It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikorsky passes power on test with S-97 Raider

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The first Sikorsky S-97 Raider, based on the X-2 propulsion concept, passed the power on test during production. It's about halfway through assembly at this point. Power on testing shows that the cockpit displays have been integrated. They plan to spend the next few weeks testing the other electronic systems, including flight controls.

Sikorsky plans to demonstrate the Raider to the Army next year, as a potential replacement for the AH/MH-6 Little Bird. It's designed to fly at over 200 knots, and carry 6 people besides crew.

Sikorsky is one step closer to first flight of the high-speed S-97 prototype helicopter later this year after passing the power-on milestone in the assembly process.

Activating on board power means the cockpit displays and control display unit have been integrated into the aircraft, the company says.

The first prototype aircraft is now about halfway through the assembly process, Sikorsky says.

www.flightglobal.com...
edit on 6/16/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

WOW. That chopper looks BADA$$.

A small question from someone with close to no aviation related knowledge:

Why would they lose the tail rotor and go with the 2 main rotors and rear propeller ?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutzy

It actually allows faster propulsion. The X-2 technology demonstrator used a similar system, and reached a top speed of 299 mph, with a cruise speed of 286 mph. By comparison, a conventional rotor system helicopter generally has a top speed under 200 mph, with a lower cruise speed. The Apache, which is pretty fast for a helicopter, has a top speed of 182 mph, and the Blackhawk has a top speed of 183 mph.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So I would be corect in assuming the 2 main rotors revolve in opposite directions to cancel out each other, thus deeming the tail rotor useless ?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Love your threads zaphod

Thanks for all the info and like a lot of posters commented on the jap f-15 thread the 'don't *snip*with me roll' is one thing that a lot of us didn't know

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutzy

Yes. It took a little while to solve the vibration problem they had with coax designs, but they were finally able to solve it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thanks for the info and all the other threads in Aviation Project, gives me a chance to at least know some of the things that will take to the skies in the future.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I hope this design goes somewhere (no pun intended) with the Army. It would be nice to see these zipping around. Best looking helo to come along in a long time.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
My cousin is a engineer on that project and I have a couple of friends also working on it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dutzy

So I would be corect in assuming the 2 main rotors revolve in opposite directions to cancel out each other, thus deeming the tail rotor useless ?

Bingo! Nice looking machine.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
THE X-2? The X-2 Yeager used to break the sound barrier? Also that is probably the scariest helicopter ive ever seen Without the speed.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

No, that was the X-1. The X-2 was the first to break Mach 2, and tested characteristics in the Mach 2-3 range, as they expanded the envelope.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

It's almost perfect for the Little Bird replacement. Slightly larger, as I think the Little Bird carries 4 instead of 6, much faster, not sure what the noise level will be like. Those Little Birds are damn quiet.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

It'll probably be perversely quiter at higher speeds than at low speeds. A lot of the noise from rotary-wing comes from the interaction between the tail rotor and main rotor. The pusher prop should avoid most of that. Tip speed in dash will come down before the blade tips nose toward transonic speeds as power transfers to the pusher prop, and lift increases from the rotor and stub wings.
Noise level should be good for a helo, but like you said the Little Birds are pretty quiet. The rotor disc is going to be bigger and the prop hanging out there is going to make things more interesting when getting down and dirty. That'll be a bigger issue along with agility in the scout role, I'd imagine. Still, hard to beat on speed. Might be worth it to certain customers.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
You never disappoint Zaph! That is a bad ass heli right there. Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I had no idea this was even in the works. What a badass looking chopper... 280mph is insane. I'd love to see what sort of acrobatics it's capable of as well (the little bird can do some pretty cool maneuvers as it is).

Edit to add:

I was looking at the specs (as I was wondering if it would have a gun on it anywhere): raider.sikorsky.com...

They list a .50cal and a 7.62 mm, but I don't see any room for them on the stubs. Any idea where the guns will be mounted, or is it a case of swapping out the rockets or the hellfires for guns, instead of being able to carry both?
edit on 16-6-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

It's all going to be podded. Most current drawings show only two hardpoints, but I imagine that would change at somepoint.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Jip that is correct and then with no need for a tail rotor to counter torque you can use the space for a propeller to shove you forward. the a reply to: Dutzy

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Sammamishman

It's almost perfect for the Little Bird replacement. Slightly larger, as I think the Little Bird carries 4 instead of 6, much faster, not sure what the noise level will be like. Those Little Birds are damn quiet.

There will never a true replacement for the H6. I flew the OH6 on my second trip to Vietnam and I have about 800 hours in the little animal and have experienced most everything but sex in it. I have carried four SF soldiers with me and my observer in an emergency situation when they were avoiding the bad guys. It weighed around 1100 pounds empty and grossed out at 2600 lbs so it could lift the weight but it's an issue of space inside. As long as you would carry them outside the cabin it's doable. The new little birds (MH6) have different engines with around 450 HP and improved rotor system (5 blades)were we only had 317 HP de-rated to 252 with the original 4 blade system. As long as we were at sea level below 90 degrees OAT we could fly at gross weight with little problem. Later, some OH6's were fitted with miniguns which made things tighter in the back seats.

The X2 is a very complex helicopter just the thing that you wouldn't want in a line combat helicopter unit. The army needs to have a TIMEX watch of helicopters like the Loach. It's pretty and cool looking but that doesn't always feed the bulldog. It might fly at 200Kts. but if it is not available for duty because of maintenance requirements then 150 kts will work as well. I'm afraid that the army is getting the "Buck Roger"disease from the air force.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

They already have several complex birds in the fleet, this would just be another one to add to the list.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join