It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay Google, We Get It, Now Stop Shilling the World Cup

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am one of the millions of Americans that dreads the coming of the "World Cup" every four years. This is the time when corporations and soccer fanatics (much like gay pridesters) attempt to thrust their agenda of how great their sport / lifestyle is on the rest of us who would rather watch MLB, Stanley Cup Finals or the NBA Playoffs.

Look, I get it...you love soccer and for some reason you want to push your sport on the rest of us because you feel ignored in the US. One whiny article from a pro-soccer fan started as follows...

If you're a soccer fan in America, you know the feeling of swimming against the tide every time you watch a match.

People aren't just uninterested in soccer. They hate it.

Its true that most Americans hate soccer. It is the sport that scared moms make their boys play because they think that their son is too fragile to play real Football or they don't know how to teach them baseball so they drop them off with some soccer camp at the YMCA. Frankly, soccer is a 'mom' sport in the USA. Most fathers don't want their kids to grow up faking injuries and running around a field for 2 hours without a score just to tie and go home.

Don't get me wrong, I played soccer as a kid and it was fine, but I quit once discovered baseball, tennis, bowling and other sports. It just doesn't fit into American culture as it is too slow and boring for a country that has Football, Hockey, Basketball and the national pastime, baseball. We have plenty of our own sports that we invented and frankly we don't need soccer.

Now for my official rant. Google has had a 'World Cup' advertisement on the US google.com for nearly a week now. I am fine with a one day ode to just about anything. Veteran's Day, Tesla's B-day, whatever, but Darnit, today is Father's Day and Google STILL has the 'World Cup' as their feature on the home page. I get it...there is soccer being played in another country by a bunch of people from around the world. It still ISN'T the Olympics. It isn't even the Winter Olympics.

Anyway a few more reasons to hate soccer as I leave my rant are below...

* Not Enough Contact
* Hockey is a lot like Soccer only way cooler
* Soccer is mind numbingly boring...I could watch track and field or golf if I want to be bored to death
* Soccer players are whiners who fake injuries (see Cristiano Ronaldo)
* Soccer companies use child labor to make the balls (yes, I am being *somewhat* facetious)
* People that talk soccer up beyond sanity
* Soccer is a liberal conspiracy!
* Ties (seriously?)

Yes, I know there are many of you that will come on here telling me how it is a 'beautiful game' with so many subtleties and I just don't see it, well, I also don't like curling or rhythmic gymnastics and you aren't going to convince me those are not stupid sports either.

Enjoy your father's day.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It is just the sport the rest of the world loves. Must be nothing too it.
Liberal conspiracy???? Seriously?
Every American sport fakes injuries, the nhl had their fair share of embellishment fouls in the Stanley cup.
And ties only happen in regular season play, just like every American sport out side of baseball

And very few American athletes could survive on the field with the pro futbol players, they would be gassed in the first 20 min
edit on thSun, 15 Jun 2014 15:00:37 -0500America/Chicago620143780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
you realize that your "real football" involves picking up the ball and running around with it.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Football is the worlds number one game.
Played in every country on the planet.
Which American sport can you say the same off?

Answer. None.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
you realize that your "real football" involves picking up the ball and running around with it.

Football could have a different name that more aptly describes the play style.

What does that have to do with soccer sucking?

edit on 2014/6/15 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i dont like football or soccer as you call it, but once every 4 yrs isnt so bad.
but maybe youre right and they should man up by wearing spandex and body armour like the badass americans.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

American " Football"
Basically the same game as English Rugby , but with a few rule changes. Invented 1844

Baseball.
Exactly the same game as English " Rounders" invented about 1600

Basketball
Invented by a Canadian

Ice Hockey
Exactly the same game as English Field Hockey but played on Ice instead of grass Invented 1800's

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

American " Football"
Basically the same game as English Rugby , but with a few rule changes. Invented 1844

I love the English and Rugby. Rugby is a awesome sport.

I was fortunate enough to get to play on a Rugby club in college.

wearing spandex and body armour like the badass americans

Your facts are in error.

Football jerseys are made of a polyester mesh for durability and flexibility (not spandex).

