It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cannabis linked to mental illness risk

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I'm beginning to believe that you have had experience, yourself or someone close, that have had experience with this because all or nothing is one of the rules of addiction. Which is what you seem to be displaying. No insult, just what I've learned.

I speak mainly from direct personal experience, yes...so I'll give you a handclap for your perceptions.

So maybe that's my angst, seeing it from the inside/out and nothing good coming from it but manipulation, usery, enslavement, spiritual stagnation and degradation. Pandora's Soma box is open....the brave new world comes.

I see your book, I like Jungian based psychology in those regards, but the turning point for me was an NDE.
[

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
I speak mainly from direct personal experience, yes. I ran a techno club in the 90's, distributed, used and abused all levels of designer drugs, hallucinogenics et al. I ran chemical road down till it ended in NDE car crash/coma, so I'll give you a handclap for your perceptions.

It's easy to see when you have been there before. Check out the edit in my last post, that book saved my life.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It's easy to see when you have been there before. Check out the edit in my last post, that book saved my life.

I haven't looked back for many years, no worries here. I suppose death and loss spurned me (widowed) into seeking abandonement from reality thru chemical means. My inability to cope was a key factor, hindsite is 20/20 .

So when I hear or read others tell me their pro-choice ideas, I see it for what it is blantant hogwash! Progressively higher rates of drug usage and promotional of drug usage, until the society is mainly addicts. Then the grand facade is complete, enter the NWO where your thoughts are more easily controlled thru chemical manipulation with mostly addictive personalities.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

I am not having any part of that insane machination of control and will fight to the last breath trying to stop it.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
People have used hallucinogenic/mind-altering substances since Joe Caveman first figured out the mushrooms from his neighbour's patch left him feeling a little weirder than his own mushrooms...this has nothing to do with the/any NWO.

It's very simply a case of personal choice - we all make them, and we all make lousy ones at times, but sometimes our choices improve our lives; I'm quite sure that certain chronic pain patients (which includes those with pain syndromes unrelated to terminal conditions) will confirm the benefits of marijuana use, just as there are, whether or not you choose to believe it, many many members of our society who contribute in incredibly positive ways and still enjoy smoking various substances.

But quite frankly, whether or not we believe or like it, Regenmacher, what someone else chooses to do with their lives (provided it's not causing harm to anyone else) is nobody's business but theirs. There is a world of difference between "using" and "abusing"; there's no guarantee that the first will automatically lead to the second, nor is there any guarantee that using pot will automatically lead to harder drugs.

Just as drinking a glass of wine with dinner isn't an automatic promise that you'll become an alcoholic.

I suppose it was just disappointing to see that level of carte blanche generalisation where obviously such a thing is inaccurate and unfounded.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Francis Rossi, of Staus Quo fame, said in todays Daily Mirror - "I would prefer my kids to smoke dope than drink alcohol - Alcohol led me to coc aine, hash didn't lead me anywhere. I'm not saying everyone should be taking drugs, but there's a lot of hysteria about it".

Not a great intellectual insight, but an honest opinion that is shared by many. Kids as young as 10 are "allowed" (by their own parents in many cases) to drink in front of their parents, but many adults would never tell their elderly parents about their pot smoking. Not because they know they are doing wrong, but because of all the stigma and hysteria surrounding pot. Many parents, fed the Reefer Madness mindset throughout life, would much prefer to see thier children having the occasional drink than the occasional spliff, for no other reason than that they have no idea what cannabis is/does. Ignorance is not bliss.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
There is a world of difference between "using" and "abusing"; there's no guarantee that the first will automatically lead to the second, nor is there any guarantee that using pot will automatically lead to harder drugs.

