It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conditioned Human Apathy? Why do people no longer get pissed off? (Terence Mckenna)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Now I expect people will have different ideas about why we, unlike in the 60s, have not had any type of organized social civil disobedience that had memorable and well defined goals and achieved something productive in terms of policy change to the major institutions and corporations behind which most of the toxic power lies that is destroying the planet, destroying community and dehumanizing us into behaving like machines.

It could be due to technology, it could be due to control of the TV and media so people do not get mad as at current events as they should [thank god for the internet], whatever you may think this short three minute Mckenna video is a real Gem, and cuts straight to the heart of this issue. Something about his delivery and tone makes the message sound more prescient than simply reading the transcript.

Why are people so apathetic? Why are people so unrousable? Share your thoughts thanks.

"I don't want to get into an air-clawing rave about this, but I feel that as a person who was raised Catholic I have a certain permission to criticise my own subgroup. I think that the third Reich was a Sunday school picnic in terms of the population policies of the Roman Catholic church, they will shove millions of people per year into poverty disease and death in the pursuit of a theological doctrine that nobody understands the sense of.

In a civilized political environment those people would be placed under immediate arrest. Just like we did the leadership of the Nazis. I do not understand how you can call your self 'pro life' when the policies that you espouse mean planetary death. That's the program of the pro life position; more starvation, more agony, more wars, more destroyed land, more population; in the name of being pro life? What have words come to mean.

The thing that was so great about the 60's, and is so frustrating about the 90's and modern times is that people do not get pissed off. You know I can can tell you this, and you can nod in agreement, but at some point the thing becomes so odious, so clearly intellectually bankrupt, so clearly toxic to any kind of human values that we can relate to that you just have to put yourself on the line. And I don't know when that moment will come, it's not for me to say, but at some point a switch will be turned in the unconscious; there's enough evidence, outrage and muddleheadedness and downright evil around that sooner or later we are going to have to confront it, otherwise this society is just a sinking submarine. And there is no way out unless people who really understand the gravity of the situation and the stakes make their voices heard.

If we leave it up to the institutions that have been put in place over the last 500 years these are anti-human institutions, these institutions hate the human race, hate ordinary people, and until we wake up to this we are going to be their victims. We're the marks. Well how do you like being a mark? You can only take so much of that until you finally stand up and say “enough”

~ Terence Mckenna

One minute video by TragedyAndHope the above quote is from:

edit on 1-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeuZZ
Why are people so unrousable? Share your thoughts thanks.

My last name is Rouse. I could say I wonder the same.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeuZZ

Why do people no longer get pissed off

simple.......chemicals in all the foods we eat designed to do just that.....making people complaisant and manageable..

also...brain-dead.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: hgfbob

simple.......chemicals in all the foods we eat designed to do just that.....making people complaisant and manageable..

also...brain-dead.

Complaisant? We got ourselves a 'stainer' here.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I have the real answer.............maoi drugs......anti bullying hysteria......political correctness......And last but not least the root cause of most problems facing the American family........The progressive mindset.

What happens is people are conditioned from a early age to be weak of mind and soul. Schools push it and sadly even parents push it in the home. It is also the reason why young adults are not leaving the nest. Sad is the only word that describes this sickness of the mind.
edit on 1-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

This is the whole frog in a pot concept, they don't walk up and punch you in the face. They start by unnecessarily touching you and telling you it's better for you, then it's a pinch here and there, you are annoyed but it's ok it's better for you. Then a tap and they move that tap around in less sensitive places, to more sensitive places. Tap tap tap, harder and harder, then a tap is normal, it's done all the time, because it's better for you. Then you get your fist punch and you flinch and wonder what the hell, you complain, you watch TV and they say it is better for you, everyday they remind you it's better for you. So you buck it up, keep working hard provide for your family and more punches comes, then you say to yourself this is better, and they remind you on TV it's better. Then it's a full blown smack right on the jaw, at first you know this isn't better for you, but they blame others it wasn't their fault, but you're better for it. Then a whole group of people, the TV, some friends, some family, think it's better because now they are giving you free bandaids, and finally you agree it is better. With free bandaids you can get smacked all they want. They take your money to buy more bandaids because more smacks are coming now, so now you question how much they should take for the bandaids, you don't want trouble, the TV says it better for everyone, and we have to give free bandaids to everyone as many as they want, and they need your help to do it.

