It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Tribe Called Red’s “Caucasians” T-shirt sparks accusations of racism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A Tribe Called Red’s “Caucasians” T-shirt sparks accusations of racism

The First Nations trio A Tribe Called Red has apparently sparked calls for a boycott after one of its members wore a T-shirt that plays off the logo of the Cleveland Indians baseball team.

Hypocrisy at it's best. It is Ok for teams to use racist names and logos but when an Native American group turns it around on them..they scream racism..

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

You know the "Redskins" lost their logo?

Something about the copyright.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What a clever idea they had there. Not so much the idea of the logo inversion... but to actually bait people into calling them racist... showing their own stupidity and hypocrisy.
Kudos to A Tribe Called Red!

Just to be clear, I believe that anyone should be able to run around with whatever they want on their shirts.
edit on b000000302014-06-18T15:10:23-05:0003America/ChicagoWed, 18 Jun 2014 15:10:23 -0500300000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Who are they to call us Caucasians?

(LMAO!)

Edit - Don't we have bigger things to worry about? Who the # cares?

edit on 18-6-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I ordered one of those shirts last week.
After this story hit the internet, there is a shortage of those shirts and I have to wait a while for mine to come in.
I think the shirt is hilarious.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If I were Native American, I'd be more upset that my people were more or less exterminated than by a cartoon on a team jersey. I'm Caucasian and would not be offended by the use of the term in any context that I can think of.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The fact that the world is on fire , and the US has so many other huge issues going on, That THIS is even in the news makes me sick to my fricken stomach...........

we have become the movie Idiocracy
edit on 6/18/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The only problem I have with this as a white dude is that they would end up being called The Caucs. Think about it.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The only problem I have with this as a white dude is that they would end up being called The Caucs. Think about it.

LMAO!!!!

Explain.....elaborate.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am 'caucasian' and I am not offended by this in the least. Seriously, who actually complained about this as racism? It is a gag to get them noticed. People need to grow a pair..especially the morons in DC.

edit on 2014/6/18 by Metallicus because: Edited to be 'PC'

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Seems to be more than just the shirt:

Campeau also posted a screenshot of one email allegedly received by the concert promoter. It reads in part: “I must take issue with you booking a racist, hypocritical band, A Tribe Called Red. If any non-Native band featured some of the song they do like Indian Girl, no doubt TRC member, Ian Campeau, who has been showing wearing a racist t-shirt, would be making a complaint to the human rights commission”.

Whiny nanny types are everywhere. From Tipper Gore and her Parental Advisory crap to force of government being used to change the name of a sports team.

Everybody needs to get back to minding their own business. If you're skin isnt thick enough to deal with it just move on.
edit on 18-6-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

From the article they apparently generated *drumroll please*
One (1) email complaint!

Seriously? They managed to get one person to take their bait and that was all it took to generate a news article and a thread on ATS about it?

*yawn*

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Well that term is offensive and do you know what it actually means?

, A 'Redskin' Does, In Fact, Mean the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash

an excerpt from The Daily Republican newspaper in Winona, Minnesota from Sept. 24, 1863. It reads:

The State reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth.

The fact remains that to many Native Americans, the term “redskin” has long meant the act of our ancestor’s scalps being collected for bounty.

But hey we should just get over it..

Funny how white people think we should just get over our almost being completely wiped off the Earth or how we are the minority on our own land. Yeah let's get over it..but white holocausts or tragedies..9/11 ..Jewish one...NEVER FORGET..

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

Funny how white people think we should just get over our almost being completely wiped off the Earth or how we are the minority on our own land. Yeah let's get over it..but white holocausts or tragedies..9/11 ..Jewish one...NEVER FORGET..

Well, yeah, you should. I don't give two #s about 9/11 or any other "tragedy."

If native Americans want to hold a grudge what happened to AIM? There was a real movement to gain back some real ground and really put the hurt on the enemy who took everything.

But, nah, don't actually fight a battle over something that matters. Bitch until you get a logo changed.

Last time I checked Leonard Peltier was still behind bars.

This logo nonsense is exemplary of what's happened the world over to real causes. Nobody wants to risk anything for real change so token victory replaces actual conflict.

Sort of how sports have taken over that primal place in mans heart that once drove him to action.

Forget about broken treaties, ghettos, reservations and death marches. We've got a logo changed! Woo-hoo!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I personally don't care that much at all and actually think that it's pretty funny.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

Forget about broken treaties, ghettos, reservations and death marches. We've got a logo changed! Woo-hoo!

You do know we also fight about those issues too. This is just part of the fight.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

You do know we also fight about those issues too. This is just part of the fight.

And it's the only one that will ever matter.

Have you paid any attention to the indigenous people of Canada or Australia? Token empty wins every couple of years to make it seem like the occupiers care while they are further marginalized year after year.

This logo change is native Americans bone to get you to quit bitching.

Why do you think MSM pushed it so loudly so quickly while not once mentioning Leonard, Indigenous Human Rights, reparations bound by law, fed action at Wounded Knee? It's the token cause to make the white people feel better about what they did and to make the natives feel like they're still getting somewhere.

Just for giggles I looked up what AIM is into now that they've lost their spine entirely and it's all empty nonsense about sports mascots and depictions in television.

Justice is over with I guess. It's all about PR now and making sure you look nice on Facebook.

Welcome to the pointless and never ending whining that gets you nowhere that the indigenous around the world participate in.

Same happened to blacks in America and the Panthers. Link to AIM coinintelpro docs.

They shift the focus from things that matter to things that don't.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This has been done before, back around 2003.

www.cafepress.com...

It blew up in their faces as I recall. Instead of mocking the white man and "raising awareness" the whites embraced the idea and they sold out their shirts in record time.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm thinking that the person who "complained" was actually in on it.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity

Who are they to call us Caucasians?

(LMAO!)

Edit - Don't we have bigger things to worry about? Who the [Expletive removed] cares?

I couldn't have said it better myself.

2nd

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join