It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Proposes Truce to Kurdish Peshmerga South of Kirkuk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

The Kurdish Peshmerga said on Sunday that a security belt they have created on the southern edges of Tuz Khurmatu has prevented the militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) from bringing their fight to the Kurdish areas.

A Peshmerga officer in the area also told Rudaw that the ISIS have contacted them by courier, saying, “If you don't attack us, we would not attack you.”

According to information provided by the Peshmerga forces, the ISIS checkpoint is only half a kilometer away from the Kurdish forces and that via taxi drivers on the road, the militants have asked for reassurance that they will not be attacked from the north.

ISIS Proposes Truce to Kurdish Peshmerga South of Kirkuk

I'm not sure if Rudaw is a legitimate news outlet, but it seems to be a trustworthy Kurdish publisher.

ISIS has informally asked for a truce with the Kurds, stating that no attacks will be made on them if ISIS is left alone. This comes after the capture of Peshmerga and ISIS forces, by both sides. It will be interesting to see if they engage in prisoner swaps after the request of such a truce.

My personal take is that the Kurds should be wary in accepting any kind of truce, especially with the likes of ISIS. My guess is that if ISIS takes Baghdad, it would only be a matter of time before they advance on Kurdistan. They seem real confident in themselves, so i wouldn't put it past them.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I don't know what ISIS would want to achieve in a war with the Kurds - they are fighting against Sunnits, because those are the heretics..

There is no cause for a war with the Kurds. The government acted very much in favor for the Sunnits, so the Shiites (about 99.9% of ISIS forces) were disappointed to the point of rebellion and civil war.

There are 3 forces in Iraq: Sunnites, Shiites and.. Kurds.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
sounds like the Kurds made a deal before it even kicked off.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I think you've got your teams mixed up, mate. Although I don't believe this is as much about religious sects as it is about removing democracy and any affiliation with the American instated government.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

While I do believe that ISIS currently has balls the size of thunder eggs, I seriously doubt that would want to wake the monster that lies beyond, that monster being Turkey.

Well armed, well trained.

I do realise there is an element of separatism with respect to the Kurds and Turkey, on this front though I believe they would be united, so good luck ISIS.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
ISIS will be the whipping boy for the Shiites and the Kurds when this gets rolling....especially with a little airpower from
likely sources....

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

I don't know what ISIS would want to achieve in a war with the Kurds - they are fighting against Sunnits, because those are the heretics..

There is no cause for a war with the Kurds. The government acted very much in favor for the Sunnits, so the Shiites (about 99.9% of ISIS forces) were disappointed to the point of rebellion and civil war.

There are 3 forces in Iraq: Sunnites, Shiites and.. Kurds.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm well aware of the three major ethnic and religious groups in Iraq, but i have to clarify something. ISIS is not only fighting against the Shia majority of Iraq, they have been fighting individuals of other religious beliefs and ethnic backgrounds too. They pretty much fight anyone and everyone who stands in their way.

If they didn't want war with the Kurds, they would not have assaulted Kurdish-majority towns in northern Iraq (not in Iraqi Kurdistan). They have already had firefights with the Kurdish Peshmerga as a result of these small operations. Some have also been caught on operations around Kirkut.

I agree that there isn't much incentive to fight the Kurds, now, as they will be opening up war on three fronts; Syria, iraq and Kurdistan. But since they're gunning for land, whose to say that they won't try in the future? The 200, 000 personnel of the Peshmerga? The 800, 000 personnel of the Iraqi Armed forces haven't phased ISIS...

Personally, i am willing to say that they might go for Kurdistan, but they may be more focused on Syria once (if) they take Baghdad. Sure, the Peshmerga would probably destroy them, but i wouldn't trust ISIS to stick to their word, and i would expect them to at least have a go (which they sort have already done).

Thanks.
edit on 17-6-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

While I do believe that ISIS currently has balls the size of thunder eggs, I seriously doubt that would want to wake the monster that lies beyond, that monster being Turkey.

Well armed, well trained.

I do realise there is an element of separatism with respect to the Kurds and Turkey, on this front though I believe they would be united, so good luck ISIS.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

I think you are correct. ISIS released their Turkish prisoners pretty quickly, haha. Iraqi Kurdistan has had deep relations with Turkey as of late, so i would expect some form of solidarity on that front. That said, I'm not sure if it would completely dissuade ISIS from attempting to take Kurdish land, but if the truce stands, i believe it would be a long time before we see any such action from ISIS (they would still be dealing with Syria and southern Iraq).

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I get your message, but with all due respect

edit on 6/17/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Yes if they take Bagdad they can arm themselves with tanks and heavy artillery, haul it into Syria and change the game up.

Kurds should use this opportunity to set up its own state. Besides they don't have any love for Assad.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
My personal take is that the Kurds should be wary in accepting any kind of truce, especially with the likes of ISIS. My guess is that if ISIS takes Baghdad, it would only be a matter of time before they advance on Kurdistan. They seem real confident in themselves, so i wouldn't put it past them.

You're personal take, is an error.

For them to advance against the kurds, would be a tactical error on their half. Which is why they "should" build ties, with the kurdish forces. As these forces, serve to isolate them against allied forces in Turkey and against Iranian forces. Which makes them capable of focusing on Iraq.

Which, of course, is also their Achiles heel. As allied forces, will most likely tell their "dog on a leash", otherwise known as Al Qaida, to dress up as good samaritans (irony) and attack in the name of ISIS. Which will severe the isolation, and open the gate for allied forces or their "puppets" through turkey.

Which gives ISIS very few options, as their recent advances have mostly been due to scare tactics and luck. They'll have to do some serious butt-patting somewhere, to stop advances from the north, while they head south.

Of course, they're bound to make the "mistake" to think that Iran is an ally ... and they'll probably lose soon, unless they have something up their slieves.

new topics

top topics

join