It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Arthur poised to be a category two making landfall.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: magnum1188

I'm in Florida and was looking forward to a nice Tropical Storm. I love them. Oh well. We didn't get anything but clouds and a spit rain. I have been in my fair share of hurricanes and tropical storms.

For those in Arthur's path be safe!!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

I live in Va. and have been watching this thing move up the coast for days, so I am not sure it "just popped up". We have been getting the outer bands of this on and off about all day. The wind has picked up, the lights are flickering, and we are ready for it.

I wish my neighbors to the south of me good luck as it will be hitting you all much harder than it is us at the moment. Stay safe and do what you gotta do. I'll have my fingers crossed for a safe outcome for life, limb, and your homes.

Your lights are flickering up there? Jeez, the wind is hardly blowing here yet (at least for an incoming hurricane kind of wind). It's been cloudy for a long time though, no rain yet, not the slightest flicker with lights though and we're usually the first out and the last back on where I live.

We've had a few pretty strong thunderstorms spawned off of it that have the lights flickering. Not just wind. It's picked up, but the storms that are coming with it are what will put us in the dark.

It must have thrown that thunderstorm right past us then, I haven't heard any thunder and like I said it hasn't started raining yet. Watching the radar, it's coming. Soon.

It must have...

Check out this link: www.accuweather.com...

That huge line of thunderstorms? It's been moving along all day right over my house.

edit on 7/3/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Must be HAARP.
C'mon! Conspiracy jokes. No? Ok...

I'm barely northeast of where the darkest red area is on the outer edge of the hurricane. I don't like the looks of that...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

I'm in Florida and was looking forward to a nice Tropical Storm. I love them. Oh well. We didn't get anything but clouds and a spit rain. I have been in my fair share of hurricanes and tropical storms.

Yeah, our rains have been lessened here around Tampa, but we're still getting them in the evenings. The daytime though, holy god has it been HOT. Thanks for sucking up the afternoon cloud cover, Arthur :/ Mother Nature owes us a weak soaker TS after this.

How are our ATSers up there holding up? I've been eyeballing the radar, the eye is sooo close to Morehead City. I don't see how it could miss it at this point, Arthur looks like it has it's landfall point chosen.

Quick edit: Artie's a Category 2 now, I notice. Yikes. Stay safe up there you guys

10:00 PM EDT Thu Jul 3
Moving: NNE at 15 mph
Min pressure: 976 mb
Max sustained: 100 mph

www.nhc.noaa.gov...
edit on 7/3/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Yeah, our rains have been lessened here around Tampa, but we're still getting them in the evenings. The daytime though, holy god has it been HOT. Thanks for sucking up the afternoon cloud cover, Arthur :/ Mother Nature owes us a weak soaker TS after this.

Yup still getting them in the afternoon/evening here too. I love it! It rained from about 4pm til after 8. I enjoyed it esp the thunder! Yes the daytime is ungodly. It is so miserable to even go outside to get the mail! The humidity is just gross. I always want to shower after being out there for any length of time. lol

HA yes she does owe us! All that teasing, not fair! The northern parts at least get snow don't take my tropical storms! I may not like FL at all but I do love the storm season here.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

How are our ATSers up there holding up? I've been eyeballing the radar, the eye is sooo close to Morehead City. I don't see how it could miss it at this point, Arthur looks like it has it's landfall point chosen.

It's been hot as hades and just as humid to boot around here as well. The rain we've gotten off of this is the first good rain I've seen in almost 2 weeks of blazing heat.

Thanks to the hurricane, it dropped a good 30 degrees here today through the evening. It's been over a 100 for days and I think this evening is the first break my heat pump has had in about the same amount of time as we've seen rain.

Hopefully you guys will get a break soon.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yesterday evening, last night, and all day today were the worst. It's been hot and humid for about a month now, but the past couple of days are some of the hottest I've ever felt. My shirt stayed soaking wet all day from sweat. I'm ready for some rain and wind (nothing too bad), still pretty calm right now though, no rain yet.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
If this storm is named Arthur, doesn't that make it a Himacane?

Nah, for some reason they started naming tropical storms. I think The Weather Channel is behind that: for extra hype purposes.

When they use names like "Tropical depression Gary", I can't help but thinking of some depressed drunk tourist in a tie-dyed Hawaii T-shirt slumped at a beach bar and who keeps trying to telling everyone how he lost each of his ex-girlfriends

edit on 3-7-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Yesterday evening, last night, and all day today were the worst. It's been hot and humid for about a month now, but the past couple of days are some of the hottest I've ever felt. My shirt stayed soaking wet all day from sweat. I'm ready for some rain and wind (nothing too bad), still pretty calm right now though, no rain yet.

We might not be sharing the same thunderstorms coming in off of this... But it sure sounds like we have been sharing the weather lately.

My mom and I have been driving to NC every other day to see my dad in the rehab hospital down there and the trip down and back Wednesday was horrid to say the least. Even the air conditioner in the car felt warm. My heat pump can't even keep up. It sits on 70 and the last few days we have reached 76 INSIDE with the heat pump running as hard as it could.

Hotter than blazes would probably be an understatement. Add in the humidity and it's enough to make you physically I'll if you are out in it for any amount of time.
edit on 7/3/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

We might not be sharing the same thunderstorms coming in off of this... But it sure sounds like we have been sharing the weather lately.

My mom and I have been driving to NC every other day to see my dad in the rehab hospital down there and the trip down and back Wednesday was horrid to say the least. Even the air conditioner in the car felt warm. My heat pump can't even keep up. It sits on 70 and the last few days we have reached 76 INSIDE with the heat pump running as hard as it could.