This is key. The anti-drugs argument seems to be based on exactly the opposite of this. It seems, in Britain at least, that we can be trusted to be sensible with the most destructive drug (statistically), but not with others.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
"The war on drugs is a waste of time, how could a plant be a crime when they got the guns the bombs the missles to kill off our planet twenty times. Arrest and seizure we all get jailed and fined? Those kind of laws make no sense in my mind. I just want to live in peace kick back and smoke the kind" --- Kottonmouth Kings

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Fury
"Whatever happened to just plain crazy?" People need to take responsibillity for their actions and not associate it with their recreational habits.
:

Hear hear.

The government will never admit to its people "Frankly, some of you are just morons no matter what you do". Some of them could be smoking, some of them driving dangerously, some of them commiting petty crimes.

The thing I don't like is the penalising of responsible users for the actions of a few idiots. We don't see them banning cars because of people driving recklessly. And it sure causes a lot more deaths....

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I just re-read this thread. There were lots of people concerned about "Product" out there that is Laced with Chemical Garbage. Some are also Advocating that Cannabis remain Illegal - Hey guys here is a Revelation - there is "BAD PRODUCT" out there BECAUSE it is Illegal. This Risky Business Attracts the *Criminal Element* that have no qualms about growing the Plant with CHEMICALS & even possibly Lacing it with other Drugs & Chemicals. If it were LEGALIZED & Regulated we can all have PURE & ORGANIC Cannabis - this is the way that it should be Experienced & Consumed. It looks like to me that a CORRUPT U.S. Government - by Declaring a "War on Drugs" & "War on Terrorism" are really only Creating MORE Criminals & Terrorists!

Also - I have read that study - it seems to link a bunch of Phenomina or Side Effects that Cannabis users might experience with "Insanity". Apparently they must have excluded the possibility that the Cannabis use might have enhanced latent Telepathic abilities that all Humans Naturally Posses. The "Symptoms" listed all sounded like part of Telepathic or at least Empathic ability!

[edit on 26-1-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
I just re-read this thread. There were lots of people concerned about "Product" out there that is Laced with Chemical Garbage. Some are also Advocating that Cannabis remain Illegal - Hey guys here is a Revelation - there is "BAD PRODUCT" out there BECAUSE it is Illegal. This Risky Business Attracts the *Criminal Element* that have no qualms about growing the Plant with CHEMICALS & even possibly Lacing it with other Drugs & Chemicals. If it were LEGALIZED & Regulated we can all have PURE & ORGANIC Cannabis - this is the way that it should be Experienced & Consumed.

But would we even get a clean product? I'm all for legalization and decriminalization, but I don't think I would trust Philip Morris or RJ Reynolds to provide a safe product. Considering all the chemicals they've put into tobacco, I would hate to see what they would try to put into marijuana.

What kind of taxes would the US government slap onto marijuana sales? What kind of regulations for growers? What would the US government say was the correct dossage?

I don't feel the US government should be involved. People should be left alone to grow their own, and then they can grow pure and organic.

It looks like to me that a CORRUPT U.S. Government - by Declaring a "War on Drugs" & "War on Terrorism" are really only Creating MORE Criminals & Terrorists!

Let's not forget the 'War on Poverty' either.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xibalba
I don't feel the US government should be involved. People should be left alone to grow their own, and then they can grow pure and organic.

Amen to that. I don't know anybody who would want to pay when it's so easy to grow. Which is the reason it remains illegal, uncle sam wants his cut.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by 27jd]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Quote: "I don't know anybody who would want to pay when it's *so easy* to grow."

Yeah - it is also "Easy" to get Raided by the DEA - have all of your Money & Property SEIZED AND be thrown in Prison for 10 Years or more!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
This Risky Business Attracts the *Criminal Element* that have no qualms about growing the Plant with CHEMICALS & even possibly Lacing it with other Drugs & Chemicals.

Having been a partaker of the evil weed now for over 20 yrs I have yet to come across any that has been 'laced' with chemicals. I prob shouldn't say this, but I have grown also (Relax 215!!).

How would they add chemicals exactly? How can you 'lace' any plant with a chemical, other than growing aids, and not have it die?

