It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you trade God for a Eutopia?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
First off, this isn't a thread bashing religion. It's a serious question. I am not at all saying that if religion vanished next Monday, by Tuesday we have a Eutopia. Religion isn't the root of all our problems. This is a geni in a bottle type situation, a hypothetical, not reality.That said.......

Would you trade your personal religion and god, for a Eutopia?

No war, poverty, disease, pollution, rape, murder, or theft, A perfect society. Would it be worth it?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Nope.. because some bonehead would come along make up a new one and bollox everything up again ..

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Nope.. because some bonehead would come along make up a new one and bollox everything up again ..

That is the most illogical reason I've ever heard lol ! I'm just givin you $((!t, amigo. :p

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

If such a thing were possible, it would most likely be sanctioned by a God with the powers to make it so. So, yes. It's a win win all round as far as I can see.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

originally posted by: Expat888

That is the most illogical reason I've ever heard lol ! I'm just givin you $((!t, amigo. :p

Hehe.. logic doesnt apply during happy hour

No worries

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I'll invent a hypothetical god for myself in honor of a hypothetical question. Does this utopia have aging and death?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Utopia?

who's version? One person's utopia is anothers hell.

But to answer your question? No.

While religion can be hateful, and is all too often, it can also bring great beauty into the world as well. As with anything else man creates.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Sorry, I forgot to ask, there'll be beer won't there ?

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I'm an agnostic with the stench of atheism upon him so the terms might not apply to me.

Yes, I'd be prepared to exchange my lack of beliefs and idle questions for a Utopia like you describe. Of course, I'd like to see the brochure before signing anything.

As a jaded cynic of humanity, I'm with Expat on this one. Utopia would last half a day before someone started bitching that the ambient temperature was too hot. There'd be some breakaway groups choosing to live old-school and a bunch whining that 'it's too good to be true' and likely a depopulation plan of the TPTB.

Lol and of course we'd HAVE to have some asshole politicians offering to 'Build a better Utopia!

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: XxRagingxPandaxX

Yes , there's ageing and death, but all live to 95 and are happy.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Sorry, I forgot to ask, there'll be beer won't there ?

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Lots of beer, absolutely not sanctioned by god. It's supposed to bs a hard one. :p

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I would gladly trade an invisible God for a real life Utopia. I've got a God in my pocket. If you've got a Utopia, we can do a fair swap.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I would slit gods throat for a better world.....then again, I would do the same to Santa!

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Utopia?

who's version? One person's utopia is anothers hell.

But to answer your question? No.

While religion can be hateful, and is all too often, it can also bring great beauty into the world as well. As with anything else man creates.

My thread. My Eutopia, DAMN IT! Lol , just kidding. I guess it petend so everyone gets one.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Any human with some self knowledge realizes that all happiness is fleeting. Utopias turn to hells depending on your perspective.

A god, God or other divine being hopefully has a greater understanding of, or can outright grant, what we all want: to be happy, stimulated and contented all of the time. Which is why people choose to follow them.
After all, I assume that a Christian's idea of heaven is a place that you wouldn't get bored of, eventually, after a hundred thousand years of harp music.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unresponsible
After all, I assume that a Christian's idea of heaven is a place that you wouldn't get bored of, eventually, after a hundred thousand years of harp music.

Christian music is probably the main reason I find religion generally repulsive. I would rather swim in a lake of fire for eternity with Slayer blaring than listen to 5 minutes of Christian radio.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Then god. Granted all the stipulations that come with him run parallel to religions here in reality. I'll take eternal paradise over 95 years of it.

edit on 22-6-2014 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
..could the smurf village ever be a eutopia, or is it fated always be an outpost?
(..and why was there a 'papa smurf'?)

it's not the smurfs themselves who are savage, primitive & have no reason..
it's that world around them (the forest, its inhabitants & the law of the jungle)

take 'God' away from that and it's pretty bleak..

it almost begs the question, what the heck were the smurfs doing living there in the first place?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: UNIT76
..could the smurf village ever be a eutopia, or is it fated always be an outpost?
(..and why was there a 'papa smurf'?)

it's not the smurfs themselves who are savage, primitive & have no reason..
it's that world around them (the forest, its inhabitants & the law of the jungle)

take 'God' away from that and it's pretty bleak..

it almost begs the question, what the heck were the smurfs doing living there in the first place?

I'm guessing it wasn't too bad for Smurfette.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I think your premise starts off false. You're assuming a totally atheist paradigm would equal a social utopia. That just sounds like highly speculative, wishful thinking on the part of any atheist.

Until you can prove to me that atheism would indeed result in a veritable utopia, I can't answer the question. I'm not convinced there is any relationship between the two. I'm convinced people will find a way to make life a living hell for others regardless.

Until then, you're just asking if people want to do away with religion because they already think it would be better that way. Quite a loaded question!

edit on 22-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join