It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Colorado Mary Jane Facade

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

What about the Alcohol model after prohibition? What about the tobacco model? If the entire nation has access to it legally, they will pay for it legally. Most people don't want to break the law. If they outlawed tobacco and alcohol, people would buy it from the black market illegally as a result. If it can be bought legally, most people will buy it legally. You are assuming the worst in people, which just isn't the reality.
edit on 4-7-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I am not saying that it won't be like that in the future. I do believe it will be. But cannabis in colorado is a highly regulated/taxed industry.

I'm sorry but if I can give a guy $10 for something they are charging $20 for at the store... The issue of legality is not an issue.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

It's not regulated as high as people are making it out to be. If it was so bad, then Colorado wouldn't be issuing tax refunds based on the overflow of success the market/state has gained so far in taxes. Besides that, the Medical MJ market is still much cheaper which is another option for people wanting cheaper MJ. As I explained a few posts back, most who still can't afford medical MJ, just get it from someone who does get medical MJ. The black market is virtually done here.
edit on 5-7-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

I am not saying that it won't be like that in the future. I do believe it will be. But cannabis in colorado is a highly regulated/taxed industry.

I'm sorry but if I can give a guy $10 for something they are charging $20 for at the store... The issue of legality is not an issue.

Yes, but obviously there are many people who don't mind paying more simply to avoid doing something Illegal. Convenience is what people will pay for. They pay a little more for someone to Mow the Lawn so they don't have to. They pay a little more for someone to cook so they don't have to. It's the basis of all service oriented jobs.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
PoP PoP PoP!

Seems Okay for me! Best to keep them all in one Spot! Colo might be bring in the Cash Flow although I Would Like to see the Reports from the Hospitals since it started concerning work related Boo Boo's!

Crap! How does Colo hope to get anything done while The Hood is all Baked? Good thing though, Now the Homeless can have jobs!

PoP PoP .......................pop! Happy 4Th! Here in the middle of NW KS. Town of 140 It is Still Going! Raining so People missed the 12PM mark. Yet so far Longest Show Ever! PoP!

Friend Popped by from CO today; came to a couch mode later. Thanks Colorado!

Peace
edit on 087f201438America/ChicagoAmerica/ChicagokAmerica/ChicagoSat, 05 Jul 2014 00:08:38 -0500 by infoseeker26754 because: I Do Not Know!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Who gets tax refunds?

Bet it's not the consumer. Last I checked I can't write off recreational weed for my tax refund.

I guarantee you can't say you wouldn't be pissed off about a twenty percent increase on your grocery bill.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: infoseeker26754

I Would Like to see the Reports from the Hospitals since it started concerning work related Boo Boo's!

Yes, I would like to see that too, since it's virtually nill. Aside from the few reports by the media trying to still hang on to the old horrible myths of MJ, like "my kid got a hold of a brownie"!

Get over it. If you want to check hospital records, check those which are alcohol/tobacco related (and I do both of those, not MJ). The people voted, and they won. Time to move on.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Totally, have you ever heard of a 'niche market'?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

20% sales tax increase on grocery bills? Wow, there is some serious mis-info going on. Where do you get that from? Taxpayers have had to pay nothing for legalizing MJ. Colorado sales tax is still 2.9%, that hasn't changed and legal MJ has given SURPLUS tax revenue. The state did not anticipate the overflow of money that has been made from it. State tax has always been around 10% since I've lived here, and that hasn't changed either so I dunno what you're on about.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Sure, that's one way of looking at it. That market will grow too as the economy there locally gets better. As people have a little more to spend more and more will start paying a bit more for the convenience of being able to go to a store and shop for the Bud they want to get. They can do it legally and without risk and experience the whole culture of it.

Whereas, in your example where you'd just go to the other guy because he's cheaper, that kind of mindset will slowly die off. I too, being of the lower income level, would also probably choose the cheaper way as well most of the time. But would still possibly pay a bit more when I could if I had it available.

The Tax rate seems a bit high at 30%, but you figure it's 15% less for Medical, so it's not too bad I suppose. I mean compare it with the Tax on tobacco now!! Now that's a F**king tax increase right there!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I was making an analogy between paying 20% more for an average expense vs. paying more for marijuana.

I apologize for not clarifying that?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I used to look at "hip-hop/rap" as a "niche" in the 80's. I thought it was just a fad and swore it would go away, but it stayed, and it's not going anywhere. I later learned that it was an entire culture, not just music. MJ isn't a niche, and it's not something just "hippies" do anymore. It's not going anywhere and it's right up there with alcohol and tobacco when it comes to personal vices, just not as addictive. It's time people realize this.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Sure, that's one way of looking at it. That market will grow too as the economy there locally gets better. As people have a little more to spend more and more will start paying a bit more for the convenience of being able to go to a store and shop for the Bud they want to get. They can do it legally and without risk and experience the whole culture of it.

Whereas, in your example where you'd just go to the other guy because he's cheaper, that kind of mindset will slowly die off. I too, being of the lower income level, would also probably choose the cheaper way as well most of the time. But would still possibly pay a bit more when I could if I had it available.

The Tax rate seems a bit high at 30%, but you figure it's 15% less for Medical, so it's not too bad I suppose. I mean compare it with the Tax on tobacco now!! Now that's a F**king tax increase right there!!!

Haha, a tax increased willingly by the populous, all in the name of freedom. Why?

Because the general public is willing to get on their hands and knees to finally get something they want.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I was making an analogy between paying 20% more for an average expense vs. paying more for marijuana.

I apologize for not clarifying that?

Fair enough, but as stated, recreational MJ is not the only legal option for Coloradans. There is medical, and those who buy from those who get medical on a monthly basis. The point is, the black market is not needed here anymore, even for the very poor.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Exactly. The Niche part I mean is just the people at the start of legal sales who opt to pay more vs. those who still choose to save a little money and buy from the black market. But like you're saying, that will grow as time goes on and soon it will be just like anything else. Like going to the liquor store to buy smokes or booze.

The Niche Market label wasn't exactly what I would have called it, but I see what rockintitz is trying to say, I think.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Like any situation, the overly cautious people will pay a little extra, in this case an extra 20%, in order to avoid legal complications whereas there are still going to be plenty of people who maintain their old connections and use them to avoid over paying for it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Hip hop/rap is a niche. A segment of the music industry.

Marijuana is not a niche, it is the industry. However, there are many different segments of the marijuana industry.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Haha, a tax increased willingly by the populous, all in the name of freedom. Why?

Because the general public is willing to get on their hands and knees to finally get something they want.

You make it sound like they're all crack heads that will do anything to get their fix. I don't see it like that at all. I see people willing pay a little extra for a product that was a hassle to get before but is easy to get now. That extra also helps the economy, ensures product quality, etc.

It's really a win win for everyone in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I'll buy that, good point. I just hate taxes.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Hip hop/rap is a niche. A segment of the music industry.

It's not, it's a direct result of the CIA involvement in distributing drugs to poor black neighborhoods in the 50's which resulted in the gang wars in L.A. (crypts and bloods), which then spread like wildfire throughout the U.S. Later, "hiphop" became something based on a large community of people who lived in this new culture, spawned by the CIA. It's not just a music genre or "niche", it's an entire culture.

Anyway, that's a different thread. At least we agree that MJ isn't a "niche".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join