The marijuana plant is very sensitive to so many things, the ph of the water, the type of medium it's grown in, heat, light, bugs. Any one of these can cause the plant to not produce any THC or not grow at all.

Growing the 'plant' to make it smokeable and have the desired effect is not as easy as people percieve. Yes the plant is easy to grow, but unless it is taken care of and very carefuly treated, all you will end up with is Hemp containing very little THC. Or a plant that makes you want to rip your throat out from the burning. You don't smoke the leaves as most ppl think either, it's the 'flower buds' before they turn to flower. The THC is produced to protect those buds on the plant.

Add ANY chemical to the plant, especialy while it's growing, would kill the plant. Even if it lived it would be instantly noticeable by the smoker. Even if the grower does not corectly flush the plant before harvest, to get rid of any grow products used, will yeald a plant barely smokeable (usualy a week of pure ph'd water only before harvest). Who would buy that? Business suicide.

Adding a 'chemical' to it after it's been harvested is well near impossible, what 'chemical' would go un-noticed?

The 'laced weed' is a myth.

[edit on 27/1/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Fomaldehyde(ebalming fluid) is the only chemical that comes to mind for 'laced' marijuana. Ive never seen pot with that on it but I have heard from friends of friends that it does happen.

Anyone who can grow tomatoes can harvest a good pot crop. I suppose someone with no experience growing crops may have some problems. In other words, it ain't rocket science.

To the original topic, Cannabis linked to metal illness. I wish the governments and police force would spend as much time and money going after criminals that without any doubts causes mental illness for the victims: sexual abusers especially the ones who go after children. A child who has been abused has an astronomical increased risk of using drugs, being suicidal, being depressed, having relationships with other people, ect.... all things that make a person mentally ill.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Anyone who can grow tomatoes can harvest a good pot crop.

I disagree, I've seen and smoked plenty of 'home grown' and it's usualy pretty low quality. Anyone can grow the plant, but does it blow ya socks off when ya smoke it? That's the important part. Getting the plant to produce a high THC content and produce a good smoke (taste/smell etc.) is the tough part.

I've seen pro-set up 'gardens' fail to yeald quality smoke because of many different reasons, as mentioned in my last post. Even the room location can have negative effects. There is a science to growing quality smoke.

Maybe if you only smoke once in awhile low quality may seem good to you.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Here's an article that claims mariujana can actualy help mental disorders...

Chemicals found in cannabis could be used to relieve symptoms of severe mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder, researchers have claimed.

They found evidence that two chemicals in cannabis could aid people with mental illness; THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).

THC helps give the 'high' associated with cannabis use, while CBD has been found to have calming properties.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
i think its the constant guilt carried by some pot users. having to lie to loved ones and bull crap your way through life has gotta take its toll. the guilt, the pressure of finding the cash for your next hit combined with the little green depressant causes the mental instabilty. those in the correct care free environment (AKA; Amsterdam) seem to never suffer mental illness.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
From personal experience I think most long term pot smokers are already mentaly ill in some way. Pot smoking relieves some of the problems associated with depression and anxiety, and the problems of isolation caused by these disorders, not nessecarily the disorder itself. Just makes life easier to deal with, at least it does me. And as an aside, long term smokers really don't get 'high' in the sense most ppl think of it. Pot hasn't made me giggle since high school and I'm 42. It just helps to keep the mental problems from being your lifes focus, and allows you to be more productive in your life.
Anxiety and depression can easily take over and just leave you with no motivation for life at all. Pot sort of just makes me feel 'normal'.

Anyway 'normal' balanced folks might smoke but only see it as a fun thing to do, not noticing any kind of 'medical' effect on their wellbeing so generaly wouldn't develope the habit of long term use.
Same thing happens with alchohol to a certain degree.

Most ppl I meet around my age, who still smoke, have a history of mental health issues long before they started smoking.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join