It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so how is online piracy justified again?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
well, why has no one mentioned games? games that have advertisements plastered in every form of media.... pop up ads, on the tv, in the game stores and even at walmart. games they move the release date back for to drum up more anticipation, make "pre-order" packs for to get you to purchase it before you have played it...... and then they ship out a bug-ridden, half-completed, infinite script-looping, unoptimized, ctd-ing, console ported, pos that ain't worth your time to play, let alone worth paying 60 effing dollars for. yeah..... i feel real guilty, considering the last 8 games i downloaded were deleted within an hour of downloading them due to their utter crappiness. just saved my self ~450 dollars because i didn't give it to those rich lazy Fuc8ks who can't be bothered to finish their "product". hell, I COULD SH*T ON A THUMB DRIVE AND CALL IT DIGITAL MEDIA!!! when i do keep a game, which hasn't been in a LONG time (fallout new vegas) i do buy it. they aren't robbing me anymore.

edit on 15-6-2014 by fixitwcw because: ....

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MeteoraXV

When you have a 9yr old boy going on at you constantly...yeh you do NEED to see the film to get a bit of peace

But if the film is worth the money then I don't mind paying the money, but there ain't been a lot of films out that's worth the prices

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: oblvion
Your opinion obviously comes from the upper class view point. I say you have an upper class point of view simply because you assume( PLZ dont make an ASS out of U and ME) everyone has your bank balance to work with.
uhm do you know me? my financial situation? my background? do you? no actually i've never been part of the upper class, i'm just a simple lower class person. very lower class actually, sh-t is expensive where i live. i barely get by in life. but the difference between me and a lot of the other lower class people like yourself and other users in this thread is that i am not a lower class person wanting to live like an upper class person, in this case, through illegal means. if you're a lower class person, live like a lower class person and strive to reach a higher class through legal means and not by trying to be an upper class person through a sense of entitlement.

i don't know how you got the idea that i'm an upper class person

furthermore, i can't remember where is said that i assume everyone has a nice fat bank account? can you tell me where i said that?
Piracy on the net would evaporate over night if the already stupid rich didnt overcharge for crap product.
why do you want said crap product if it's crap?
Point blank, the movies charges at least 3 times what it is worth, maybe even up to^6times at some locations.
that is not the movie creator's problem. they do not set the ticket price. the entertainment, in this case the movie, has no bearing on ticket prices, at least as far as i know. from what i know, all tickets to all movies are the same, so if an individual movie is crap but it still cost you full price, well that's just how it is, this is how it works. but it's not the movie's fault. distributors sell movies to theaters and they get the lion's share of ticket profits. theaters make most of their money from selling food and drinks. read this, it's good stuff:
entertainment.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If I buy a car, I can legally let a million peeps use it, no probs.
yup
Why if I buy and now own a movie is it a problem if I let a million people see it ? The reason is simple, it is idiotic greed on the part of those that already have way too much.
it is a problem when you make it a public viewing or when you make copies of the movie and distribute it.

regarding the rest of your post, it's mostly emotional arguments. look i agree that these companies are all very rich but they have a right to be rich because they worked to get there. they never forced you to watch their movies. you want to watch a movie that's fine but you're going to have to pay for it.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
oh i had no idea that, i dunno, geffen records, hbo, rockstar games, apple, what have you...is telling you you're scum. my guess is your trying to project your anger for tptb onto individual companies that sell products and deserve their compensation, in an attempt to justify piracy. i guess if you believe in the illuminati in the entertainment industry...well that's a whole different area i don't know much about and don't want to go to...
edit on 15-6-2014 by MeteoraXV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
-

