It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq's Kurds call for independence referendum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

The president of the Kurdish region of northern Iraq has asked his parliament to prepare for a referendum on independence, paving the way for the break-up of the country.

Massoud Barzani, president of the Kurdistan Regional Government, called on parliament on Thursday to form an independent electoral commission that would start organising a referendum on independence for the autonomous region.

"It will strengthen our position and will be a powerful weapon in our hands," the Kurdish leader said.

Iraq's Kurds call for independence referendum

Well, here paves the way for the partition of Iraq.

In all honesty, i support the Kurds in this move. Their independence is a long time coming, and they seem to be the only force capable of combating ISIS and other militants in the Iraqi region of the Middle-East.

Unfortunately, it will most likely plunge the existing Iraq into deeper trouble, but Iraq is only heading towards destruction anyway. It will not be able to reclaim its Western and Northern areas without support, and ISIS seems to have stopped in their tracks southwards (although they continue to surround Baghdad on three sides).

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Poor Turkey, soon they will be next

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Isnt that part of the "plan"?

Reshaping the Middle East.

See, its great when nations in the ME are ok with being carved up so long as it serves America's (and lets be honest, Israel's) "interests".

Crimea declaring independence, not so much...

Why Israel is in love with Kurdistan.

Is a free Kurdistan, and a new Israeli ally, upon us?

edit on 3-7-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hardly a surprise, that's a for sure......At least the Peshmerga seem to be able to stabilise their territory for now.....

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I agree with them having some version of their own autonomy and I don't think Baghdad will stop them but you got to wonder what Turkey is going to say about this .Unless the plan is to dissolve all the Nation states in that region ,which I think it is .Who is next ,Armenia ? a reply to: daaskapital

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm glad for the Kurds.They should have their own territory where they have safety.
edit on CDTThuam41161 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I remember looking at a map of Iraq and seeing Kurdistan on it and wondering why it was not a separate country. As time went on I learned how the British empire and a lot of other powerful countries decided on manmy borders for countries in Africa and the Middle East etc. Someone also told me that Kurdistan never had a chance of existing independently because of the oil deposits on it.

There are a number of countries wanting to be separated from the huge groups they have been am algamated into regardless of the people's tribal culture etc. Its interesting at this current time because I have read here that several American States have wanted independence from Washington and I know Scotland is going to try to leave the UK - although they wish to retain queenie - pity they don't claim her and keep her and her huge brood - and I sujspect there are a few countries tied into the EU that would like their independence back.

I suspect it will be stopped simply because big blocks are easier to corrupt when there is only one governing body to infiltrate. Decent sized amalgamations can always be pushed into warfare on some spurious false flag effort by the elite or dubious reporting by the media or tv so they can make more money selling arms to both sides without leaving the safety of their disgusting desks.

The only war I am interesting in is the one that will inevitably come caused by the uprising of the people against the corrupt dispicable people that run countries and their puppet politicians.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I highly doubt it. Not impossible though. I can't think of any nation with a U.S./NATO base ever being invaded.

Add in Turkey is probably the main reason Iraq wasn't partitioned/divided up between #e, Sunni and Kurd regions, rightly, in the first place. To wit, Turkey was afraid the Kurds section would then go after the Kurdish region in Turkey. ( The "turkey's in Britain really messed this region up.)

Granting Kurdish independence 'might' work if the U.S. matched it's base in Turkey with a base in the Kurd region. That might stop the Kurds and Turks from tangling with each other. ( Of course, the anti-U.S. crowd would crap bricks in that scenario. LMAO.

new topics

top topics

join