Then a segment of the population stands up and says "HEY DON'T TOUCH ME", the TV demonizes them, calls them stupid, they are racist, and anyone who speaks against a smack is evil. These smacks are for the better why can't you see that? They have now divided you and the other segment, you are convinced they should be smacked to and join a group to support smacking.

Then one day you wake up black and blue and realize you have been lied to, the smacking hurts, and it's time for a change. You join the Anti-Smack Party and you start changing the smackers as fast as you can and the whole time you are the most evil thing on the planet because the smackers are using their smacking power and your smacking money to demonize you to the smacked.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Complaisant? We got ourselves a 'stainer' here.

a "stainer"....sorry, I don't paint or stain...I have subs that come in and do that for me.

so your pathetic, one-line-drive-by attack means nothing....besides, LOTS of info out there supporting that fact...google can be your friend if you ask nice.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: hgfbob

also...brain-dead.

I can't say about the rest of the food, but they put Fluoride in the water. That tasteless chemical the Nazi's put in death camp water to keep people calm.
edit on 1-7-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Well, I do not know what it is like in America in this regard, but these days in Britain, protestors who operate in large enough numbers to have an affect, have no power what so ever. They have have the notional right to assemble, but they have also have the right to be charged on horseback, unnecessarily beaten, for disabled protestors to be dragged from their mobility equipment and beaten, and be arrested on trumped up and unrealistic charges, not to mention getting bludgeoned so badly that they have bleeding on the brain, and have their sharp minds reduced to the dullest possible edge.

They have the right to be "kettled", to be demonised in the press rather than having their free speech supported, and frankly, protest of a sort which contains enough people to be worth while, is no longer possible without being infiltrated by undercover police, who incite behaviour legitimising virtually any response by riot officers, up to and including the use of pepper spray, and probably much worse than that nowadays I would think.

Furthermore, just being at a protest can get one arrested, and being arrested is enough to lose a person a job. Given the scarcity of gainful employment these days, it is little wonder that people are unwilling to consign themselves to a future on unemployment benefits, if they have already got some meagre income.

Frankly, the right to protest needs updating to "the right to protest without interference from the police, without any form of formal prior notification, without limitation or exception, no matter the scenario at play during the protest".

Till that happens, there will be too few people prepared to act, to make a blind bit of difference.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Respect to Mckenna but could it be that people are so "unrousable" in the West because they've never had it so good?

At no time in history has it been so easy to exist with the minimum of effort due to globalisation of consumables, "convenience everything" and welfare payments.

During every revolution in the West there has always been some underlying hardship and although hardship still exists for the poor in the west- it is relatively tame in comparison to the rampant poverty and disease that served as a backdrop to many other historical revolutions.

The ultimate goal of unmoderated capitalism is a human farm with each individual being a cost centre with a net input/output.
The farmers have learned that by maintaining a minimum level of welfare this will placate the "cattle" to provide a net economic gain .
People at the top (the farmers) do nothing.
People at the bottom (the poor) do nothing.
People in the middle (everyone else AKA the cattle) carry the entire load through their acceptance of relatively high taxation and underpaid work to keep everything running smoothly.

Blame the middle classes..i.e middle of the road people who seek financial security by toiling in unfair distribution of profit arrangements for billionaires who are thousands of times richer than them- whilst their fellow man starves/freezes to death just round the corner.

edit on 1-7-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

I have the real answer.............maoi drugs......anti bullying hysteria......political correctness......And last but not least the root cause of most problems facing the American family........The progressive mindset.

What happens is people are conditioned from a early age to be weak of mind and soul. Schools push it and sadly even parents push it in the home. It is also the reason why young adults are not leaving the nest. Sad is the only word that describes this sickness of the mind.

Oh god, really?
Progressives are the problem? WOW.
I'd say the complete opposite.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Nobody get angry enough about these things to do anything about it because they have been raised up to value money and trinkets more than anything else including freedom.

Another contributing factor is because they have been trained up to be true believers in the main stream media.