Who the heck wouldn't want to play a sport with body armor?!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

At least we had the good sense to call rugby somthing rather than lie about footballs name. Even hand-egg would have been a better name for american football. Because its not very ball shaped and they dont kick much!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Comparing football to gay pride parade

Never leave US you may get burn for heresy around the world if they catch you saying that

At least is not like seeing 6 hours of men scratching their scrotum and chewing something standing still in the ground like baseball is.

edit on 15-6-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

At least we had the good sense to call rugby somthing rather than lie about footballs name. Even hand-egg would have been a better name for american football. Because its not very ball shaped and they dont kick much!

Football could have a better name, but this rant was more about how much I hate soccer not about football or rugby being awesome sports.

Comparing football to gay pride parade

I never mentioned a gay pride parade, lol...where did you get THAT?!

# # #

I appreciate all the responses.

I know people outside the US may not understand my rant, but for millions in the US..we just don't get it...period. Soccer was okay to play when I was a kid, but I can't watch golf either even though I like to play the sport. I don't understand the fascination with soccer around the world.

My rant was somewhat tongue in cheek to begin with so don't take it too seriously or become too offended.

edit on 2014/6/15 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If the U.S. was actually any good at playing football, and had a serious chance of winning The World Cup; would you have a different opinion of the game?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I live in the US and I don't get why we as a country hate the sport so.
I think it is cause it is the cool thing to do. It is almost unamerican to like soccer it seems here in the good olé USA.
Probably cause our men's team has never been the power house that America would want.
Seems our people only like the sports the USA is good at.
Our women's team is pretty damn good tho but that of course gets over looked.
And many countries do not get our obsession with football so I guess the feeling is mutual.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Should add the us men's team. Cause the women's is usually up there in the finish, if not a favorite to win

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

If the U.S. was actually any good at playing football, and had a serious chance of winning The World Cup; would you have a different opinion of the game?

No. It would be a shame for the US to win since few here would care and it would mean so much to some other country to win.

And the US will never be good since our best athletes will always play something else.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Football is awesome, some day you will realize just because you dont like it you dont need to hate it.

Every poor kid can kick a stone in the dirt and play football, trowing stones at each other is more difficult, that's why football is loved elsewhere anyone can play it anywhere with anything.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: alldaylong

Should add the us men's team. Cause the women's is usually up there in the finish, if not a favorite to win

Women's sports are getting more popular in the US. It doesn't surprise me that our women do well as a lot of other countries still don't value women as we do in the West. Also, soccer is more of a girls sport here so there isn't any stigma associated with women that play. Another thing, they don't have football to take away the elite female athletes.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Football is awesome, some day you will realize just because you dont like it you dont need to hate it.

Every poor kid can kick a stone in the dirt and play football, trowing stones at each other is more difficult, that's why football is loved elsewhere anyone can play it anywhere with anything.

A lot of it is the minority of people that play the sport in the US have an agenda. Whenever you have people pushing an agenda you will experience a push back. No one wants to be told what they have to think or like.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

No one wants to be told what they have to think or like.

Good to know next time i see the tons of money they waste in the Superbowl® adds to the you what to think and like

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

And the US will never be good since our best athletes will always play something else.

Actually it is cause the sport doesn't give the training out here that other countries get. I mean our MLS is still in it's infant stages compared to the other pro leagues we have here in the states.
The US coach was talking about it, here in the US you play soccer to get a scholarship, so you may go to a school that doesn't have the coaching or the talent to progress your skills and they die out. Where as in germany you play to make a pro team from the teens and the talent level and coaching and training you get out there is far superior to what is available in the states.
This was coming from his discussion on the number of german-american players on the squad right now

Another thing, they don't have football to take away the elite female athletes.

Again, that is not the case. We are not losing our great soccer players to american football, huge difference in what is needed to play.
How many 6'3' 250 players do you see playing for other countires soccer teams?
messi and CR7 would never survive on an american football field.
Well endurance wise they would run circles around every one out there. But as far as mechanics go, I watched a video of CR7 throwing a football.... it was pathetic.
He did then go and kick a 50 yarder with some distance left on it, so actually as a kicker with some practice they would dominate that position

edit on thSun, 15 Jun 2014 16:21:42 -0500America/Chicago620144280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thSun, 15 Jun 2014 16:36:38 -0500America/Chicago620143880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join