It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikorsky passes power on test with S-97 Raider

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_
Most current drawings show only two hardpoints, but I imagine that would change at somepoint.

It's kind of weird, but at the 2011 Army Conference, they showed an attack variant with only 2 hardpoints as well.

That aside, if you think this one is sexy, wait until you see the attack variants...just sleeker and sexier.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

This is definitely one of the more interesting designs I've seen.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The attack version has stub wings with two hardpoints (four, if we count the rails), but it also has an internal bay a la Commanche and a chin turret.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_

The attack version has stub wings with two hardpoints (four, if we count the rails), but it also has an internal bay a la Commanche and a chin turret.

Lol...well, it was just a promo model...

I am curios though, based on the model at the show, the internal bays appeared to open under the wings, wouldn't that conflict with anything mounted under the wings? Or, did the internal bays change?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

That's why the hardpoints are mounted way out on the stub wings
I've seen a presentation with the bays open and the hardpoints in use, but I can't remember where, and I'm on my tab at the moment. The set up is very much like the Commanche which had bolt on stubs for extra armament. The bay looks near identical. 3 Hellfire per side.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Not what I was looking for, but here's the patent with drawings:
www.google.com...

Shows four per bay. Here was also an unmanned missile-truck using X2 technology in the presentation I saw. It's floating about somewhere too

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

It seams like this design would lend itself to a stealth treatment. It has less "pointy" (technical term) things to reflect radar than most helos in the current inventory. The chin mounted gun, mast between the rotors and rotor hubs seam suggest they were thinking of RCS reduction as much as aerodynamics.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

That is going to be one sexy beast!
edit on 17-6-2014 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join