Yet another reason is that they are committed debt slaves who must keep with those that have more trinkets than they.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Far too many reasons too list! Suffice it to say that they have been perfecting methods of controlling the masses since Bernays wrote the book propaganda.

They control us by keeping us in the base emotions, king of which is FEAR. It is not to say that people do not get angry, they definitely do, it is just that, that anger has been channeled into the divisions they have created. This way the real issues, for example systemic corruption all across the board gets thrown into the "It's just the way it is" category.

Also in keeping people in their base emotions, you stop them from accessing higher levels of experience. The ones that are the simplest, compassion, generosity, cooperation, innovation, creativity in all forms etc. Limiting people ability to safely experience altered states of consciousness is another one of the pillars of this, you simply can not allow people to know how powerful they are!

edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago07America/Chicago731amTuesday4 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

I was not allowed to be a pussy. I have come home with a bloodied face. My dad told me that if I didn't go beat the guy's ass that did it, he was going to beat my ass. I had to ride my bike to the bullies house, knock on the door, and explain the situation. Then I beat the crap out of him. Judge it as you will. That's how I was raised.

edit on 1-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Some of it has been attributed to the different conditions that generations grew up in.
There is the X Generation- the children of those protesting hippies, most of them were left to grow up "naturally"- meaning, without protection or guidance, (neglected) while their parents went about on much more pressing missions of changing the world or experimenting with altered states of consciousness and sexuality.

The surrounding culture of demon children films, and pro-abortion frenzy, helped to make kids who were tough survivors, with low sense of self value. The "No Future" , "Life's a Bitch and Then you Die" young culture developed.

We didn't learn to hope we could change the world, we learned to survive the chaos of the world that was beyond our power to influence. We didn't grow up learning little kids and their dog/dolphin/bear buddy could always save the adults from catastrophy, like our parents did.

Most people of that generation are most likely to be preppers, and probably the best suited to survive catastrophy, really- the modern day pirates or colonials. We don't bother with throwing a fit, it never got us anything when we were a kid, we just pack up what we need, grab a weapon and deal with whatever is coming.

Our children seem to have some of the hope my parents did, but hope to do it more intelligent ways- using technology. I somtimes think they are making a bigger impact than we realize. They are being more sneaky than the hippies, and I think that is wise. Hippies back then didn't have drones to worry about, for one thing....

ETA-

JUst realized how reading my post, I got pictures in my head of The Terminator 2- how the mother illustrates my generation, and the son, the next....
edit on 1-7-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

Some of it has been attributed to the different conditions that generations grew up in.

In my generation... ehm.... old guy, we grew up with leave it to beaver, My son gets to grow up with Two and a half men.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: hgfbob

This is an example of a common problem I find on forums. I was just cracking a joke. If we were in the same room when I said it, I am pretty sure that the sense of humor would have translated. No blame. Peace.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

can't say about the rest of the food, but they put Fluoride in the water. That tasteless chemical the Nazi's put in death camp water to keep people calm.

more than enough info out there to make everyone of us aware of what we ingest.

12 Dangerous And Hidden Food Ingredients In Seemingly Healthy Foods

yet people don't seem to care.....guess the ingredients are working.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

This is an example of a common problem I find on forums. I was just cracking a joke. If we were in the same room when I said it, I am pretty sure that the sense of humor would have translated. No blame. Peace.

it's all good......guess I'm just a little 'shill-shocked' from the 9-11 forums.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Both apathy and empathy are two of the most ridiculous traits!! I am disgusted every time I hear those words from people's face hole.

Why should we feel for our fellow man? When ANY of you (and I know some of you have faced REAL hard times, losing homes, losing loved ones to crimes, being disabled, having banks take your lives away) fall down NO ONE gives a crap because they are too concerned about their own lives.

I don't give a crap about my next door neighbour anymore than I do about anyone on here. When the SHTF it will be every person for themselves. You will not give your last morsel of food to a stranger if you know its all you have and it could save their life.

People who have no fight for their rights and lives are worthless and should and will get whats coming.

People are too scared, too drawn between their current lives and the possibility of losing what they have built.!! Its the perfect design by the ones who hold the power!!

I have and never will care for anyone outside my very small circle - and even some of them I could easily lose without a single bat of an eyelid!!

You should all be more like that......it will keep you honest and above all aware!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join