It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands to Be Questioned on Eligibility for Health Insurance Subsidies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Oh this will be interesting.... I wonder how many folks were expecting this to come up?

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is contacting hundreds of thousands of people with subsidized health insurance to resolve questions about their eligibility, as consumer advocates express concern that many will be required to repay some or all of the subsidies.

Of the eight million people who signed up for private health plans through insurance exchanges under the new health care law, two million reported personal information that differed from data in government records, according to federal officials and Serco, the company hired to resolve such inconsistencies.

Pay some or all back? lol.. excuse me? With what? The people getting subsidy are the people least able to have paid much, unless they are suggesting a full 25% of then applicants to have gotten this (those being investigated here) would be fraud cases. I can't believe that though. Technical issues? Well, this might well put quite a shock into some who didn't see it coming, I'm thinking.

The government is asking consumers for additional documents to verify their income, citizenship, immigration status and Social Security numbers, as well as any health coverage that they may have from employers. People who do not provide the information risk losing their subsidized coverage and may have to repay subsidies next April.

Immigrati.....nvm.. I'll leave that one alone. Income and citizenship might be fun. That means a birth cert and all that right? So..these are the same things many are said not to have or is too difficult to obtain for photo ID's in other instances, isn't it?

In reality, however that may be about the hypocrisy suggested with other issues, this isn't a light thing I'd imagine. No one right now has a lot of spare money. Few who paid this up, asked for it but were required to.

Mara Youdelman, a lawyer at the National Health Law Program, an advocacy group for low-income people, said: “In some cases, consumers say they already sent the documents to the federal marketplace. They don’t understand why they are being asked to send them in again.”

Even though consumers have sent documents to Serco’s office in London, Ky., the government cannot always link the documents to applications for coverage filed months earlier. In addition, some consumers report persistent problems when they try to upload documents through HealthCare.gov.
Source

I suppose while it's reasonable and perfectly understandable that they would want and need to verify these things, what strikes me isn't that. It's waiting until months have passed for payment on everyone in terms of the deadline to sign up this term, and many months beyond that for a good number of others who didn't wait and signed up considerably earlier.

Hopefully things like interest or penalties won't be assessed atop whatever may come in repayment requirements. I'd not even heard of this before now.

Missing this deadline to sign up myself is starting to have looked better and better, whatever the cost of penalty may end up being. I hope no one I know on care plans now is hit, anyway.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Of the eight million people who signed up for private health plans through insurance exchanges under the new health care law, two million reported personal information that differed from data in government records, according to federal officials and Serco, the company hired to resolve such inconsistencies.

This will be the Gila Monster that Bites and doesn't let go until Sundown. Or until you pay up.

Much of these so called "discrepancies" are because of the kool-aide temptations suggested by those oh-so rich "Navigators".

There's countless numbers of people who bought the malarkey and took the golden delicious advice to lie and get better subsidies and tax credits.

Now pay up smart guys.

The IRS will chop & channel you.

I can hear the victims already: "Help !! .. But Obama said. Obama said !!"

(story from Dec 2013)

Breitbart News has obtained a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee report on the Obamacare Navigators that will be released Monday. It has found that Obamacare Navigators have been giving Americans misinformation and, in some cases, actively encouraging enrollees to commit fraud in order to raise their subsidies. To complicate matters further, there is no way for Americans to find out whether their Navigators are properly certified.

House Report: Ill-Trained Obamacare Navigators Encouraging Fraud, Jeopardizing Private Info

G-U-L-P !!

Get a Lawyer !!

Your Gonna Need One. Period !!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
My rates were extortionist plain and simple. I did qualify for a subsidy, but my husband makes more some years than others and I knew at the end of the year I would be left paying back if work went well. And the IRS is not like some of these credit cards that you can get by without paying for a pretty good while. If you owe at tax time and don't pay in a pretty short period they will levy everything you have right down to the roaming gnome yard decoration you have on your front lawn. They don't wait. They don't play games. They will get what they are owed... very shortly (in my experience at any rate).

Not only that... But I did have to worry about appearing like I was lying if he did have a really good year as well (that's a whole other fine). The whole Obamacare thing is like a 200 mile car pile up that just keeps getting worse IMO. It's a damned if you do and a damned if you don't policy and I think that they are more than just a little ok with that fact.

I have been amazed at the people I have come across that do not realize they will be paying that subsidy (plus some) back if at the end of the year you made more than you thought you would when you signed up.

I predict tax time will yield more pissed off folks that we can even comprehend at this moment. I will be glad for it and continue to hope that this farce is ended one day. I'm not holding my breath, but I can still hold out hope.
edit on 6/16/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
And not to even consider other ultimate consequences like fines for fraud etc.

Obamacare customers caught lying on their applications in an effort to bag bigger taxpayer-funded subsidies could get slapped with a $25,000 to $250,000 fine.

