It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Capable Of Calculating 640TBs Of Data In One Billionth Of A Second (available to public by

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Ok... I have to say it and Im sorry.

But its HP....

eewwwwww

*run off into the night*

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Im sure Sony and Microsoft will be fighting to get this technology into the PS5 and Xbox Two 360720

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This reminds me of the jump between giant room sized computers to personal computing. It's phenomenal, though I also don't think that it goes outside Moore's Law. It was only a matter of time before technology made a leap such as this again.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Who was it that said a pc would never need more than 650K of memory?

It was Bill Gates, except he never said it.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
Im sure Sony and Microsoft will be fighting to get this technology into the PS5 and Xbox Two 360720

Naw, it'll be the Xbox Two 360720 Eternal Everlasting Infinite Deluxe Edition Super System Thingamajig. And it will be signed by the team responsible for GTA...after they release GTA 15: Seriously, Not This S*** Again.

edit on 18-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Finally a cpu that can power a holographic projector, seriously that has been the bottleneck in producing holographic imagery and this may be fast enough to process it,.
This is cool and if the civil technology is developing it now then the odds are that some branch of the military will already be using vastly more expensive versions and this is also what we will need once it has been reduced to a usable size for the neural implants of the mid 21st century if we ever see them and even artifical brains if googles projection of downloading the human mind is right.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Finally a cpu that can power a holographic projector, seriously that has been the bottleneck in producing holographic imagery and this may be fast enough to process it,.
This is cool and if the civil technology is developing it now then the odds are that some branch of the military will already be using vastly more expensive versions and this is also what we will need once it has been reduced to a usable size for the neural implants of the mid 21st century if we ever see them and even artifical brains if googles projection of downloading the human mind is right.

Pfft. It's generally a safe bet that by the time any technology reaches commercial markets, it's already yesterday's news by military standards.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oh nice. a 100k FB and YT machine.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

It's amazing seeing this.
Not only is it very impressive and not even released to the public... But it reminds me of cellphones from the '80s.

In 20-30 years we will be laughing at that thing, while right now we are marvelling.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'm sure this is just the public disclosure of such technology. I have a feeling this kind of "computer" has been around for at least a decade if not more.

Gee, I wonder who would have use for a machine like that....?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I've been seeing talk of smart-phone sized devices being able to project 2d displays and even potentially holographic displays. So there's a potential that you could have a 13x13 display on your smartphone - not because it has a 13x13 display but because it's projecting it onto a surface or into midair.

I'm still skeptical. CPU's, for example. Their frequency doesn't really go up - they just keep adding cores. Too much heat generated. I know CPU's are faster htan 5 years ago, but the gains I think are in efficiently using the cores and in processing more instructions in parallel per cycle.
edit on 18-6-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
I've been seeing talk of smart-phone sized devices being able to project 2d displays and even potentially holographic displays. So there's a potential that you could have a 13x13 display on your smartphone - not because it has a 13x13 display but because it's projecting it onto a surface or into midair. This isn't distant future either.

I always like tech stuff. Can't explain it. It's like how some people love muscle cars or guns or baseball. I like looking at information.

Like a phone that operates off of a hydrogen cell battery, and uses the resulting liquid to generate a "mist screen", on which is projected the information that would otherwise be presented on a conventional display.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I suppose that it would be wrong to say that the average person would have absolutely never, even have a need for such a 200Tb smartphone, but that won't stop them from being put into the marketplace. Honestly, who is going to NEED that much power in a handheld?

Yeah, but remember that IBM couldn't envision that anyone would ever have a need to have more than 640K bytes base memory in a desktop...i actually remember those days!

I'd imagine within 10 years or so of the appearence of a 200Tb smartphone, that same 200Tb smartphone will seem quite quaint.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

This is more than a beefy computer component. This is technology that will be used in all devices. From phones to watches, to trains.

A new open source OS too...

This is a new type of computing technology all together.

Wow. It looks insane.

If AI is ever developed, this is the hardware it will need to become a usable tool.

edit on 6 18 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Can't wait for the real "next gen" consoles. These new ones are already using ancient hardware.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

This is more than a beefy computer. This is technology that will be used in all devices. From phones to watches, to trains.

A new open source OS too...

This is a new type of computing technology all together.

A new OS? What's it called? Oh goody, this should be fun...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: Clasper

I suppose that it would be wrong to say that the average person would have absolutely never, even have a need for such a 200Tb smartphone, but that won't stop them from being put into the marketplace. Honestly, who is going to NEED that much power in a handheld?

(well, to rebut myself, I can imagine such a device could be programed to be an instant two-way translator of every language in the world, putting the transposed words of each language into the proper conversational context for the other. An old sci-fi dream come to life, no one would need to bother to learn another language.)

