It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't forget to Star and Flag (S&F)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hey ladies and gents. I've been thinking about how much I have forgotten to star and flag ATS posts that I enjoy and figured many of you may go through the same. The purpose of this thread is to help people be more conscious of stars and flags. Stars and flags are the best way for the website users to figure out what is a trending topic, weather they agree or not with the topic or bring light to a topic many may not have considered. It's also great for users that post frequently about what many consider important topics because weather or not you agree with them, you can always speak to the masses when posting on popular ATS member threads.

Lets just S&F more people

With that said. I want to awkwardly ask you not to S&F this thread. I don't want the purpose of this thread to appear as me asking for more S&F because to me, it is not.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Stars and flags are the best way for the website users to figure out what is a trending topic, weather they agree or not with the topic or bring light to a topic many may not have considered.

If a poster holds back information because he does not get the stars and flags he wants, then what´s the point?
Who cares about digital stars or flags?
Just my opinion...
You can´t really trust the numbers anyways. Some use them excessive and some, like me, use them never or very seldom.
This means it can´t reflect the opinion of the mass, rather a small part.
edit on 19-6-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

Stars and flags are the best way for the website users to figure out what is a trending topic, weather they agree or not with the topic or bring light to a topic many may not have considered.

If a poster holds back information because he does not get the stars and flags he wants, then what´s the point?
Who cares about digital stars or flags?
Just my opinion...

So that others can correct the ass. We are a site of critics at the very least.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Flags may be useful for interest ranking but stars imo not. That´s just my opinion, maybe others talk now.
(Maybe the ones who gave the two stars..)
edit on 19-6-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Flags may be useful for interest ranking but stars imo not. That´s just my opinion, maybe others talk now.

Maybe, lets get this thread going. How do you guys feel about S&f?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

Maybe, lets get this thread going. How do you guys feel about S&f?

As a reader/lurker, I definitely appreciate the use of stars and flags. Flags, obviously, help me find interesting posts. Stars are useful too - when I'm really pressed for time, I'll sometimes skim a thread and only read the responses that have several stars.

Must. Not. S&F. This. Thead! Ahhh! Honoring your request, but I think you deserve a star and flag because this is a good subject matter and presented well. The use of stars and flags help me get the most out of ATS, especially as a reader. I appreciate everyone that uses them, when appropriate.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Both S+F are useless as they can be seen as an "agree/disagree" system, but an agree/disagree system only works if you can actually also disagree for example with a red star or red flag, but on the other side it then gets to complicated and will probably be misused just as the current system .

I think topics should be judged from views and comment counts but not shown as statistic .

The member status should be removed and only join date be shown, rewards to members are just silly and a base for disinfo or backpatting .

Personally i couldn't care less if it' stays or goes, i'm interested in topics not status.

edit on 19-6-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Stars and Flags are like ATS money.

You can trade them in for prizes of good Karma, Real nice Way Above status, and a beautiful stylish colored border around your thing at the bottom of your avy. I don't know what it's called....scoreboard perhaps.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The star system is broken. It's been broken for many many months. It doesn't look like anyone is going to fix it. So star counts are useless. And since stars are useless, then Karma doesn't matter either. The only counts that still work correctly are the flags and the post count. So don't worry about the star thing ..... doesn't matter.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
Both S+F are useless as they can be seen as an "agree/disagree" system, but an agree/disagree system only works if you can actually also disagree for example with a red star or red flag, but on the other side it then gets to complicated and will probably be misused just as the current system .

I think topics should be judged from views and comment counts but not shown as statistic .

The member status should be removed and only join date be shown, rewards to members are just silly and a base for disinfo or backpadding .

Personally i couldn't care less if it' stays or goes, i'm interested in topics not status.

I see what you are saying, I'm a bit indifferent about it. A lot to be argued on the topic. S&F could be a horrible thing if ignorant people in mass push ignorance by conforming to s&f. And that't not even a% of the possibilities. In conclusion, society is difficult!

edit on 19-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: My reply was in the quote text. Changed.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I very rarely post on the site, I do however give out stars to comments which I find interesting etc. But the flags...how do I give these out or have I not posted enough to be granted this ability?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Remember when you were in kindergarten and the teacher had a star ranking system, Gold for best, silver for 2nd best and all of the rest of the colors for the average loser...
That's what we got here.
Now, which of you needs a star for your self esteem?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The best threads I've ever participated in are those where I 'earned' very few stars.

People probably have no idea how much I respect a response in-thread, a PM, or staff applause.

I've so often wondered where the stars accumulated came from. Sometimes it's obvious and that's inspiring.

If there's any drawback, it's that sometimes I use stars in lieu of directly participating in the conversation. You'll rarely see me comment in threads where certain members have already said what I would. I'm still trying to figure out if that is good or bad.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The other pc, [chrome book Acer] does better on posting...on loan to my neighbor during the day, but I usually run make ups at night...yup, I'm just on a 2 hour delay..lol

Good memo,though. One question, tho...what are the trophys?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The other pc, [chrome book Acer] does better on posting...on loan to my neighbor during the day, but I usually run make ups at night...yup, I'm just on a 2 hour delay..lol

Good memo,though. One question, tho...what are the trophys?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Greywolf13A

I think this link may be the definitive answer to your question.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I could care less about stars and flags. And if YOU are? I'd get my priorities straight...life has its own rewards. And you shouldnt go looking for praise and accolades in the form of approval or "likes" and "dislikes".

Think about it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There are so many times when I forget to star and flag, even if it's one I made a comment in, but I do go back that day or soon after to give the star and flag.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I'm always mildly amused by the occasional posters on my threads who write "S & F" but don't actually do anything to add one or the other. It's easy to tell, because my threads pick up stars and flags very slowly, so it's obvious enough when the number fails to go up. Perhaps they have picked up the expression from other posters without quite understanding what it means.

One plea about the value of stars and flags; in the absence of "view" statistics, stars and flags are at least indirect evidence that the thread is being read. This can be encouraging if the responses are coming slowly. Very often the first flag that appears on a new thread might be the earliest sign that anyone has even seen it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

With that said. I want to awkwardly ask you not to S&F this thread.

Asking to star and flag your own thread is quite pathetic. You do realize you can't do ANYTHING with them right?

I don't want the purpose of this thread to appear as me asking for more S&F because to me, it is not.

Oh then WHY even ask?!?!?!?

Sorry but this site has gotten ridiculous with all the attention seekers begging to be flagged or starred.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join