It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did "we" become interested in conspiracy theories...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGloom
Wow, about the same thing happened to me. I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school, I never really accepted the religion, but I pretended to as to appease my parents. Then The X-Files came along and I become completely obsessed with conspiracies and the paranormal. I was only 6 at the time and by the time I was 8 I could point out inaccuracies in the show.

Well, that's part of the story of my life, I hope it entertained you.

It sure did.

Mine is almost same story, except variations in the details, I went to a public school, I think the first time I got into conspiracies was when I read about JFK.

Surf

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Cool racus, thats the same reason I like all this conspiracy stuff. And im training to be an engineer!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Great stuff really! Keep it coming.... JFK was a HUGE factor too for me. My mother was like 13?? when it happened and she would tell me how it tore her and the country apart.... great stuff peoples!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I grew up always curious about things I didn't understand, always wanting to know how things really worked. I used to dismantle everything electronic or mechanic I ever owned just to see what was inside to try form some understanding of its function. My father tried to bring me up in his image, as a catholic, and would force me to go to church with him. I enjoyed asking him about God, Jesus, Heaven etc. but the more I questioned it, the more I saw fault with the religion. This was the start of my fascination with everything 'alternative' I think.

I think with the way kids are 'educated' today it is becoming harder and harder for their minds to be able to question things, remember they only get taught what the government wants them to know!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
My interest in conspiracy theories started with the JFK assassination.When an explanation of an event makes no sense logically nor scientifically then why kicks in and away we go.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39
Excellent reason! Father, crystals, energy. Take your father out of the equation for a second... do you think you would still be interested?

Good question. I'm not sure, my childhood revolves around my father. So if he were not there...I honestly don't know where I would be. I would like to think that I would still be interested but maybe not to the extent that I currently am.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
To answer the question - I was never sure that this what they tell me is really the truth. Comes to basic definition I suppose
I think I was always wondering how people perceive our world -I didn't ( and don't ) believe we share common view, at least not POPULAR common view

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Why? Many reasons.

I had experiences that sparked interest in the paranormal.

I am an abstract thinker.

I looked around and observed my world, and saw that something was seriously wrong.

I never had any faith in my govornment or any govornment, and was proven right.

I have seen overwhelming evidence for many conspiracies.

I have witnessed links of conspiracies first hand.

These are a few reasons. I have many more.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
i first became a conspiracy theorist when i was accidently directed to a cult website involving lizard aliens when i was searching for matrix wallpapers/backgrounds for my computer while I was in a navy A school. from then on i had nothing better to do with my time, being in the navy and all.

before that i was just a carefree hardcore gamer (and still am). now im getting new life out of some of my older game titles.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well I've always had an overbiding urge to know 'secret things'. Its one of the reasons I used to work as an escape artist for many years. Why I started to learn about all sides of anything computer related [hardware and software and programmming]. it's also why I love conspiracies, because there's just the chance that at least SOME of it may be true.
What really got me interested was a combination of finding out about the vatican vaults at an early age and reading about the likes of the JFK assasination.
I've been told I don't just think outside the box...but also outside the room the box is in! PMSL. I hate it that most people are 'sheep' and believe whatever they are told by the people in charge. [it's not in their interests to tell anybody anything that will actualy make them think for themselves.]

Thats the reason people like us are seen as odd balls and strange. Because we refuse to conform! No one can accuse me of being thick. My IQ was tested many times since an early age and iwhile t's not something I am ashamed of I also recognise how unreliable IQ tests are.
The only person you can trust is yourself. The only truth is 'your own' truth.

Wayne...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I never liked being lied to. If something doesnt seem quite right, i like to investigate it and find out the real truth. There's always been conspiracies of some nature, but since 2000 they've been off and running with the "non-truths", some so obvious only a child of 3 would believe.

Its an insult to the intelligence of those who can put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I also grew up christian/catholic. I remember asking my grandma many questions when I was in grade school, about god and jesus,ect. All she could tell me was she didn't know, and she didn't question it, she just knew what she was tought. I didn't bye it. You "have to" question things.

I've always believed in ufo's, aliens, ect. but it wasn't until I was between forteen and sixteen that I really dove in to the search for the trueth. I remember at sixteen I was going back to the catholic belief,after falling away and not ever fully believing it. but because I thought it was the oldest religion to man. then it struck me, the more I read in the bible and the past of the religion, things didn't seem right . to much control, fear, and murders all in the name of religion. then relizing there were older ancient beliefs. (sorry alittle off subject)

So I guess It started with the search for the right religion. And now it's just a search for many trueths/cover-ups of things some humans really do know.

I don't know about you guys but there has been somthing inside of me that says things don't feel right, there's a bigger picture to be seen. So here I am at 20 years old looking up conspiracy's. I geuss the biggest motive is curiousity.

Psycological view on it: Maybe we just want to be part of somthing big, not to be left in the dark...... ( I don't know just a thought)

concerning why others don't care , and laugh at us... Probly brain washed by gov. or the church has them so tight and they don't question it... It's hard to tell why they are close-minded

good luck on all your journey's for trueth!

[edit on 12/4/04 by trezpiterian]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join