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon
i don't know how many times i have said this throughout this thread now:

if you can't afford something you don't really need, too bad!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: fixitwcw
no one was robbing you in the first place! because they never forced you to buy their crap games. when a product is advertised, it is obviously meant to be bought and not to be downloaded. if you can't afford it, well then ignore the advertising. unless you want to equate advertising with being brain washed and forced to buy a crap video game against your will.
bug-ridden, half-completed, infinite script-looping, unoptimized, ctd-ing, console ported
i don't get it. i assume everyone does a bit of exploring, a bit of becoming familiar with the product they plan to buy, before they go out to actually buy it. how is that different with a video game? do you not play a demo or go to youtube first to check the graphics, the gameplay, the story, the music, do you not ask about the length of the game? or read previews and reviews of the game? there are literally millions of gaming sites out there writing articles on new video games? what do you think these sites are for in the first place??

if you receive a crap video game as you stated above, what's preventing you from returning it?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer
well i completely understand and if you go out to pay for the movie then i don't see the problem. going to the cinema is fun. expensive yeees i know...but that's just how it is. the trip there costs money obviously, that's a given, the ticket price itself is set, any concession items you buy at the theater are also relatively expensive because that's their main source of income...literally it's like 85%+ of their income, at least from what i've read. but yeah cinema visits are a luxury

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
well i guess that' wraps up this discussion

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MeteoraXV
i don't know how many times i have said this throughout this thread now:

if you can't afford something you don't really need, too bad!

No if I can't afford something I don't really need, I look for solution if I want it...piracy gives me that opportunity.

I don't think you can ever truly win this discussion, I don't care what you think, I dont know why you bother caring so much.

Last great film I saw online was Divergent....a film which began life as a book and was for the best part copied to trun into a film.

If I hadn't seen Divergent, then I wouldn't in turn have bought the book for my son, which was the original, it also just so happens to be better than the film, furthermore, we bought the second book off the back of this and very soon we are going to buy the third, my son is hooked!

Given that you have dabbled in piracy in the past, I really don't think the reformed pirate suits you sir, it certainly isn't influencing anyone.

We all make our own choices, you make yours....I will make mine!

edit on 15-6-2014 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'll bite...

What have we learned so far?

No one will care about piracy or file sharing until it effects them personally. Until then, pro piracy advocates will justify it to fit their needs and wishes...and those creative peep's they steal from, whether they be film makers or artists and musicians be damned. So go ahead...create a hit album, develop some great software, and most importantly- makes sure you leave your blood sweat and tears along with it. I'm sure you'll be just fine to watch the kids take it from you for free. They'll buy it if they like it...right?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MeteoraXV

Same way wealth redistribution is justified:

I want sumpin for nuttin.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Thefarmer
well too bad for them! again, they don't need to watch the latest x-men film because no one is forcing them to! YOU and you alone choose to want to see the damn movie. you need water to survive, not movies. if you have the money to go out and watch a movie, great. if you don't too bad. that doesn't justify illegal downloading. i never really get why people keep using the "i can't afford it so i have to download it"-argument...
OP, you seem to have this "nobody is making you" mindset.

It is stupid. Nobody is making them charge way too much for crap product, but they still are.

I am do and will continue to Dl and watch and buy bootleg versions of, all media, until such a time as they stop overcharging.

It is entertainment, it is meant to be viewed and enjoyed. I am viewing and enjoying it. I wont be paying some already overly wealthy douche bag a penny for it either.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

If I buy a car, I can legally let a million peeps use it, no probs.
yup
Why if I buy and now own a movie is it a problem if I let a million people see it ? The reason is simple, it is idiotic greed on the part of those that already have way too much.
it is a problem when you make it a public viewing or when you make copies of the movie and distribute it.

regarding the rest of your post, it's mostly emotional arguments. look i agree that these companies are all very rich but they have a right to be rich because they worked to get there. they never forced you to watch their movies. you want to watch a movie that's fine but you're going to have to pay for it.

Reality disagrees. In fact, I just streamed another movie and guess what, I didnt and wont pay them a dime for it.

What can they do? Sue me? lol, they would spend thousands of times more on a lawyer, than the movie even costs, to make me pay for the movie? Ya not gonna happen.

In response to you saying all the rest of my post was emotional arguements, and then just ignoring them......well we are human, and we are emotional, which is the reason folks make and then overcharge for movies etc......so I would say emotion has a lot to do with this situation. SO your totally ignoring it is a flat out deflection, in the face reality.