Hotter than blazes would probably be an understatement. Add in the humidity and it's enough to make you physically I'll if you are out in it for any amount of time.

I work in a body shop with no AC. Just open to the heat all summer long... you get used to it I guess. I'm fine until it reaches about 100, give or take a few degrees, then I'm ready to quit.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
If this storm is named Arthur, doesn't that make it a Himacane?

Nah, for some reason they started naming tropical storms. I think The Weather Channel is behind that: for extra hype purposes.

I missed this earlier. The TWC had nothing to do with it, the NHC started naming storms in 1953. I just wanted to make that clear before someone is swept up in misinformation.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Wow, I'd do anything for 76 degrees inside! We're lucky if, with the A/C running 24/7 lately, it ever gets below 82 inside. The high today was 93, it was hovering at 85 inside all afternoon, and we do have partial shade on the roof. I about cried

Watching TWC's coverage, I have a feeling Morehead City's going to be a mess come sun up. Hopefully landfall knocks the wind out of Arthur's sails so the barrier islands to the north can catch a break.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Looks like landfall has been had at Cape Lookout, NC with 100MPH winds.

A more local source here.

Hurricane Arthur Update Statement

...CENTER OF ARTHUR MAKES LANDFALL...

THE CENTER OF ARTHUR MADE LANDFALL AT ABOUT 1115 PM EDT...0315
UTC...OVER THE SHACKLEFORD BANKS BETWEEN CAPE LOOKOUT AND BEAUFORT
NORTH CAROLINA. THE NOAA AUTOMATED STATION AT CAPE LOOKOUT RECENTLY
REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 77 MPH...124 KM/H...AND A WIND GUST OF
101 MPH...163 KM/H.

SUMMARY OF 1130 PM EDT...0330 UTC...INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.7N 76.6W
ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM NW OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM WSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 35 DEGREES AT 18 MPH...30 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...976 MB...28.82 INCHES

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
lots of thunder and lightning here in Fairfield CT one clap of thunder was like a building getting hit by a cruse missile

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I've been watching this guy's storm chaser stream on Hatteras. While I appreciate the up close & personal front row seat, the fool needs to get somewhere safe, not park next to dunes with the Atlantic currently eating them for a snack.

Any updates from anyone up in the path, assuming there's still power?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I thought it was just me, our heat pump doesn't quite seems to keep up either. My sweetheart has a broken thermostat she is always hot and keeps the setting at 68, the lowest we could get it yesterday was 74. It's 12:30 no rain yet but I always stay up to keep an eye out on the trees. We have a bunch. They are beautiful, for an ex california boy this place is gorgeous.

Stay safe out there.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I thought it was just me, our heat pump doesn't quite seems to keep up either. My sweetheart has a broken thermostat she is always hot and keeps the setting at 68, the lowest we could get it yesterday was 74. It's 12:30 no rain yet but I always stay up to keep an eye out on the trees. We have a bunch. They are beautiful, for an ex california boy this place is gorgeous.

Stay safe out there.

I had no idea you were in the neighborhood! It is nice to know neither of us are alone with the heat pump not keeping up. My husband has become OCD about wondering whether it is running right, if it has enough gas, etc. Everyday he has to ask me "How hot did it get in here?". So I can now let him know that we aren't the only ones.

We do have very beautiful trees and mountains. There's not a lot more to offer than that around here (at least in my case). I truly don't think I would live anywhere else though.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

Stay safe out there.

I had no idea you were in the neighborhood! It is nice to know neither of us are alone with the heat pump not keeping up. My husband has become OCD about wondering whether it is running right, if it has enough gas, etc. Everyday he has to ask me "How hot did it get in here?". So I can now let him know that we aren't the only ones.

We do have very beautiful trees and mountains. There's not a lot more to offer than that around here (at least in my case). I truly don't think I would live anywhere else though.

I put on roughly a 1000 to 1500 miles a week in Los Angeles, where the only thing to see was concrete, housing, and commercial buildings. This place is a blessing, and when you go somewhere and they ask how you are, they really mean it. They want to know. I love this place.

My mom and brother keep asking when I am coming back for a visit, I tell them I will pay for there plane ticket when they are ready to come see me. Just say when you can make it, and it will cost nothing. I don't want to go back, the thought seriously makes me ill. I have business people, family, friends, etc. I probably will never see again.

The only problem I have with Virginia is, she didn't call me when I was younger. I had to wait for the right woman to get me out here.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Beaufort NC is such a quaint little town...hope it fares well.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: magnum1188
Can this be moved to the breaking news section, I was not able to post this there, but I feel its relevant breaking news for the users in the northeast USA.

I am surprised this has not been posted about earlier. This hurricane has kind of sprouted up from nowhere. Now I have not been around that long, but in my memory I don't remember seeing a hurricane sprout to that strength in this area, this early in hurricane season.

I keep seeing that it is moving further and further to the west, which would bring it right on top of me.

If there are any folks on here who are meteorological inclined, let me know this thing is going to blow off eastward.

CNN

Wundermap

I remember seeing the looping satellite images of when this was first forming off the coast of Florida. I found it odd that the cloud tops looked as if they were "boiling". My observation. It just sprang out of nowhere and started spiraling.
Can anyone supply any atmospheric data when this storm was first being brewed? Barometric pressure, ocean temp, humdity, etc. I haven't seen anything form so quickly since Katrina formed.
edit on KFri, 04 Jul 2014 00:22:40 -0500am3120144040 by Kratos40 because: spelling

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join