It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 things Americans hate about the Brits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What I hate about British and European people is that they love to instigate conflicts with Americans with their anti-American rhetoric. We are who we are, us Americans, so all I can say is, "get over it and find something else to complain about".

They criticize the American way of life. All I can say is, "you don't live here, so stop making it your problem".

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: samerulesapply
a reply to: LABTECH767

I know what you mean. I grew up in Glasgow but work in Edinburgh a lot and the same mentality is at play on both sides, Glasgow folk hate Edinburgh folk and vice-versa.

I mentioned it in another thread not long ago, no matter where you go in the UK, the folk in the next town over have sexual relations with sheep, etc. It's quite funny.

But you're spot on about one thing - a lot of it is bigotry due to football rivalries. Sadly, I know too many people who are raising their kids to think the opposition are evil incarnate, so I don't see that ending any time soon, particularly in Glasgow and Edinburgh where the sectarian attitudes are quite hardcore.

The rivalry is quite funny - "Edinburgh may be the capital, but Glasgow's got the capital" meaning that Edinburgh may be the capital city, but Glasgow's got the money. Or "I once shook hands with a lady from Morningside, took me three weeks to recover from frostbite".

From a viewpoint of Edinburgh, Glasgow is full of NED's, chavs, townies and other delinquents who manage to figure out how to buy tickets on the train system and make their way to Edinburgh

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
What and nothing about all the free stuff that the Goverment gives away and how people in the u.k are boxed in like cattle

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
There are plenty of negative things and good things about both the US and UK, perhaps someday somehow the good things from the likes of Sweden and Switzerland will be added to the good things and a utopian ideal formed.

Is it time to get up yet? Did I just dream that?

Anyhow, some things I like about the US:

long straight roads
plenty of land
bigger houses
amazing geography and scenery
movies

and some things I like about the UK:

Earl grey tea
reservedness
villages
pretty gardens and scenery
amazing historical buildings, places and history

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
jeremy kyle

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Lol, I don't know about that.

Personally, I don't criticise the American way of life, in fact I think it's caught on here in the UK.

We're more americani(s)ed than ever, some wouldn't care to admit that but it's true. Personally, I always thought we were quite similar and I don't dislike America at all, really. The government is a little OTT but I live in the UK and we're pretty much on an even keel with regards to that.

To me, it always seemed that many countries in Europe tried to adopt the American way of life.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Lol...is that a like for JK or a dislike?

Let's start a new thread...who's more wretched, Jeremy Kyle or Piers Morgan.

That'd be epic.
edit on 16-6-2014 by samerulesapply because: Dunno what happened there...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Nothing major about Americans annoys me, but.....

Their obsession with the Royal Family, the misconceptions that Liz is The Queen of England and that we are all her subjugated subjects.

Their criticism of British food - this from the nation whose contribution to world cuisine is Grits.

The insular outlook many Americans have - bear in mind most Americans will never even leave the state they were born in.

American beer. Despite my considerable efforts I simply don't like US beer. Granted my experiences are limited to the more well known brands but I just can't get away with it. And I assure you, I like drinking beer.....and lots of it.

The insistence on calling the final series of the US domestic baseball season 'The World Series'. How can a competition that comprises of teams from the USA and a token representation from Canada be in anyway be described as the 'World Series'? The football World Cup that is currently being played in Brazil is a genuine World competition and the winners can rightly be described as 'World Champions'. Oh, and just for the record, I actually enjoy watching Baseball and would love to one day watch a game live.

US style. Sorry, US fashion leaves a lot to be desired.

The sacred reverence which many Americans hold The US Constitution in.
Yes, its a great piece of work....but its not unique and its inspiration lies in several European pieces of legislation, something many fail to acknowledge or understand.
And just because other nations lack an equivalent doesn't mean to say they are not equally 'free' or that they somehow don't hold true to the same values of freedom and equality.

To be provide a bit of balance', things I DO like about America;

Mike Ness.
The man is an absolute legend and national treasure.

Jack Daniels.
A great drink.

American self-belief and drive.
The belief that anyone can achieve anything they want to despite their social background etc.
Americans can be incredibly single minded when they decide that they want something.
Neither are by any means unique to the US, but it is far more noticeable in them than in any other nationality I've met.

Naivety and positivity.
We Brits, and probably most Europeans, tend towards the cynical and a blasé 'we've seen it all before' attitude. (I know I'm certainly guilty of it).
Americans are far less cynical and positive in their beliefs. Sure, at times it comes across as naïve and arrogant but if the truth is to be told I think its refreshing and can have a positive effect on others.
And as a general rule of thumb they still believe that a better world is achievable.

The size of the portions in your restaurants, diners etc.

NASA.
Yes, I know it has its critics, and some if not most of it is justified but its head and shoulders above any other similar institution and it has been responsible lots of innovations that have helped improve our lives.
And the mere thought of space and space travel still fascinates me to this day.

Bill Hicks.
A very funny and wise man.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

5. American Entertainment. - What the *snip* has happened to American Entertainment? The movies suck. Music sucks. TV sucks. Anything that comes out of the American Entertainment Industry lately is 100% unfiltered garbage. Commercials even suck! I wonder how these company's sell anything with those terrible ads...

Are you kidding? Sure, there is garbage, but also gold like Game of Thrones, Dexter, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, and major worldwide blockbuster movies and Oscar winners. Everyone else still imitates....

7. We drive on the wrong side of the road here in America.

No, we drive on the RIGHT side. See? It's even in the name...."right" side....

8. Americans felt the need to invent a separate measurement system rather than just using the BETTER metric system which is in place everywhere else in the world.

You do realize that our system is called the "English System of Measurement", correct? You blokes didn't adopt it (Metric System) formally until 1965! You can't pin this one on the Yanks mate! We simply refused to change. We're stubborn that way.

edit on 17-6-2014 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
One I saw the other day...

The way Americans say these words

Genuine
Route
Herb

Also quite a 'funny' list here

www.bbcamerica.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>