It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B2 Bomber to get massive upgrade

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
www.dodbuzz.com...

The Air Force’s B-2 Spirit is receiving a technological upgrade to allow the service’s bat-winged, nuclear capable bomber to fly through 2058.

Air Force officials have started planning the modernization overhaul to include digital nuclear weapons and a new receiver that allows the bomber to receive messages in the event of a nuclear detonation, said Eric Single, chief of the Global Strike division for Air Force acquisition.

The B2 stealth bomber is set to get upgrades to keep the bomber flying through to 2058. An interesting bit of info is that they're planning on putting VLF Comms into it, only a receiver so that in the event of a nuclear war the B2 can still recieve targeting info. I'm sure Zaph will come on here pretty soon and explain why this isn't really needed

Enjoy
edit on 26-6-2014 by B2StealthBomber because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: B2StealthBomber

I can, but I want to see if anyone else can figure it out first.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

B-2's are equipped with an AN/ARC-211 HF, AN/ARC-215 VHF/UHF, 20 AN/ARR-85 VLF/LF receiver and Milstar satellite EHF comms.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: weavty1

There's a reason why the put it in, it's not because of the reason stated though.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Hopefully the technology to recieve transmissions in the event of nuke is more than sv boxes and hcp we have on 135's. That stuff is a waste and likely wouldnt prevent malfunctions

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Communication with submarines?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

According to some sources it's receive only.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

That was my first guess too lol but nah it's not that.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

According to some sources it's receive only.

I phrased it wrong, but they would be able to receive comm. The sub could relay.

I'll put 5 bucks on someone saying HAARP

edit on 6/26/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Didn't the B2 get an upgrade on this skin with some new meta-material that can create a plasma bubble around it? Correct me if I'm wrong, and forgive me if I'm off my rocker.
If true, wouldn't the plasma field interfere with communications. Please be nice, I'm trying to make sense of this whole stealth stuff.
What is the purpose of detecting nuclear explosions? Is it for while in flight or grounded?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The contract calls for Rockwell Collins engineers to modify, qualify, and test a B-2 bomber VLF communications system for the B-2 bomber, consisting of a terminal and receiver, antenna, human machine interface (HMI) display, and ancillary cabling, rack, and equipment to enable receipt and display of emergency action messages.

U.S. strategic bombers typically communicate over UHF satellite communications (SATCOM) links, as well as the MILSTAR SATCOM system. These SATCOM links, however, are nearing the end of their anticipated life cycles, and their strategic communications replacement, the Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) SATCOM system, will not be ready for several years.

Link

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

It's not to detect them it's to communicate after they go off.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ok, since apparently no one is going to get it, here it is.

The B-2 was originally designed to be a high altitude nuclear armed bomber, dropping nuclear weapons on the Soviet Union. It was designed 30 years ago. If it's JUST NOW getting a communication system that allows EAMs to go through nuclear detonations, what were they going to do thirty years ago if they had to drop nuclear weapons?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Ok, since apparently no one is going to get it, here it is.

The B-2 was originally designed to be a high altitude nuclear armed bomber, dropping nuclear weapons on the Soviet Union. It was designed 30 years ago. If it's JUST NOW getting a communication system that allows EAMs to go through nuclear detonations, what were they going to do thirty years ago if they had to drop nuclear weapons?

Maybe I get it now. The nuclear explosion would release an EMP-like interference and the bomber would not be able to communicate while within this range. Now we can, and it will get better when the AEHF comes online.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Nah it was more along the lines of a dielectric barrier discharge system. I don't think they're using a meta material skin on the b2 just yet, other SAP jets have used metamaterial skins in the past and are probably using them now. You can make a jet appear invisible to the eye with a metamaterial skin..

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Nope, if it were like that then they wouldn't have been able to communicate for the past 30 years.

It receives comms only, what else besides subs uses VLF? You'll go ballistic looking for the answer

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: B2StealthBomber

Nah it was more along the lines of a dielectric barrier discharge system. I don't think they're using a meta material skin on the b2 just yet, other SAP jets have used metamaterial skins in the past and are probably using them now. You can make a jet appear invisible to the eye with a metamaterial skin..

So it has to do with the explosion creating or affecting ozone that is present in our atmosphere? Speaking of metamaterials there is a new one that makes things invisible to the touch. I will be submitting my thread here shortly. Thank you for the info. We live in interesting times.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

It has satcom too, and if there's a High Altitude Nuclear Detonation then there is a way you can take electrons out of the inner belt with a method that used to be done by... Wait for it: HAARP.! Now it's done using satellites.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The nuclear blast would block normal communications, due to the interference it would put out. VLF will go through it, but the problem is that the B-2 was designed to carry those nuclear weapons that create that interference. So once it dropped them, prior to now, it would be unable to communicate after. This is something that they should have thought of 30 years ago when they designed it.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

More to do with stopping the explosions ever occurring.

EDIT. I look forward to that thread. PM when it's up, I'd love to read it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join