It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'n' word

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Now I know this is a very sore subject in the America and England, but serious debate needs to take place.
What does the 'n' word mean? Who can use? In what context can it be used? Should we stop saying it?
So I am a mixed race male living in a majority white area in England, I use the word few of my white friends use it in a joking 'friendly' manner but what I want to know is do you use the word? In what context? Your ethnicity and your opinion the grounds of which the word can be used.

I posted this thread on Hypebeast and it was deleted immediately yet most members of all ethnicities use it on the site

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Its not just a WORD!! Its the almost the foundation, the very symbol of the hypocrite politically correct society we live in!

Show some respect for the "n-word"!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeChakra
do you use the word?

No. I simply have no use for the word. In some contexts, it's used as an insult and in others, it's a term of endearment. I have no need for the word. I might jokingly call a friend a 'bitch' or 'ass' but the n-word isn't in my vocabulary.

Your ethnicity and your opinion the grounds of which the word can be used.

I'm basically Caucasian. And I don't care who uses the word. It's not for me to say. I will most likely have judgments about the use of the word, but people are free to speak as they please. Keep in mind, there may be repercussions.

I don't understand some people's obsession with the use of the word. I don't understand the position of "Well, he's saying it, so why can't I"? I think it's childish. But if you wish to use it, go for it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You're right it is JUST a word but if you look at the social and historical context people have lost jobs, careers and dreams smashed to never be seen again all because they use this word, yet others use it and do not have their reputation tarnished but the opposite and earn money for it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
My friend's wife got sick of being called a nagger, there were indeed repercussions...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeChakra

Its one of the most ignorant words out there.
I don't care if its with an ER or an A.

Black people argue "we just took the word back"
Its still just as dumb and you just took an ignorant word and keep perpetuating the BS.
Hearing ghetto kids say it every second word makes me want to fear the future of society and it makes me cringe hearing the ignorant ways the word is used.

Its dumb...that is about all it is and there is no excuse to use it in any way,shape or form.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Ok I have used it. I will put my hands up.

I have just it to describe gang bangers and the dredges of the black community.

Though to be fair my very educated middle class black friend (yes I know the black friend cliche) was the one that got me using it to describe them.
edit on 3-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I do partially agree with you but you are generalising slightly, but then again I dont live in America so I never see 'ghetto' kids however I'm sure not ALL blacks use it
a reply to: DrumsRfun

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
One mans opinion…

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Fair point I can agree with something like using 'nigga' as a gangabnging black person or a 'paki' would be an irritating person of pakistani heritage etc
a reply to: crazyewok

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I dont care what context a person claims the word is used in ... I think it's crass and unnecessary. I know there are entertainers and city-folk who use it as slang with each other and they think it's okay to do so ... but I still think it's unnecessary in those instances as well. No class.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have used it.. only after establishing a strong friendship with my black friends(known them 10+yrs).. tho my usage are always is subtle... like "Ni**a that driver is crazy" not hard abrasive way.

I think its easier to use in england than America. I coudl be wrong.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

another mans.

he's from Compton. kinda ground zero for the modern use of the word
edit on 3-7-2014 by mindseye1609 because: for because

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Being Italian, my grandparents were subjected to demeaning slurs such as "wop, grease ball, goombah and dago." In fact, my aunt had to alter our last name so it didn't sound like it was Italian so businesses wouldn't discriminate against them when they applied for a job! They were discriminated against just like many other immigrants who came to this country. Over the years, many immigrants had to prove their "worth" working hard, and learning the English language. Eventually these slurs faded away. Most Italians don't use these words to describe themselves or other Italians. (However, I'm sure some still use it jokingly among friends).

As far as the "N" word is concerned, I think it's a shame that it's used jokingly among the black community. The word has a connotation that African Americans are dogs. They're not equal to the white race. The "N" word is not only a slur, but it's an insult to the entire African American race. It certainly doesn't help the perspective of African American culture when some of their own people describe themselves using the "N" word. It only makes it harder to earn respect when you don't respect yourself.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
a reply to: intrptr

another mans.

he's from Compton. kinda ground zero for the modern use of the word

Wow, just BOOM! dropping a bomb on m####r f####rs

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

N word? You mean "normal"? That's my n word. Speaketh the n word in my presence and incur my wrath, ye mundane creatures of mediocrity!

edit on 3-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
serious question to the word police. how come hispanics can use it?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84
serious question to the word police. how come hispanics can use it?

I seen mixed hispanics use it... but if normal hispanics are using it, im sure the effect wont be too much as compared to a caucasian using it.

The whole master/slave issue. While both Hispanics and Blacks are "Minority".

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Very touchy subject. Well, I don't use the N-word because of what I have heard it means:

Nigger comes from the word Negro which comes from the word Necro which means "death" in Greek. I suppose Blacks were considered as dead by their original capturers because their culture was misunderstood. Blacks aren't dead people, they're just people.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream
pretty sure fat joe isnt mixed

top topics

<<   2 >>

join