It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good start with Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Look like the Bush administration is headed in the right direction to rebuild our strained relations.

Link

[edit on 1-12-2004 by GODFLESH]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Nice try, however Mr. Bush was not received well in Canada.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't so much think he came up to 'rebuild strained relations' as much as 'push the missile defence plan'.

In fact, he brought it up repeatedly despite the Prime Minister's adamant refusual to do so. Canada doesn't want to weaponize space.

DE

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
During the press conference, he volunteered that he brought up the question of the future of NORAD with Paul Martin... wouldn't say more.

Well, let's at least say that the guy is helping the issue of Canadian beef exports move forward. And he did pay homage to Canada as an ally and an "old friend".

However, Canada is beginning to move slowly towards a more pro-US policy... for example, it'll change its support from the Palestinians to the Israelis in an upcoming vote at the UN. I'm not sure that's wise...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Why do some of you people act with so much cynism when Bush is trying to rebuild relations? Isn�t this is a good thing and not bad?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GODFLESH
Why do some of you people act with so much cynism when Bush is trying to rebuild relations? Isn�t this is a good thing and not bad?

Experience is our reason for cynicism. It's a damn good one too. And I have a lurking suspicion that Bush is striving to rebuild relations....on his terms. He raises from trade bans and tariffs in exchange for Canada's support on things like the Palestinian issue or the SDI.

Up here, we call that 'coercion'.

DE

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I got a kick out of the President Dink sign!

Wouldn't get elected dog catcher...that's a pretty good one!

(still ROFL)

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Up here, we call that 'coercion'.

That is what he seemed to insinuate. Another insinuation by Mr. Bush when asked on whether it will be more difficult to cross the border if Canada Decrimilized Marijuana and(correct me if i'm wrong im tired right now) If memory serves me correct his counter was peculier, somthing about how insignificant it would be if we had Missle defence or something or am I just mixing two different statements into one(he also chose his words very carfully as well and that is not the Bush I am used too i think hes been taking chameleon lessons from Mr Harper
). Anyone got the transcript? There was alot of surprising questions and answers during the Q&A it almost felt as if it wasn't scripted....

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Nice try, however Mr. Bush was not received well in Canada.

Just look at all those idiots!!!!!!!

You know, it's funny - why is it that liberal demonstrations are BY FAR the least civilized fo them all?

You got to love the "Buck Fush" sign, as well as the American flag with a swatztica (spl?) in the middle of it. Oh what civilized nieghbors we have
Great people with a lot of couth

It's a DAMN good thing these people aren't getting their way.

If it were only them populating Canada, I would have no problem just topling their whole economy. What little respect they show America.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by American Mad Man]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Wow, American mad Man. Your comments are impressively constructive.

these people seem civilized, all thigns considered. No rioting, no tear gas. However, I'm sure your loving embrace of an arbitrary politcal divide did not go amiss.

DE

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I thought the funniest thing Bush ever said was when Bush thanked the canadian citizens who came out and waved.............. with all five fingers. I guess he could not convince the Prime Minister to create free speech zones for all the people who wanted to protest so this time he actually saw people who did not like or agree with him, probably a shocker for him. Way to go Canada!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Coercion, arm-twisting, whatever, it's all part of negotiating, which is what civilized nations do with one another. The U.S. will tend to want to set things up more favorably for the U.S., and Canada will want to set things up more favorably for Canada.

Where these two agendas disagree, the negotiations commence. Where they agree, we shake hands and congratulate one another on how wonderful we are.

I would say the U.S. and Canada get along pretty well as far as siblings go, despite the occasional pillow fight.

But considering how little gunfire we exchange between one another -- and most of that accidental -- I would say we get along much better than most countries do, and I can't see that as a bad thing.

As for those standing around in the streets holding up tasteless signs, we don't pay any more attention to them down here than you do up there.

The day I start taking political advice from people standing in the middle of the street wearing rainbow wigs is the day I'll consider myself unfit to vote.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
...That's a much more balanced response than American mad man who seems to need an awfull lot of smilies to put flesh on his hollow bombastic and disrespectfull statements.

As far as i can see it, the armtwisting is paying off for "those idiots" up north, giving the US a favourable vote at the UN (wich has become a corrupted institute anyway, ask the son of Kofi Anan)is a cheap way to get favourable tarives....

If they keep up the reluctancy and healthy scepticism they will get a great discount on missile defense system also, but do they really need it
? nobody, not even the terrorists have any interest to attack those liberal canadian peaceniks)

[edit on 2-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 2-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Coercion, arm-twisting, whatever, it's all part of negotiating, which is what civilized nations do with one another. The U.S. will tend to want to set things up more favorably for the U.S., and Canada will want to set things up more favorably for Canada.

Where these two agendas disagree, the negotiations commence. Where they agree, we shake hands and congratulate one another on how wonderful we are.

I would say the U.S. and Canada get along pretty well as far as siblings go, despite the occasional pillow fight.

But considering how little gunfire we exchange between one another -- and most of that accidental -- I would say we get along much better than most countries do, and I can't see that as a bad thing.

As for those standing around in the streets holding up tasteless signs, we don't pay any more attention to them down here than you do up there.

The day I start taking political advice from people standing in the middle of the street wearing rainbow wigs is the day I'll consider myself unfit to vote.

very well said

and we would be very foolish to walk away from the bargaining table...80% of our exports are purchased by the US...compared to less tha 20% the other way....that big 'ol trade surplus of ours could easily go *poof* at the drop of a hat

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
One thing for sure, Canada won't go with the state in the missile in space...Bush said he dosen't care, the USA can do what they want...but we won't be part of any kind of war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That, I'm happy

I just that Canadians are pro-peace and it will stay that way!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Amelia... I love ya gal... but geez... you say the same thing in every post.

Have you ever considered that Canada can afford to be "pro-peace" because of the fact you are protected by the US?

I know I know... Everyones gonna take what I just said completely out of context here... lemme have it

I'm not anti canada at all here... LaBatts is one hell of an import.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
to make a blanket statement that Canada is pro peace ignores the history of Canada

once Trudeau got his hands on the military and effectively gutted it...Canada had no other alternative to be "pro-peace"...and rely on US protection

its kinda like the boxer who "prefers" not to fight anymore... cause his arms are broken

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Just to let everybody know....

Almost everybody I know is in favour of improving our ties with our American neighbours. My family is pro US! The fact that we still have
a bunch of peacenik Liberals stilll baffles me.

Anyway I hope Mr. Bush continues puting pressure on these "Liberals", it can only serve to speed-up a change in government. (I'm hopin' and prayin' for a vote of no-confidence)

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailorLaBatts is one hell of an import.

Blech... if you want good Canadian beer, look for some Moosehead. I know they have it in California and a number of other states.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
American Mad Man - A lot of people would love it if we liberals could just shut up, that way conservatives could implement their agenda in peace... well, it ain't gonna happen. And if people want to protest against Bush, I think it's their right. Think what you will of them.

Lost Sailor - we're well aware that we live in good part under the U.S.'s protection shield. However, we can't use that as the only factor to guide our decisions, otherwise we forfeit our status as a sovereign nation. And no offense to anyone, but I'm really not interested in becoming American.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join