It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hip-Hop why the hate? My issues with Hip-Hop

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't understand why some of my friends always automatically assume I listen to rap or Hip-Hop music just because of my ethnic background. Yes I do but I'm sick of people judging me for it I am appreciative of ALL kinds of music I have every genre of music thinkable on my iPod yet Hip-Hop seems to be holding me back, I happen to listen to Hip-Hop as much as other music.

For example when I suggest playing music somebody complains "I don't want to listen to YOUR type of music" I mean wtf the majority, if not all the people that say this haven't a clue as to my music taste

And why do people hate Hip-Hop so much?!, now i'm not referring to the mainstream pop rap specifically but even late 90's or late 80's 'old school' Hip-Hop rappers like Nas, Eminem, KRS-One, Joey Bada$$, Public Enemy, NWA

Is it a race thing?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeChakra

I completely understand how you feel, camo and country seem to go hand and hand as well. It's just an extremely prominent stereotype among black people. If you are Hispanic is a little less prominent but still a strong stereotype. Doesn't mean people should assume but they do because of the above.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

It's always been easier for me to list the music I don't listen to...

Umm...

Country.

That just about sums it up.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hip-hop/Rap music RUINED the Black family unit! All of a sudden it was cool to smoke crack, not work, and join gangs.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bashka

Untrue.

It simply depends on which hip-hop/rap one chooses to listen to. One could just as easily argue that country music ruined the working class by making it cool to abuse alcohol and behave like an ignoramus.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Because it all sounds exactly the same and requires no talent to play it "Press a Button"

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeChakra
I don't understand why some of my friends always automatically assume I listen to rap or Hip-Hop music just because of my ethnic background. Yes I do but I'm sick of people judging me for it I am appreciative of ALL kinds of music I have every genre of music thinkable on my iPod yet Hip-Hop seems to be holding me back, I happen to listen to Hip-Hop as much as other music.

For example when I suggest playing music somebody complains "I don't want to listen to YOUR type of music" I mean wtf the majority, if not all the people that say this haven't a clue as to my music taste

And why do people hate Hip-Hop so much?!, now i'm not referring to the mainstream pop rap specifically but even late 90's or late 80's 'old school' Hip-Hop rappers like Nas, Eminem, KRS-One, Joey Bada$$, Public Enemy, NWA

Is it a race thing?

Just off the top of my head, because I cant stand hip hop, its violent demeaning content, that is it seems to me responsible for making an entire generation of Americas youth think they should go around acting like they live in a rap video. Hence them being in jail many times etc...

I am heavy metal man myself, but my music doesnt brag about robing stealing slapping women etc...

There is a huge difference between the counter culture Heavy metal, and the degenrative culture hip hop.

Just my 2 cents....doesnt make me right, just how I see it.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I see your point, but glorifying the burgeoning problems of the community circa late 1970s/Early 80s certainly did NOT help anything.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

Untrue.

It simply depends on which hip-hop/rap one chooses to listen to. One could just as easily argue that country music ruined the working class by making it cool to abuse alcohol and behave like an ignoramus.

Um no, most country folks work hard pay their bills and raise good families. The hip hop culture cant say this.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
Because it all sounds exactly the same and requires no talent to play it "Press a Button"

Producing good beats on a DAW isn't as easy as one may originally think. It actually takes quite a lot of talent. One still requires solid and practical knowledge of music composition and writing.

I agree, however, that a good majority of hip-hop sounds very similar but like I said, you just aren't listening to the right hip-hop.

23 Playa.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I hear you. I'm a 56 year old woman and when people hear that I DO like rap and hip-hop, they say, "you're kidding me, right?"... I'm very musical and appreciate all sorts of music, but nothing makes me want to dance like hip hop. When I'm at the gym and I've got my headphones on, I wonder what these people would think if they know I was listening to Run DMC, Lil Jon, Ludacris and Usher. Ha-ha!

I don't think it's a race thing as much as people's tendency to stereotype.

As for why people don't like it? Same reason I don't like country, I guess. Different strokes.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

It's always been easier for me to list the music I don't listen to...

Umm...

Country.

That just about sums it up.

Agreed. Country music is terrible (well let's call it New Country). I've never understood the appeal and I grew up in Georgia, my stomping grounds as a teenager were the same as Alan Jackson's were a generation earlier, both of my parents listen to it and I still just don't get it.

originally posted by: Bashka
Hip-hop/Rap music RUINED the Black family unit! All of a sudden it was cool to smoke crack, not work, and join gangs.

I think that has more to do with lack of inherited wealth, economic opportunity, disproportionate enforcement of drug laws and the fact that black people in this country have had basic civil rights for about 50 f'ing years.

No. no. you're right it's "rap music!"

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: oblvion

I'm a metal head as well. Love it. But... are you really suggesting metal is not as violent as hip-hop/rap? I mean, c'mon, stop kidding yourself.

Exhibit A: Whitechapel

*CAUTION EXTREME BRUTALITY AHEAD*

And to address your point about the "country folk": so all those rednecks out in the country nearby cooking Meth are upstanding citizens?

I think you may have missed my point. Which, to reiterate, was don't generalize entire groups of people.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

No, you are absolutely correct. I would be ignorant not to acknowledge the fact that the power elite uses ALL types of music to influence social cliques.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I'm a metal head as well. Love it. But... are you really suggesting metal is not as violent as hip-hop/rap? I mean, c'mon, stop kidding yourself.

