It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man calls for help during home invasion, gets voicemail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This has got to be someone's worst nightmare, being in the middle of a robbery and calling for help and you get...voicemail.

A home invasion and robbery in Pasco County is exposing some problems in the 911 dispatch system.

It happened earlier this week on Gwain Road in Port Richey. A man called 911 after four robbers with guns broke into his home, demanded money and prescription drugs.

The dispatcher tried to transfer the call from the fire department to law enforcement side of things – but he got a voicemail just as the crooks returned to the home.

Chaos ensues. The man takes matters into his own hands and shoot one of the robbers.

He then tells the dispatcher that he's been robbed, and two women in the home were physically hurt.

Now I would like to say I am not anti-police or anything like that. I have many friends who are police, sheriff, swat, military, etc. and they are some of the most respected and esteemed individuals I know. But you can't rely on them to take care of everything for you.

I think this is a wonderful example of responsible gun ownership for protecting his family. Are guns going to fix every problem you have? Of course not (that's what artillery is for!).

Criminals are cowards. There were four with guns and he shoots one of them. They all run (probably with their pants down at their knees). Later on 3 out of the 4 are caught. It is sad this family was injured during the home invasion, but it could have been MUCH WORSE if they chose to do nothing.

www.myfoxtampabay.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Calling 911 when there is an immediate life and death emergency is a waste of time. Average response time once dispatched is between 9 and 12 minutes.

Add onto that the time it takes to reach a phone and call and speak to an operator who may or may not transfer you before dispatch occurs.

If your house is on fire call the fire department.
If somebody needs medial attention call the ambulance dispatch in your area or transport the person yourself if you can.
If armed goons have broken into your home shoot them or run away.

In every case you act for yourself help will arrive sooner.

Or politely ask the attackers to wait a moment while you explain the situation to the operator.

"Police are on their way" means something in real time. Usually it means more time than any attacker needs.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

That's exactly right. The police are responsible for answering your emergency because it is technically a liability issue.

If someone called 911 saying they were being robbed and physically injured, they cannot sue the city or police department because dispatch didn't get there in time and save them instead of standing up for themself.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Look...I'd rather have my gun at the end of my fingertips...than a telephone to the Police....

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
When seconds count, the police are minutes away!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone. Gun control is hitting your target.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Exactly why we all need to stand up for our right to defend ourselves and our loved ones from any and all threats. Defense of rights not specifically named is the purpose of the 9th Amendment. Police are mostly the cleanup crew, and they are way too heavy to carry in one's pocket.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
If your house is on fire call the fire department.
If somebody needs medial attention call the ambulance dispatch in your area or transport the person yourself if you can.
If armed goons have broken into your home shoot them or run away.

The first thing I taught my future wife when she moved in was to use my Sig. After getting her comfortable with the weapon at the range we reviewed what to do in case of armed intruders.

Calling the police was not instruction #1.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Good choice. Helped my wife pick out a nice little Taurus 9mm a few years back, and taught her how to field strip it and clean it. Now, after a few trips to the range, she is a better shot than me with that little gem. She loads it with 147gr hollow points to be sure of defensive capability.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
True story on my way to work this morning guy ran a red light in his crown vic and T boned a new Challenger guy in the Challenger looked messed up and it happened right in from of me so i picked up my cell dialed 911 and it rang for like 20 seconds then the lady picks up 911 emergency please hold click....................1 min 45 seconds later she picks up and i tell her about the accident. I kept thinking to myself what if i was dying right now. What if my neighbor was being stabbed to death before my eyes and all I can do is dial 911...

new topics

top topics

join