Page 409 of the recently released Health and Human Services regulations states that "any person who fails to provide correct information" on the Obamacare application "may be subject to a maximum civil money penalty of $25,000 for each application." Anyone who "knowingly and willfully provides false information" is subject to a "maximum civil money penalty of $250,000 for each application."

A recent Washington Post investigation of internal Obama administration documents determined that "potentially hundreds of thousands of people are receiving bigger subsidies than they deserve" because they "listed incomes on their insurance applications that differ significantly--either too low or too high--from those on file with the Internal Revenue Service."

Be extra careful with this mess. The IRS and the Justice Department WILL BE headhunting *After* the elections !!

$250,000 Fine for Lying on Obamacare Application

It's the Law. It's the Law !!

The IR-S.S. will be Nailing Anything that Moves Loose !!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
From wealth redistribution ... to debt redistribution.

What kills me about this, is that all three branches of government were complicit. What do they know that they're not tellin'?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
It is going to get much uglier as the true face of Obamacare comes out! Those pulling the strings behind the scene have done a great job diverting attention to Obama, since it is Obamacare!

And of course all three branches are complicit they are all actively destroying this country to in order to continue getting their paychecks!

Nothing but the awakening of the giant that is the American people can reverse the trend that has been happening, but hey I am sure there are some sports that could be watched or celebrities to be envied!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This very thing is the main reason that I backed out. What I make varies wildly from year to year. I can't risk that I'll fall below a certain amount of money this year and be ineligible for them, winding up having to pay back everything that I owe or that the government will have recorded something vastly different.

I'd also like to get a cross section of the political affiliation for the people involved. I wonder if it's the administration targeting conservatives yet again.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I never signed up for obama care, I wonder what they are going to do come years end. Not like I don't have health insurance through my work and I don't like being told I have to buy something I already have wtf.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Don't sign up, you owe the IRS, sign up you owe the IRS,

win win for the IRS

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

yeah what a kick in the balls for Americans a government who likes to roshambo and doesn't even give the option to let us go first.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I would not at all be surprised if many people lied on their app. It was over the internet.

Truth on the 'net?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
LOL But not real funny, unfortunately.

I can see them rechecking everyone. They are realizing, that since the young healthy people didn't flock to this, to pay for it, they are in big trouble.

Yes, Yes, you can get subsidies. We will cover all the poor and sickly people.

Oh wait, we don't have enough healthy young people to carry everyone.

Well...... about that subsidy.......

Yeah, keep trusting the government. And you will lose everything you thought you owned.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

reminds me of the roshambo

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Well, what people expect, the insurance companies are not getting their cut yet, Obama may need the over pay money to bail them out

Then we have the scandal of those on the other site of the phone promoting wrong information in order to get subsidies.

Well thankfully something good is coming out of the Obama administration after the IRS was withholding tax refunds for SS penalties of up to 30 years old.

My husband just received a letter from the IRS this weekend encouraging him to file a form to get his money back, HURRRRAY.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Sorry about this but its your screen name and when you say so reminds me of the sound of a garbage truck falling off the empire state building. Pretty heavy advice =D still think your rad though and hope ya get a laugh perty please

Tell em Large Marge sent ya

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There are so many issues! I kept getting automated calls wanting me to take a "required" health quiz.

So I went online to take it at the blue Cross website.

I took the whole thing with all the DUMB questions and then at the end it said "thank you Jim" My husbands name...sooooo now it looks like I lied about my height/ weight proportions and if i am taking med as I said NO and he has HB....so now I can't reach anyone who will tell me how to undo the stupid mess!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

People who do not provide the information risk losing their subsidized coverage and may have to repay subsidies next April.

And yet you are not allowed to just drop it and say to heck with your insurance!

Maybe the whole reason for having the insurance cost to taxpayers at twice normal rates...over $800 ec for us with a 10k deductible if you don't use their Drs. 5k with their Drs.

Maybe they will say you paid us 4$ and your info was wrong now you owe the state 1600$ for the two of you per month that we had you covered!
Would that be a money making scam or what!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I never signed up for obama care, I wonder what they are going to do come years end. Not like I don't have health insurance through my work and I don't like being told I have to buy something I already have wtf.

When I got my taxes done this year, the preparer asked if I had signed up and said that next year anyone who has not signed up will have the fines and penalties taken from their refunds.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I can tell you this much, I see the movie is hilarious, my real name is actually marg for short and I look a lot hotter than the lady in the truck. he, he.

Anyway, My husband was caught up on the SS government IRS "scam" that was going on in 2012, he was penalized for something that was no of his fault back in 1978, last year the complains were soo many that the administration stop the scamming and is refunding the withheld tax, but you have to fill out a form.

Thanks for video

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
well gee that is a shock.

I 'qualified' for a subsidy but after doing a bit of homework realized I am better off without insurance at all. the deductibles were ridiculous. and it ticked me off that we 'had to' sign up. I guess I've always been a rebel against the machine.

hopefully this will go by the wayside soon. like e-check... just another money grab.

and it sure didn't bring big pharma prices down like we were promised. competition? hah

top topics

<<   2 >>

join