You asked the question, I gave you the actual answer. Not some dressed up version, but the actual human reason for it.

Dont ask stupid questions, you wont get human answers.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
From: Copyright and Trademark owner, Muisc and Novels: Receiving quarterly world wide royalties affected by this subject.

I support file sharing. When we began creating music and writing original works, we never anticipated that tech would advance so far that anyone can grab, copy and pass it back and forth.

But it did. I believe now a way has to come to bridge what is considered "original intellectual property" rights and the public.

I make pennies on sales worldwide, and if none is sold, I get nothing. Ok. That's fine. We have to move along some other way. One of the best is Amazon sale of our music and subscription services where we get a little from the subscription companies. Great group? Lots. Old time group? A little less. Popular groups right now? Prob the most in unit sales percentages.

We're getting there...slowly. And thats ok. I'd really prefer the term "SHARING" as opposed to "PIRACY". Both sides in this issue are right. Both can benefit fairly.

Ill close here now with just a last thought. Why do you think every game, video or D.V.D.-C.D. has that FBI warning on it? What do you think its there for?

Time will change and we all will learn to share, and that's ok. And Im a copyright OWNER....

FYI: Received $423 for the last quarter in royalties/sales, $3500 for the entire last year (2013).
"The Sopranos", "Tommy Boy" and "Trains, Planes and Automobiles"? The TV show paid $20,000 4 years ago, and the other movies paid $2,500 each for permission.

Once.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
No if I can't afford something I don't really need, I look for solution if I want it...piracy gives me that opportunity.
yup which is illegal
and if you don't need something - why do you want it anyways?
I don't think you can ever truly win this discussion, I don't care what you think, I dont know why you bother caring so much.
i already won the moment i wrote my opening post, piracy is never justified, plain and simple
If I hadn't seen Divergent, then I wouldn't in turn have bought the book for my son, which was the original, it also just so happens to be better than the film, furthermore, we bought the second book off the back of this and very soon we are going to buy the third, my son is hooked!
that's nice but it doesn't make it alright that you didn't pay for the movie in the first place
Given that you have dabbled in piracy in the past, I really don't think the reformed pirate suits you sir, it certainly isn't influencing anyone.
my goal is just trying to make people understand that piracy is wrong. i see too many people denying it. kind of like right wingers denying global warming. whether they engage in it or not, people should at least acknowledge on a basic level that piracy is wrong. kind of like my other thread on acknowledging that we (black white asian mixed) are all racist/bigoted to a degree
edit on 16-6-2014 by MeteoraXV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Tuned Agent
pretty much this
same thing with global warming denying wingnuts

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
yeah i guess (not)
comparing piracy, the act of which is rooted in the entitlement mentality of the younger generations, to wealth distribution, practiced since ancient times for it is extremely crucial to a healthy socioeconomic composition of a population, doesn't make much sense

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
OP, you seem to have this "nobody is making you" mindset.
yes and for good reason
It is stupid. Nobody is making them charge way too much for crap product, but they still are.
first of all, anyone can release whatever they want and charge any price they want. it is their product. you can choose not to buy it and move on - yet you still want it so you download it. even if nobody is making them charge way too much, why do you want it? and why do you want product which you yourself say is crap?
I am do and will continue to Dl and watch and buy bootleg versions of, all media, until such a time as they stop overcharging.
piracy is a crime and is thus not the right way to make them bring down the price of their product. committing crime is rarely ever the right way to try to make a change. there are numerous other ways of getting your point across. in the meanwhile - you still get to enjoy their products for free.
It is entertainment, it is meant to be viewed and enjoyed. I am viewing and enjoying it. I wont be paying some already overly wealthy douche bag a penny for it either.
yes i agree. entertainment, as long as it is paid for, can be enjoyed.
it doesn't matter if you don't want to pay wealthy people because they are already wealthy - they can be gazillionares yet they still deserve the compensation they are legally owed for their product. your emotional argument (wealthy douchebag) doesn't make any sense.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join