop culture it is red.

I thought Red represented Lust, not love.

OK, It does represent love, desire, passion and variety of other concepts.

Color is used by marketing by manipulate us into buying their products.

Much info available on how colors effect the psyche.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, and no. White is often a good thing in the West, but in the Eastern cultures, it can be the color of death.

Yep. They both have their meaning s though, and noting the symbolical meaning of Yin-Yang, Black could be Eternal and mysterious like the Heavens themselves. While the Star are so pure, can pierce the mystery, and when star fall, there a really...Bright light when falls from heaven.

Also, Yin-yang have the two dots which some what represents the other contrasting colour, meaning they could be similar, but yet, still different.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Then why are all the Valentine's red? Though love and lust are often closely related it's not always . Lust is however probably the motivating factor behind giving a Valentine. LOL.

Red is also thought to be a power color. Many people will wear some red in an important meeting. Green seems to be a neutralizing color. It takes the heat out of red while raising g blue in importance. It adds sophistication to yellows. reply to: InhaleExhale

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yea, about that. Skunks works seems to be a little more relaxed on certain things then other threads. I could of put in the grey area, but I felt skunk works was rather necessary, since I didn't go to indepth about it. Also, colour can have a wide range of applications.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yes the dots in the yin/yang is a small amount of its opposite within. A complete balance. a reply to: Specimen

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Valentine's also has a large amount of pink, and pink symbolizes love.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So this was your choice not a mods? Ok that's your call. I kind of relate threads in this forum as those that are hard to swallow. Or hard to validate. Or just junk. You know what I mean? I just don't see this as one of those topics. It's also not only one of those new age type topics which can or cannot garner respect depending on the audience. a reply to: Specimen

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yes exactly. That is a cultural connection to color just like pink for girls and blue for boys. Did you know that yellow is one of the most popular colors for kitchens ?It's energizing and mood lifting. Something we want in the person cooking our food hub? ma reply to: ketsuko

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yea, that what it meant. Crap.

Colours can have both positive and negative attributes to it, whether its change of shade more or less. Like green for example, green could be mean growth, maybe greed(envy), nature, or maybe even sickness.

The two most prominent ones these days are Red and Blue, being how they can capture ones eye. And is mainly used in sports, or science demonstration. In polarity, Red positive while blues Negative.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Yea, it heavily depends on the cultural view though. To Hebrews, the Devil could be White, while Gods Red, or Gold, while to a stereotypical christian, the Devils Red while Gods White, or even blue.

Just that, Eastern methodology philosophically embraced Death, while the West was more afraid of it. Usually liveless bodies go pale white, or greenish in some cases. Which is why, Osiris for example is mainly White and Green. like the Fourth Horsemen in the bible. Egyptians heavily believed in Death.

More or less.
edit on 6-7-2014 by Specimen because: Off Topic.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is just the tip of the iceburg. All life equates to what is seen when the light shines on us. I find flags very interesting.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
And so with religion, the early church founders were aware that certain colors envoked certain emotions or thought forms and they used that along with what they knew about psychology and the culture of the people they sought to influence to steer them to their way of thinking.
God is the light. It's opposite is not evil but an absence of light or absence of God.
White is all of the combined colors in the spectrum revealed by a crystal reflecting light while black is the absence of color or no light being reflected. These religious connotations have a discovered basis in science. It could say that to be seen by God we must reflect something to him. Otherwise we're invisible in the darkness.
edit on PMu31u0772750312014-07-06T14:50:58-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM000000310000000772751312014-07-06T14:51:18-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join