It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska quake swarm thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well, like Oklahoma, Alaska is having it's share of very odd earthquake swarms. Odd meaning that they generally don't occur in the regions effected.

The series of earthquakes has scientists puzzled about activity that is considered very unusual in the area. "At this point, we don't really understand the nature of these earthquakes," Ruppert said.

abcnews.go.com...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

-problem is it seems to be getting worse as there's a 3+ pretty much once every few hours, all over Alaska.
The pressure is crazy..

If I lived there I'd spend a few minutes getting a kit ready aka water and such, hell I might do it (in British Columbia) as well.

edit on 17-6-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
S&F for keeping on top of this. I am basically replying so I can keep an eye on this thread easier.

I hope all Alaskans and our members who hail from there stay safe. It can be a lot more scary for folks to go through these things when they are not used to it. It would definitely keep me on edge.

Hopefully nothing happens to the magnitude that Sarah Palin can see Russia much better from her house than before. (I had to even though I like her)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Interesting. I like it when experts say they can't explain what is happening. At least they are honest instead of making up some sort of fantasy about being normal compared to another area.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Funny thing about the small medium ones, we never know whether they're stress relievers (generally they are) or the ramping up of stress. I guess it all has to do with where you are in relation to the fault lines. : )

edit on 17-6-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Funny thing about the small medium ones, we never know whether they're stress relievers (generally they are) or the ramping up of stress. I guess it all has to do with where you are in relation to the fault lines.

I would live in constant fear that it was ramping up. I have only felt one earthquake in my lifetime. That was a few years back and it was so slight it took me a minute to figure out what it was. It felt like a big rig rolled through and was rattling the floors in my house.... only not. It was one of the oddest sensations I have ever felt. Almost like someone hit a tuning fork inside my brain. I know how stupid that sounds. It can't possibly makes sense, but I can't think of another description.

Here in Virginia, we just don't get activity like that. I think it's odd that when folks grow up with certain things (like earthquakes, hurricanes, and tornados) they just are not usually bothered with them unless they are of monstrous proportions.

Oh! Another quake... Finish your breakfast Timmy.

edit on 6/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I was reading that article earlier and wondered what, if any influence, the melting of the polar permafrost might be having on things. Icebergs are the current tourist attraction in Newfoundland, so although I can't take this any farther than I have, it will be interesting to see if this becomes an annual 'seasonal thing'. Hey, don't laugh, they can't explain it at all either.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Interesting! Hopefully this doesn't jostle loose any bigger quakes down here.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
pressure released! (hopefully that's it) - I was actually expecting something after last weeks crazy swarms.
-shameless bump,
-carry on

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
way to close to fuuckushima,,,,eyes open,,

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Oh boy, here we go...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Just energy transferring from north to south over or through the apple core (NZ) following solar weather.

Alot more to come.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

7.9. ouch.
glad it hit in the empty part.

"An initial tsunami advisory has been canceled for coastal Alaska. One had been issued after a magnitude 7.9 earthquake struck Monday about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska.
The quake had a depth of 71 miles, according to seismologists.
The town of Adak evacuated its 150 residents to a shelter about 600 feet above sea level after the initial tsunami warning, City Manager Layton Lockett told CNN.
There were no initial reports of quake damage in Adak or on Shemya Island, said Ian Dickson, website manager for the Alaska Earthquake Information Center.
Dickson said there were 17 measurable aftershocks in the two hours after the quake.
First estimates put the quake at magnitude 8.0. The strength was subsequently set by the U.S. Geological Survey at 7.9 magnitude.
Quakes hit near New Zealand; no immediate reports of damage."

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
No swarm at all. What are you talking about? We are on the Ring of Fire.

Lots of aftershocks, after an earthquake of that size are normal. There is simply nothing at all unusual about this.

# of earthquakes per year here -
Daily = 50-100
Weekly = 400-700
Monthly = 1500-3000
Yearly = ~24000
1 M > 8 every 13 years

1 M = 7-8 every year

5 M = 6-7 every year

20 M = 5-6 every year

90 M = 4-5 every year

400 M = 3-4 every year

2100 M = 2-3 every year

2,100 over 2 and I'm sure many thousands under magnitude 2.

The Tsunami warning was called off before it even hit the alert system on radio and TV.

If you want to learn, this is a good place to start or go to the USGS.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com... ific-ocean-david-oppenheimer-usgs/

Alaska and New Zealand quakes might be related

*Oppenheimer said it is possible the New Zealand quake triggered the Alaska quake.
“The timing of it is such that we call the surface waves, the waves that travel around the circumference of the earth, arrived about the time the earthquake occurred, Oppenheimer said. The USGS scientist said more study would be needed.*

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs
So energy transfer is simply down to surface and cant actually go through the earth?

My own theory is the charge going in and out. In north out south or vice versa.
Wonder what volcanic activity there is.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
What is going on...All the Heliplots for USGS have not been updated since:
These data update automatically every 30 minutes.
Last update: June 23, 2014 20:37:28 UTC
GSN Heliplots
and
ANSS Backbone Heliplotss

All updating stopped hours after the Alaska quake

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

Rocking and rolling today, big quakes as well across the globe.

-a little more than normal hence the post.

edit on 29-6-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join