It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well! This has been cooking for a long time.What are your thoughts ATS'ers? Should they be able to keep the name Redskins?

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Patent Office ruled Wednesday that the Washington Redskins nickname is "disparaging of Native Americans" and that the team's federal trademarks for the name must be canceled.

The 2-1 ruling comes after a campaign to change the name has gained momentum over the past year. The team doesn't immediately lose trademark protection and is allowed to retain it during an appea

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

I don't understand all these years of the same name the trademark board says that this year the name is disparaging to Americans? This whole PC bs is getting old.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

It was fine for decades. How fake is the whole system.

I think they should do the same action on Exxon, General Electric, Citi Bank, Coke, and a hundred more.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Has government nothing better to do?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Not until they reprogram the American people.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

so redskins bad? but cleaveland indians , et al aren't?

just maybe the redskins owner po'ed someone off?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Considering they've had the name for going on 82 years...this is overstepping on the part of the trademark commission.

This will effect so many people not even being taken account of. Like the little guys who are vendors for the Redskin trademarked promotional items. Like shirts and all the other Redskins trademarked protected items.

Losing the trademark means all those items can be boot legged in China and flood the market, putting people out of work.

Great job there, taking money out of the pockets of the little guys...

Being PC, as it's viewed now....has run amuck in this Country. It's divisive, and runs counter to freedom of speech.

JMOHO...

Des

edit on 18-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy

Or the cowboys, when I think of cowboys I think of tombstone and cattle thieves, murderers and drunks. Change their name.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone
^^^ yeah, that. I think you nailed it.

This whole thing is stupid.
And the majority of native Americans don't care.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Or the cowboys, when I think of cowboys I think of tombstone and cattle thieves, murderers and drunks. Change their name.

I personally am against the washinton DC wizards..

All the pagan's should be in an uproar... what if it was the washington dc witches?

HOW NICE OF THESE PIGS

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

How about the N.Y. Giants? Is their name insulting to the so called ancient Giants found all over the world ?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

How about the N.Y. Giants? Is their name insulting to the so called ancient Giants found all over the world ?

You know, now I think about it, I have a friend who is a midget, and the NY GIANTS their name makes him feel small..

I am now against them too

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Exacxtly.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

also, how about the fighting irish? kinda insulting to the irish, right?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

You know, now I think about it, I have a friend who is a midget, and the NY GIANTS their name makes him feel small..

I am now against them too

You mean little person or small people.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, The Toronto Make Believes still call themselves a hockey team.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Your right... plus the original meaning for Cowboy was a curse word "someone who smells like cow shiz." Back in the day you could get shot if you called someone a cowboy... that is till Hollywood beatified the word.

So what's next; ban on old western movies with indians getting shot....

The trendy selfie upper-class is to blame, they take a simple word and make a big deal out of it on twitter, facebook or on some stupid government forced talk show!!!

edit on 18-6-2014 by imitator because: tired and sleepy

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Destinyone
^^^ yeah, that. I think you nailed it.

This whole thing is stupid.
And the majority of native Americans don't care.

Exactly. What next....don't like your neighbors last name, find it offensive? Sue to make them change it? The fact that Harry Reid is on the Senate floor, wasting Senate time pushing these agendas shows me they are THAT desperate for the votes of 5 Native Americans who brought the lawsuit in the first place.

Now, like dominoes falling, we'll see other long term NFL teams to lose their names. The Seminoles, Trojans and anything any one finds offensive.

The dumbing down of America, is in full effect.

Des

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Soon "Fahrenheit 451" will be just as prophetic as "1984"!

The "Politically Correct" thought Nazis are destroying the Freedom of Speech.......

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Does the Apache HTTP server need to be renamed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join