It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you trade God for a Eutopia?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
a reply to: ketsuko

Utopian impulses are simply the desire to make everyone everywhere a part of your group so that you are no longer threatened by the "other" in whatever form that may manifest.

Oh, you mean like heaven.

Maybe, but since no one really knows what heaven is ...

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Utopian impulses are simply the desire to make everyone everywhere a part of your group so that you are no longer threatened by the "other" in whatever form that may manifest.

No one really knows what God is either, but that doesn't stop anyone.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

I meant "failed" because you seemed to be fine with just saying "it's pretend". Now I understand (I think) what you were saying.

As for the scenario - you said I get to decide what the god is, and so forth, since it's MY personal god and MY "fake universe."

He sounds "needy" the way you presented it, and my personal god would not be so wishy-washy and lily-livered. So, I'd refuse to make that decision.

But now that you've explained it better - it is a good question.
One of those "Little Book of Big Questions" type things.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I meant "failed" because you seemed to be fine with just saying "it's pretend". Now I understand (I think) what you were saying.

As for the scenario - you said I get to decide what the god is, and so forth, since it's MY personal god and MY "fake universe."

He sounds "needy" the way you presented it, and my personal god would not be so wishy-washy and lily-livered. So, I'd refuse to make that decision.

Fine, he shows up all "hell, fire and brimstone" with lightning in his eyes and demands you choose. Lol
edit on 22-6-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It's a lot like the thread I posted a while back:

True Sacrifice

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

It's a lot like the thread I posted a while back:

True Sacrifice

Just goes to show ya, there is nothing new under the sun! :p

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Utopia is a dream.

The fact that basic human nature is evil will
forever prevent a UTOPIA from happening.

So your question is not SERIOUS.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No one really knows what God is either, but that doesn't stop anyone.

I look at this way: Since you don't believe, you won't ever have to be trapped in it. So I wouldn't worry about the horror.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

edit on 22-6-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Religion is far too important to let go and I am aware of many high profile groups and people who have tried to install a eutopia without religion.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirited75

Utopia is a dream.

The fact that basic human nature is evil will
forever prevent a UTOPIA from happening.

So your question is not SERIOUS.

It's pretend...

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Na

Utopia is overrated.

I dont know why people even entertain the idea. It can be seen as being just as absurd to religious types as atheists say religion is to them.

A utopia would end human progress and desire that has driven us as a species since our inception. It would eventually be responsible for our extinction.

edit on 6 22 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Na

Utopia is overrated.

I dont know why people even entertain the idea. It can be seen as being just as absurd to religious types as atheists say religion is to them.

A utopia would end human progress and desire that has driven us as a species since our inception. It would eventually be responsible for our extinction.

Good point.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That is (imo) a good question, ArtemisE
The age old - Would you trade your God (this reality) for that luxurious, delicious-looking, green grass, that has always been situated just out of reach...on the other side of the fence?

For me?
No.
I've got a feeling, it's no better than this side of the fence.

edit on 6/22/2014 by WanDash because: r

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Utopia is overrated.

You make some good points and I guess 'utopia' is different to everyone. Whereas you suspect it would lead to stagnation and extinction, others might see it as an opportunity for humanity to move forward.

On the one hand, an absence of wars and conflict might enable us to focus on funding ambitious humanitarian and science projects. On the other, wars and conflicts have generated many technological advances like the moon missions and even metallurgy.

Someone once said that progress is driven by the metaphorical fight between the sword and the shield. They had a point...

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
Apparently you decided not to read the OP before replying......Well played......lol.

No, I read it (more than once if you can believe it,) before responding. You say this is not a bash on religion, when it pretty much is (Not that I'm trying to defend any religions; I just call a duck a duck when I see one.) You're asking if dumping god = paradise, who wouldn't choose this? How is that not a deceptive bash on religion?

You say that Utopia won't happen in a day, but you imply that a perfect society awaits for those who throw out their personal belief system.

I think I understand your OP just fine.

edit on 22-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

A utopia is found in any full-frontal lobotomy.

No.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

A utopia is found in any full-frontal lobotomy.

No.

That's cold...and yet it makes perfect sense. In order to eliminate the potential for negativity, eliminate the potential for positivity. Law of conservation at its finest.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

a reply to: borntowatch

I would trade utopia for God, my God who welcomes, cares and loves me.

It sounds vaguely to me as though you are putting your personal satisfaction above the prosperity of everyone else. I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking for clarification.

Yeah, a thread based on gooey eyed dreams and unreasonable reality, seems I failed it

Putting my personal satisfaction first? Yes I am guilty, not in utopia, but in real life where the consequences damage real people
I think you can read in my post that I am a failure and I dont belong in a utopia.

so lets play some more, are we born in to this utopia with a clean slate and we can do anything we want, or are their laws we follow, or are we like robots? Do we have any will at all, laws, what if we break them....justice???

Oh thats right its pretend,so I will pretend I want a loving caring God who through Jesus welcomes me with open ars, though I deserve far less

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

That is very true. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so general in my phrasing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join