It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to pay a dog walker??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Ok there is a girl in my complex who has offered to walk Rosco. I don't mind because it makes it easier on me in the evenings with my little one. Rosco loves her so I don't have to worry about that....well Rosco pretty much loves everyone.

She put up fliers telling people she will walk dogs and do animal sitting. Now I told her she can walk him 5 days a week in the evening/late afternoon. I gave her $6 yesterday for the two days, it was all the cash I had on me. I have no idea what to give her. Is $10 bucks a week for 5 walks good for a 10 yr old? She walks him for maybe 5mins, 10mins max if that.

She is a sweet girl and she is saving her money from walking dogs here, smart kid. I also want to use her to watch Rosco and our cat so I can visit my grandparents and it would be for a day and a half and have no idea what to pay her. I know what we charged for boarding at the shop I worked at and I thought we were cheap. Is $30 a good price?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

5 or 10 min. isn't enough exercise for a dog! It should be 30min. at least and giver her 10 bucks.
That's what I give my neighbor kid. for 2 dogs.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

5 or 10 min. isn't enough exercise for a dog! It should be 30min. at least and giver her 10 bucks.
That's what I give my neighbor kid. for 2 dogs.

If Rosco was a normal dog then 30mins would be fine but he can't handle the heat and his allergies to the outside don't help. He is fine with 10mins, he does his business and heads back to the apt.

He use to not go outside for the longest time due to his allergies but we have been getting cortisone shots for him and they work like a charm but I still have to be careful with the grass and other irritants. He does go on the porch a lot but for short periods of time. The heat and humidity dont' suit him well.

Ok that sounds good. Yea I didnt know what to give her. I mean I walk him in the morning for about 15mins with my son, who of course has to hold the leash. I do not take him out during the heat of the mid afternoon, he gets lethargic and wants to sit and not move. So twice a day is good for him and we use pee pee pads in the spare bathroom for him.

Thank you

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

10 bucks sounds fair to me.

It's about 10.20 an hour you're paying her.

Also 30 bucks a day to house sit a pet sounds fair to me. Keep in mind though, if she is going to be walking them also you might want to add extra.

If she's doing same work then pay her what you would pay an adult. That's the way I see it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Start with minimum wage and tip from there...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
im sure the young girl will be happy with anything, pay what you wish, the fact she is going out and earning honest money from a young age will be a priceless lesson for her for life. the priceless lesson being going out and earning, not sponging.
Good kid,

edit on 3-7-2014 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

My wee Granny's Dog walker gets £12 a day, six days a week for walking her wee Terrier for an hour or so.

Get yourself a few customers and there's big bucks to be made if anybody's inclined to do so!

Cant fault the lady all the same she helps immensely so!

edit on 3-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I went straight to a similar source, my own daughter, to find out what she thought was fair. Initially, the greedy gut threw out $25 a week but then scaled it back considering the amount of time per day and that it was close by. As she observed, it wouldn't take that much time from my day at all. When I told her "how about $10?", she said that was fine and when asked and I informed her that it was for a 10 year old, she said it was good based on our "rule of allowances" here. $1 for every year a week, 10 years old = $10 a week.

So, my mini-me thinks anywhere between $10-20 is good. If the girl does a good job and remembers to do it regularly, you could dangle a raise after the first month as a reward for a job well done.

PS. I used to do training and walks for my mother's dogs during summer breaks. She paid me $15 a day but was considering gasoline expense and that was for about 30-45 minutes a day walking and behavior training, which is similar to what the other poster's granny paid hers. Kids don't need that much money and probably shouldn't have that much, lol.
edit on 3/7/14 by WhiteAlice because: added ps

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
tip her at Easter and other holidays you guys have out there too,

the karma will be on your side which is always good.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

When I do have her pet sit for the two of them I will just have her come over and walk Rosco a few times and feed both him and Buffy, the cat. The cat is easy she basically lives on the porch. Rosco likes to have company so he would love having someone play with him.

When I worked at a grooming shop and we did boarding we charged $25/day and we went up there three times a day to walk them and that was it. Most places around here charge at least $30+.

I have no problem giving her money to do either and I would never expect her to do it for free even though she offered to walk him, I didn't ask her to. It helps me out in a way with my little one. Walking Rosco at night gets a bit tricky because my son gets fussy and ready for bed and it becomes a little comical outside lol

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Cool cat name by the way and yeah all prices sound fair to me.

I just always get annoyed when people low ball youngsters if they are doing the same work. I understand they're young but it's not just the lesson of working hard that's important but also of what to charge and how much particular services are worth. Also you might explain to her so she can learn. It's a good lesson to know how to call around and check competitors prices then offer about 5 less when you start out. That's what I would do.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

I went straight to a similar source, my own daughter, to find out what she thought was fair. Initially, the greedy gut threw out $25 a week but then scaled it back considering the amount of time per day and that it was close by. As she observed, it wouldn't take that much time from my day at all. When I told her "how about $10?", she said that was fine and when asked and I informed her that it was for a 10 year old, she said it was good based on our "rule of allowances" here. $1 for every year a week, 10 years old = $10 a week.

I like your "rules of allowances," great idea!! Yea the girl lives two buildings over and walks a few other dogs in the complex as well. She is a sweet girl and I think it's great she is going out there earning money for herself and giving herself some responsibility.

So, my mini-me thinks anywhere between $10-20 is good. If the girl does a good job and remembers to do it regularly, you could dangle a raise after the first month as a reward for a job well done.

Yea I was thinking $10-15 since it's only once a day 5 x's a week but I always like to pay extra just because I have worked for tips before and this is kind of like a tip service in a way. She will definitely get a "bonus" at Christmas

PS. I used to do training and walks for my mother's dogs during summer breaks. She paid me $15 a day but was considering gasoline expense and that was for about 30-45 minutes a day walking and behavior training, which is similar to what the other poster's granny paid hers. Kids don't need that much money and probably shouldn't have that much, lol.
HA! Yea she only walks him for 10mins max because he'd probably die after an hour. I use to walk him around the complex but as it got hotter he just couldn't do it. He would just stop and start panting and not walk. He so doesn't belong in the Florida climate lol

Thanks for the advice and reply!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology
Exactly 10 bucks for 30 minutes is absolutely fair.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I flinch when I see children walking dogs, unsupervised. I assume Rosco is small and placid, and no trouble. Even so, this doesn't stop someone else's dog having a go at Rosco, and a ten year old is unlikely to have the skills to deal with such a situation.

Dogs aren't that far removed from their wolf ancestors, when it comes to instinctive behaviour. I have had to pull other people's dogs off mine, when they've decided to have a go at my dogs who were on their leads at the time... Always risky, but rather that than large veterinary bills. Still got four fingers and a thumb on both hands !

And then have to put up with a stupid owner, who claims his / her dog has never attacked another dog before !

There are a lot of people out there who don't understand dog behaviour, or, like where I live, just don't care. Fortunately, if my dogs are on their leads, and the attacking dog isn't, then I am in the right morally and legally...

P.s.my Cocker Spaniel and Golden Retriever get a minimum three hours ( Combined.) per day. Though I realise it depends on the age and breed of the dog, and climate...
Good on the child for wanting to work, though..

Just out of interest, do you have to clean up after your dogs in America, as we in the
U.K. have to, legally... Or does it vary by state ?

edit on 4-7-2014 by MrJohnSmith because: (no reason given)

top topics

join