It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early hints of a Asian Pacifc version of NATO?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Is a Pacific version of NATO to counter China in the making? While I can only guess I would say the first steps are being put into place. Up until now a Pacific version of NATO could not have included Japan do to Japans limits on only using military force to defend itself. Well that just changed. Japan to ease limits on military This change would allow Japans military to act in collective defense of an ally. Right now Japans only formal ally is the United States. And while the change would increase Japans ability to defend the United States I would guess it is more allow Japan to defend future allies, perhaps in a military alliance like NATO.

Along with this change we see Japan expanding its military ties to Australia, UK, France and India.

Abe says the US-Japan alliance remains central to his security policy, but has expanded defense cooperation with Britain, France, India and several Asian-Pacific nations, particularly Australia, amid China's growing military activities in the region and concern that budget pressures may reduce America's presence.
Japan Australia sub deal

We also see US increasing ties with Malaysia US Malaysia ties

Each year, for the last 20 years, U.S. Naval forces conduct an annual bilateral exercise series with their counterparts from several regional countries. Called Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT), this year’s evolution with Malaysia clearly reflected the growing relationship between the two militaries.

Myanmar (AKA Burma) increasing military ties with the US and Japan Myanmar promotes ties with US Japan

And at RIMPAC the month long military exercise in Hawaii where China will participate in its first large scale Western style military exercise, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs will holding

Trilateral talks with his Japanese and Korean counterparts during a short trip to Hawaii.
RIMPAC talks

And last but certainly not least India's new leadership is very close with Japan. A tie which both nations hope to use to bring the US closer to India. Japan because India large forces would be a nice counter to China and India because it wants to be more aggressive in dealing with Chinese incursions into its territory. This step closer already appears to be in the works.

Australia and India are deepening military ties and reviving the spirit of a controversial four-way democratic coalition with Japan and the United States, in response to growing concerns about China.
Australia India increase ties

What would and Pacific NATO look like? The US, Japan, South Korea, The Philippines, Australia, Thailand (post coup), Malaysia, and Singapore all seem like a lock. UK, France, Myanmar, Vietnam, New Zealand, India, Indonesia, and Papa New Guineas are also likely possible members or nations that would look for strong ties to such a group. Much like we see with Sweden and Finland with NATO. Taiwan's odd diplomatic status makes it an unlikely official candidate but, one would expect close cooperation between them.

This is all speculation of course based only open source material. However China's continued aggressive moves in the region lack any diplomatic tact seems to be uniting an entire region against them.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

There already was an attempt to create such an organization. It was called SEATO, but only lasted a few years.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Abe is going to be doing some serious face saving with the japanese public .. as the majority are opposed to his easing the limits with good reason the japanese do not want to get sent off to fight and die in westerners illegal /immoral wars . Theres already protests against Abe ..

Am in agreement with the majority of my countrymen in opposing what Abe has done. If he has a shred of honour he'd cancel that .. formally apologise to the people of japan and resign with immediate effect for selling japan out to gaijin ..

As to an asian nato ... dont hold your breath on it lasting any length of time.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting...im curious where several countries in the region will stand....Cambodia, etc...

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There already was an attempt to create such an organization. It was called SEATO, but only lasted a few years.

SEATO or the South East Asian Treaty Organization was a hodge podge and made mostly countries not even in South East Asia like France, Pakistan, UK, NZ, Australia and the US. Only Thialand and the Philiipines were realy South East Asian nations. It never really got off the ground. And really how could it without key nations like Japan and South Korea. Now of course all the key players are the very people pushing for it. SEATO much like CENTO were never like NATO in away except name.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Until a few months ago, half the SEA nations would barely talk to each other passing messages through the US.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yea but also in the last year China has managed to piss off most of the surrounding nations... I could see at least in the short run something like Nato.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That's kind of what I was going for. But it will only work for awhile, and only with the US to hold it together.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Why should the UK be part of this?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

The UK is part of the of the Five Power Defense Arrangement with Singapore, Malasyia, Australia, and New Zealand. The UK also has defense agreements with Brunie. Not to mention the UK has recently announced it will have a greater military presence in the Pacific. So if 6 UK allies are in it you bet the UK will be as well.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Maybe because The U.K. still has territory in The South Pacific.
Just a guess.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I guess you make a very very good point.

Just with all the cutting and slashing our goverments being doing to our defence budget its seems like too much responsibility with nato as well.

Id rather be a country that carrys out its duty as a alliy well in a few cases than half arsed in many.

If oyr Royal navy and airforce was twice the size like it should be Id be more enthusiastic.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I guess you make a very very good point.

Just with all the cutting and slashing our goverments being doing to our defence budget its seems like too much responsibility with nato as well.

Id rather be a country that carrys out its duty as a alliy well in a few cases than half arsed in many.

If oyr Royal navy and airforce was twice the size like it should be Id be more enthusiastic.

Well the UK would be a role player in the region, filling areas the others can not or leading an allied task force made up nations long used to working hand in hand with the UK like the Aussies, NZ, Singapore, Brunie and Malasyia. SAS unites etc. supporting allied units as well. In the Pacific the UK contribution would be quality over quantity.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

This is exactly what I have been telling my wife will happen (and hope happens). She is Filipino.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Until a few months ago, half the SEA nations would barely talk to each other passing messages through the US.

It's amazing what self preservation/common enemies can do for relations though.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The next step in the NWO? Unite regions (an Asian union, Russia bullies together an Eastern European union, the current EU, recent comments about a North American Union, etc.) and then start consolidating the various unions together.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: fusion47
The next step in the NWO? Unite regions (an Asian union, Russia bullies together an Eastern European union, the current EU, recent comments about a North American Union, etc.) and then start consolidating the various unions together.

Already happening, next year all of SEA will be part of something called ASEAN which will basically be like the EU.
Basically people who live in SEA will be able to cross borders and work without the need for Visas, will be interesting to see if there is a massive population shift to the richer\higher wage countries.
The only difference I can see between this and the EU is that at this stage there is no shared currency being spoken about

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It is, but even then with the history they have, without someone to hold them together any alliance won't last long before crumbling.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It is, but even then with the history they have, without someone to hold them together any alliance won't last long before crumbling.

Very possible. I would imagine the US would be the glue, and the Asian nations will probably start a few fires, but nothing too big because they know they need each other.

All speculation, but I can definitely envision it. Especially with AUS support, I don't know much about their politics but I imagine they are semi-neutral with MOST neighbors (though I know not all).

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: fusion47

During the Cold War you already had that for a time.

One camp was Western, NATO in Western Europe, OAS in North, South and Central America, CARICOM in in the Carribean, CETO in the mideast, and SEATO in South East Asia.

One Camp was Communist Warsaw Pact in Eastern Europe plus Soviet Client States all over the world

So you pretty much had most of the World in two camps. Before that was the time of empires when a few nations ruled most of the planet. Compared to the last Century the world has become much more divided. Such is the nature of things, nations gravitate back and forth as they see where their own self interests lie.

Also somebody posted about ASEAN being formed next year? ASEAN was formed in 1967.

top topics

join