Exhibit A: Whitechapel

*CAUTION EXTREME BRUTALITY AHEAD*

And to address your point about the "country folk": so all those rednecks out in the country nearby cooking Meth are upstanding citizens?

I think you may have missed my point. Which, to reiterate, was don't generalize entire groups of people.

Yes of course you can find examples, especially the more fringe bands.

Metallica the same a mac-10 though?
hell even Pantera is not even close to some of these guys.

Hell even one of my new faves "In this moment" is kinda violent, but more inwards, towards ones self, not so much outwardly. for example blood, or whore ( can I say whore on here or is that a T&C violation?)

They arent about abusing others and general criminal activity, they are about the counter culture.

In fact whore is abouthow ironic it is your going to call women a whore for giving you what you want. It in fact makes you the whore for over endulging yourself. It is a woman empowerment song.
edit on 2014bThursdayv1520146 by oblvion because: for clarity

If I compare this band to say easy e for example and cruisin down the street in my 64, which is more violent honestly?

edit on 2014bThursdayv2520146 by oblvion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Don't like rap or Hip hop......I' m 59.
My Daughter for my 59 nt birthday tells it all and I wear it proudly.

"I may be old but I have seen all the great bands"

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ah, yes, but my point is that examples of violence can be found in lots of genres. The two primary examples being metal and rap.

I barely even consider Metallica metal. Maybe their pre-black album stuff, which is more thrash than anything (which is a metal sub-genre) pantera is definitely thrash and at times quite violent.

I don't see how Whitechapel (which is deathcore) is "fringe" though. They are seriously one of the most popular deathcore bands around. Second maybe to Suicide Silence.

The chick from ITM's voice is grating though, their first album was superb, however.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Ah, yes, but my point is that examples of violence can be found in lots of genres. The two primary examples being metal and rap.

I barely even consider Metallica metal. Maybe their pre-black album stuff, which is more thrash than anything (which is a metal sub-genre) pantera is definitely thrash and at times quite violent.

I don't see how Whitechapel (which is deathcore) is "fringe" though. They are seriously one of the most popular deathcore bands around. Second maybe to Suicide Silence.

The chick from ITM's voice is grating though, their first album was superb, however.

Oh no sir make no mistake I meant the older metallica, and no whitechapel is not fringe.

One of my favorite songs of theirs is Beautiful tragedy.

Yes I agree metal is pretty brutal, but it is not the same at all to me, as far as promotion of criminal activity as rap.

Like I said It was just my 2 cents, and it doesnt make me right, just how I see it.

Though If I played some of my fave stuff for a rap fan they may think it extremely violent.

Out here in Wichita Falls Texas every saturday night from 10 PM until 1 AM they have the most brutal 3 hours of music in Wichita Falls. It is all brutal all the time. It is even called "the oath" "because you are sworn to the black" with johnny thrash, "he rocks your ass". On 106.3. here is last weeks show, was a good one.

1063thebuzz.com...

Napalm Death – “Leper Colony”
Pantera – “Psycho Holiday”
Queensryche – “Queen of the Reich” Offering to the Metal Gods
Huntress – “Spell Eater”
Sargeist – “Satanic Black Devotion”
Whitechapel – “Faces” Into the Crypt
Soulfly – “Rise of the Fallen”
Grand Magus – “The Hunt”
Revocation – “Cradle Robber”
Six Feet Under – “18 Days”
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder – “Ghostmaker”
Corrosion Of Conformity – “In the Arms of God”
Devildriver – “Pray for Villains”
Cattle Decapitation – “Gristle Licker”
Kataklysm – “Iron Will” Uneasy Listening
Sleep – “Dragonaut”
Fear Factory – “Recharger”
Grand Magus – “Sword of the Ocean”
God Dethroned – “Fire Storm”
Slayer – “Behind the Crooked Cross” Slaves to Slayer
Machine Head – “Davidian”
WItchsorrow – “God Curse Us”
Cradle Of Filth – “Funeral in Carpathia” Sworn to the Black
Job For A Cowboy – “The Manipulation Stream”
Job For A Cowboy – “Nourishment Through Bloodshed”
Chimaira – “Born in Blood”
Chimaira – “Inside the Horror”
Megadeth – “The Conjuring”
Megadeth – “Wake Up Dead”
Gojira – “Explosia”
Gojira – “L’Enfent Sauvage”
Arch Enemy – “Bloodstained Cross”
Arch Enemy – “I Am Legend / Out For Blood”
Dimmu Borgir – “Stormblast”
Dimmu Borgir – “Kings of the Carnival Creation”
Deicide – “Sacrificial Suicide”
Deicide – “Deicide”

Read More: Oath Playlist 6/23/12 | 1063thebuzz.com...

So yes, it is violent, but it isnt the same to me.

Though now that I have posted this, I am going to put on the head phones and get my fill.

Nice to find another metal head on here, enjoy the playlist, If nothing else we got to talk about some great music.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Some very good tracks on that list. Where I'm from there is nothing like this on the radio, thank you iheart.

\m/

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

You try making hiphop beats then, and make one for every sub genre of hiphop. Doesn't matter if you use live instruments or electronic fl studio soundfonts. And the only hiphop that is monotonous and repetitive is radio hiphop, and that's only due to spamming of the same sound effects.

And come back when you tell me you learned how to effectively mix so that no crackling happens at the subliminal level, and how to cut low and high frequencies without altering the sound. Both are really hard in hip-hop because the ranges in frequencies basically reach or extend past the frequencies that need to be cut.
edit on 0146k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join