It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Dangerous Drug and Food Combinations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So I was reading threw a back issue of Men's Health while waiting for a doctors appointment and was surprised to read.

The grub on your plate could render your meds ineffective—or worse

Okay so we all know not to take Dairy products and antibiotics... it says so right on the label .

But I never would have guessed that Erectile Dysfunction Drugs and Grapefruit could really, really hurt you!
Turns out Grapefruit makes those drugs more potent and at first that sounds like a good thing until it says

This may seem like a boon to some men, but it could trigger headaches symptomatic of fatal or near fatal conditions, flushing, or low blood pressure.

Limes and cough medicine can give you hallucinations!

Eating Smoked meats while taking some types antidepressants can cause life-threatening spikes in blood pressure--- Who knew?

I was stunned to see Apple juice and allergy meds. Actually it says if you drink Apple, orange or grapefruit juice Allegra will not work at all.

Something they didn't cover in the article is that Digoxin (Digitalis, Digitek, Lanoxin) . a heart med---can be greatly effected by the herbs you eat.

Herb use can also affect digoxin. For example, ginseng can elevate blood levels of digoxin by as much as 75%, while St. John’s Wort decreases blood levels of this drug by 25%.

Lastly they talked about Chocolate and Ritalin. We all know Ritalin has become the drug of choice to treat hyper kids, but I had no idea if you add chocolate on top of,

Combining all these stimulants in humans can potentially lead to erratic behavior and seizures

that's like D-Yam man ---has anyone ever told those kids parents about that?

Here again is the link to the article go check it out
edit on 18-6-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If one is taking a drug which is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, eating foods rich in tyramine, such as aged cheeses, or drinking fermented beverages can cause potentially fatal hypertension and blood pressure spikes.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
They use Ammonium Chloride in Uncle Ben's ready rice, I was like really wtf I used to work in a galvanization and metal plant and know Ammonia mixed with Hydrochloric acid makes Ammonium Chloride, the vapors are toxic and can be fatal. I wasn't aware it was a food chemical but apparently it is and it is A-OK to use, I still don't buy it and I stopped buying the instant rice and Uncle Ben's rice altogether because of it.
edit on 18-6-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I think I'll be okay with that one...
Unless canned spray cheese falls under that aged cheeses category?

Emmm-mmm Spray Cheese---

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wanted to add because

Glutamic acid, haloperidol, lithium carbonate, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), PPIs (eg, lansoprazole, omeprazole), reserpine, urinary acidifiers (eg, methenamine, ammonium chloride), or vitamin C (ascorbic acid) because they may decrease Adderall's effectiveness

it can eff up your Adderall and lots of people are on that

Link

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
Okay so we all know not to take Dairy products and antibiotics... it says so right on the label .

WHAT? OH CRAP!! Really?

I"m on 1750 a day Amoxicillian treatment for 10 days. I'm on day five. I just rechecked the information .. there is nothing about staying away from dairy. In fact, the pharmacist said to eat yogurt while I'm taking it.

Someone talk to me .... what's this dairy/antibiotic thing???

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

My favorite WTF food comes right from the label of a Vienna sausage can

Mechanically separated chicken parts--- yummers right?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Here the full blip from the story

Dairy products and antibiotics. Some antibiotics, including Cipro, bind to calcium, iron, and other minerals in milk-based foods. “This prevents the absorption of the antibiotics, ultimately decreasing their ability to fight infections,” Gullickson says. When you get a new prescription for acne or an infection, ask if the drug falls into a class known as tetracyclines or flouroquinolones. If so, avoid milk, yogurt, and cheese 2 hours before and after taking the pills. And talk with your pharmacist about proper timing if you take multivitamins with minerals—they can have a similar effect, Gullickson says

I think the key word there is ""Some antibiotics"" Not all...when in doubt call the doctors office and ask.

edit on 18-6-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I was told that taking Aspirin and Coca Cola would give you a high because it converted the caffeine into coc aine or something similar. People would take the pills along with a glass of coke to wash them down.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You should read the label on a slim jim very similar yet different thinking on it for a moment reminds me of the Hooters slogan "tacky yet un refined" lol brings me back to the USMC days in field chow old company Gunny "Come get it boys A$$holes and Lips get em while they are piping hot!"

We used to joke that it is the last generations grandmas that always pack our lunches during war, WW2 grandma from WW1 packed the chow, Korea got the left overs from WW2, Vietnam WW2 grandma made dinner, Grandma from desert storm fed OIF and OEF, its a vicious cycle of leftovers, for emerging wars I want the ladies of todays generation to know that they will be packing lunch for my son whenever he gets here.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Noted: Limes and cough medicine added to grocery list.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Amphetamine-based medicines are better absorbed in an alkaline environment.

In theory, Adderall would be better absorbed when taken with antacids.

Anything acidic, it struggles.

I read somewhere once that high-dose vit C is an effective treatment for amphetamine poisoning.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
I was told that taking Aspirin and Coca Cola would give you a high because it converted the caffeine into coc aine or something similar. People would take the pills along with a glass of coke to wash them down.

Wouldn't that work equally well with tea and coffee?

link   

Something a bit worse is a food product called 'potted meat food product'. It contains the mechanically separated chicken... plus tripe and a bonus... partially defatted beef fatty tissue. Extra yummy.

link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Im just reporting what I read and also an observation of something read on the back of a food container is all, I am not a doctor and in no way endorse telling people to not do what their doc says. I do know that Ammonium Chloride is toxic in the forms I used to regularly work with it in and cannot see myself eating something with memories of how the crap looks forming on ends of vats wearing respirators and such for the clean up in suits makes me sick remembering that job yuck!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Something a bit worse is a food product called 'potted meat food product'. It contains the mechanically separated chicken... plus tripe and a bonus... partially defatted beef fatty tissue. Extra yummy.

Just like mom used to make MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm MMMmmmmmmmm "Mikey he really likes it"

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I've eaten it on crackers. It is not too great.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Potted Meat works great as bait to catch snappers

LMFAO "My cat thinks its time eat" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
When south of the border down on the west coast,

It's been my experience that mixing Fish taco's and Peligroso Blanco tequila, truly is a dangerous combination.

Stick with Carta Blanca and you should be ok.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well hydrogen cyanide and well everything

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join