In the early 90s, nobody ever thought anyone would fill up a hundred Megabytes. It's not likely that anyone will ever fill that much data with books or notes; but as multimedia grows, so do the space requirements. The company I work for ( contrary to my advisement ) still encodes video at 640x480, and five hours will generate a gigabyte of data. If we were to double that ( which we very well should, as well as moving to widescreen... ), math would dictate that we would end up with two gigs of data for the same information. Considering that resolutions are growing Far beyond what I'm talking about here, when you start dealing with things like... For instance... The 24 hours of Le Mans; if it were to be recorded at 20000 frames at 2560 resolution ( like it should damnit! ), I'd bet you're looking at terrabytes of data. That's just one example.

This system will completely innovate computing systems will be fast. The processing, moving, and storing of information is unheard of. They are having redesign the OS for this to manage the petabytes (1 PB = 1000000000000000B = 1015bytes = 1000terabytes) of information using less energy.

I have to. This equation is just... wrong.

In computer science, sizes are calculated in multiples of 8. Any step from 'Kilo' to 'Mega' to 'Giga' to 'Terra' to 'Peta' is a calculation by 1024. A kilobyte is 1024 Bytes, a megabyte is 1024 Kilobytes, and so on.

----------------------------------------------

Grimpachi noted something about games that is spot on - We actually have 'scientific theories' that apply to gaming that simply have not been able to be tested because this device has not existed until now; as a software engineer, and one that has a particular fondness for the gaming industry, I can personally say that if given a piece of hardware like this - the First thing I would do is see how much work I can actually put it through - by procedural generation of a universe, probably.

To this day, not a single game exists that -seamlessly- transfers a player from space to land or vice-versa. Sounds simple right? Sadly not - In order to ( properly & beautifully ) render all of those graphics to the screen, the players computer must calculate every object in view ( that's the planet, visible space, everything flying around nearby, every object on the planet - plants, animals, structures, items, etc - Millions... ), scale them all to the appropriate size for distance relationships, layer all of these objects on top of one another, and finally produce a picture - 30+ times a second.

When you are talking about doing something of this proportion in a multiplayer environment, this sort of hardware is Exactly what the doctor ordered. Actively, there are 'farms' of hundreds of servers all around the world that all link together to attempt to provide communication between gamers for things like MMOs ( Massively Multiplayer Online Games ); that rarely do so without problems. When a hundred servers can't maintain 30000 people, but one can maintain a million - this means that that hundred-server farm; just turned into a broom closet with an AC unit.

To veer away from the gaming topic ( even though I'm having fun ); this also has huge applications for companies like Google, for instance. Google and its Petabyte(s) of data ( not storage... actual data... ) has farms similar to the aforementioned that span football fields. Football fields that, again, turn into broom closets.

All said and done - this is a huge leap for computing and I'm stoked. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Wonder what the NSA is gonna do with em...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

I have to. This equation is just... wrong.

In computer science, sizes are calculated in multiples of 8. Any step from 'Kilo' to 'Mega' to 'Giga' to 'Terra' to 'Peta' is a calculation by 1024. A kilobyte is 1024 Bytes, a megabyte is 1024 Kilobytes, and so on.

Its cool. Until the other day I hadn't even heard of a petabyte so I figured maybe some others hadn't either. I pulled the formula off of Wiki. Well it serves me right I guess being wrong.

Eh --live and learn.

Side note- The other day I was also reading up on some DARPA projects and they said one of the limitations they have encountered with walking robot applications has been power consumption and processing speed for their little mechanical friends. Seems like this will solve most of those problems. You think?

Terminator coming soon to a street near you.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Text According to HP, The Machine can manage 160 petabytes of data in a mere 250 nanoseconds. 

If my calculations are correct, that's 64 billion gigs of data transfer per second.

Daaaauuum!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Clasper
This is amazing! Amazing find! It's going to be the first public nano computer available and I guess it's going to be from HP. I just can't help but think that all this is, is the first stages of nano-tech. I'm only half way through, but I just had to reply when I heard him talk about ions. This is way beyond me but I am going to get into this one. Ok, now to finish watching the rest of this. Just amazing stuff, technology never ceases to amaze me, and anyone else following this knows this is starting to turn into a freaky show.

I read a lot about this the other day... HP is putting their life on the line with this because they've been falling behind... this will make or break them as a company essentially.

The key is the memristor technology, several companies have been racing to develop their own versions of that component and they are all very close to passing HP... so that's why HP is making a big deal about this publicaly to get a foothold before someone beats them to the punch.

HP's stock has been on a decline for 4-5 straight years, only gradually going back up in the last year

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join